Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tried to Warn You This Guy Sucked • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 4, 2017.

1. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

"George Washington didn't give up on the Revolutionary War" :crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh:

Sorry haha, that line threw me way off!

FTank, Aaron Mook and seimagery like this.
  2. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

*post about band member of band that isn't that well liked being a shitty person*

"What an idiot"

*comment with victim account and example of band member of band people like also being shitty*

"WHOA now let's not jump to conclusions"

3. Dan O'Neill

Regular

Cute is What We Aim For opened for Dredg? Jeez, that's definitely one of the few shows I would have skipped the opening band on purpose. ;)

4. FrankieThe4th

things have never been stranger Prestigious

Transphobia is what he aims for.

5. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Fuck this dude.

And because of my avatar and what's being said, I'll make it clear how I view it compared to ths, which is that Eric is a total dick for what he did to that girl, but unlike this guy he's currently only made one shitty mistake we know of. This guy has had multiple chances and ruined all of them. If Eric does something else, I'd want him gone from Turnover.

6. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Emery was the official opener(still odd), they were just a local band not even listed on flyer. It's before they were signed

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  7. that's lame, everything about this post is lame. why are you doing that here ? this community improved so much, why do you want it to take a huge step back ?

8. i just got out of an abusive relationship, tho i'm a man and my ex partner is a woman. i won't let anyone tell Jason or other users that what that Eric guy did isn't reprehensible, or that he doesn't deserve to be blamed. fuck that, you're all part of the problem.

9. like what the hell, if you can't stand debates, you're the problem, it's not this site that is toxic, that's you and your views. the irony is going strong

10. Fucking Dustin

What even is concrete evidence?

"Oh I guess I should've filmed this guy in Turnover manipulating his girlfriend" Like what?

11. Fucking Dustin

I don't get it. I don't get why everyone has to have a "take" when someone is abusive or misogynistic/racist/homophobic. Someone can just be those things and you can just be against being those things.

tyramail likes this.
  12. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I remember when I worked for AP this guy would message me CONSTANTLY begging me to post about the fucking band. Like, multiple times a day.

13. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

i am sorry to hear that and im glad that you are out of that relationship, i too was in a pretty rough relationship with a woman and suffered some mental abuse to my sincere condolences. Just wanted to say thank you for sharing and for being sensible because yeah, users like the ones above are part of the problem and are extremely toxic

14. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

While I agree Eric is a piece of shit for being a manipulative cheater, I just don't see it in the realm as telling entire racial groups and gender groups that their problems are fake. But Eric is a douche, nonetheless. It's interesting how some degree of idolization occurs with bands we like, to the point where defending gross acts becomes so common.

15. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Right?! Being against those kinds of things doesn't need any sort of argument or explanation.

16. CoffeeEyes17

everyone has their own line to draw, for me and many others 1 example of manipulating and emotionally abusing a woman is crossing a major line and is enough for us to want to sever ties with the band entirely. But I would be remiss to not admit that I too am fans of problematic musicians so idk.

I dont think Turnover have acknowledged this though, have they?

17. Fucking Dustin

Exactly, like, people can choose where their own line is and decide what they want to listen to based on certain actions. I'm all for that.

And at the same time people can see an example of someone doing something shitty (for example manipulating and abusing a woman) and say "That's not okay" and not make it a time to try and justify it or defend themselves for listening to the music. Like, defending listening to an artist is not worth dragging someone who was abused through the dirt and discounting their experience. (Of course I'm just going a bit further on what you're already saying and know you're on my side about that.)

18. CoffeeEyes17

Yeah when it comes to someone else being harmed, whatever form that may take, and there's proof of that then that's where I'm like "ok I'd be ashamed if someone knew I listened to this band now" and would do all I could to speak out against that while also respecting someone's opinion. It's the tightrope of having your own line to draw but also being a decent human being and having empathy for your fellow person

19. Chcurry182

Trusted Supporter

I can kinda see where you’re coming from. People can get defensive when another person asks, “How is this band members behavior wrong?” And instead of explaining the reasoning on why the band member messed up, the tone of their response (sometimes) becomes aggressive.

(I’m not defending anyone, clearly both Eric and Shaant fucked up, especially Shaant.)

20. aniafc May 5, 2017
    (Last edited: May 5, 2017)
    aniafc

Trusted

Abuse is abuse. Period.

Just because YOU look at it and think "oh, that's not that bad" doesn't mean that the victim looks at it the same. Just because you might be able to move past it, doesn't mean the victim has or will.

How can we be more concerned with "guys, let's not drag the entire band down" or "this isn't AS BAD as this other situation so it's okay" than making sure that women feel safe in this scene?

21. Swoon, this is the same old bigot with a new touch
    I am safe cause I'm male and straaaaaaight

22. CoffeeEyes17

Excellent post, I'm not sure if I've seen you around the site but this is spot on and accurate thank you

Petit nain des Îles and MegT585 like this.
  23. MegT585

Trusted

Thank you so much for this. This is worded perfectly.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  24. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I think that the Oatmeal piece that @Jason Tate had up the other day is sort of what happens in these situations (referring to the turnover argument) People form these ideas about a band they love, so when they hear that this band that they love has done a bad thing, instead of accept it as fact they fire back, because it challenges their belief about a band that they have fallen in love with. I really loved that oatmeal post by the way, found it really interesting

25. jorbjorb

7 rings

I like the band but agree that their abusive partner sucks. Hopefully they can replace him because it's not that hard to play their stinky songs anyways.