Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Travel • Page 5

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

If you're trying to squeeze it into a week with both Paris and London, it's trying to do way too much and you'll do injustice to all the cities. That being said, Rome is worlds better than Paris imo.

Rome -- Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, and the Vatican Museums are my must sees for a short trip. Colosseum ticket also gets you into the Palantine Hill, which is great to explore/is the oldest part of the city ruins. I love the pizza around there. The Pantheon is between the Trevi and Navona, so definitely worth the stop in. So is the world's best gelato shop, Giolitti. Highly recommend the Bailey's gelato.

permanentann likes this.
  2. permanentann

we'll kick it when I hit the ground

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely keep that all in mind. How did you get from place to place? Taxi or something?

A week (maybe like 8 days) is definitely a short amount of time to cram things in, but that's what we've got time for with limited PTO haha. It's me, my boyfriend, and my friend going, and he and I have already been to Paris. I think we know it well enough to get through it in about two days because my friend really wants to go. And she has friends in London who can kind of lead us around. Rome is really where we'll have no idea what we're doing (we originally thought Oslo, where we have a friend, but there are Groupon trips for those three cities SOOO). I dunno, I think it will turn out okay!

3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I just walked everywhere. I lived in Italy for nine months, and just kinda adapted to that part of the culture. Most of the main sights of Rome are within walking distance of each other, or a quick subway ride away to get over to the Vatican.

4. permanentann

we'll kick it when I hit the ground

5. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Ha, awesome. I'm so stoked.

I just booked a horseback riding tour. Icelandic horses look like little fluffy hipsters.

6. Neo Cassady

Summer taunts the weak. Prestigious

Go a block or two away from the touristy areas for much better food.

permanentann likes this.
  7. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

haha that they do. they're a site in themselves.

8. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Seems to fit here: Parts Unknown season 7 starts tonight.

j0hnnyrt likes this.
  9. reginaletsgo

Not sure how much you've already booked but have you considered doing day tours out of Reykjavik rather than renting a car? I went solo to Iceland last June for 4 days and had an amazing time. I took a Golden Circle tour and a South Coast/Glacier Lagoon tour. The glaciers were one of the highlights of the trip for sure. Both with small tour companies so I was with max 20 other people and it was nice to have other people to talk to, and not have to worry about driving.

Definitely skip the Blue Lagoon, I did and have no regrets. If you like snorkeling or diving, you can do either at Silfra, which is the fault line separating North America and Europe. I wanted to do it but didn't have time. Also make sure you spend some time in Reykjavik itself.. such a cool place.

js977 likes this.
  10. scyllarecords

Hi guys and girls! I have a trip to the USA planned and some advice would be wonderful.

I am flying to the NYC at the end of May and will be there 5 days. Then I'm flying to Nashville for 4 or 5 days. After that I'm driving down to Orlando before flying to Austin, TX where I'll stay for 4 days.

If anyone has any cool things that I should aim to do whilst on my trip let me know. Things that are a little less known would be great.

Also a few specific questions:

1) I'm looking to pick up The Hotelier's album in New York. Any recommendations of great record stores in NYC (That would stock that record on vinyl).

2) The drive from Nashville ---> Orlando is going to be done over 2 or 3 days. Any thing cool we should check out on the way?

11. muttley

@scyllarecords I don't have any info on those areas. Just wanted to mention I bought some Person L records from you guys years ago haha.

12. scyllarecords

@muttley Ah awesome! I was actually listening to that record over the weekend. So nice! I forgot it plays in 45rpm!

muttley likes this.
  13. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

I'll be studying abroad in Berlin starting June 19. 5 weeks. Any places you lovely people recommend?

I'll going to start reading through the thread right now.

muttley likes this.
  14. Jude Law

You don't fucking scare me! I fuck you!

If you are going to Rome, visit the Antico Caffè Greco. It's brilliant.

Historic figures including Stendhal, Goethe, Bertel Thorvaldsen, Mariano Fortuny, Byron, Franz Liszt, Keats, Henrik Ibsen, Hans Christian Andersen, Felix Mendelssohn, Morrissey, Wagner, Levi, María Zambrano and even Casanova have had coffee there.

Of course I would also recommend the common tourist attractions such as the Spanish Steps, Villa Borghese gardens, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, the Vatican Museums and the Colosseum.

I also visited the Jewish Museum of Rome which is a good place to check out if you have extra time on your hands.

permanentann likes this.
  15. I'm in San Francisco for the first time today on a work trip. I've barely scratched the surface but so far I love it here. Feels more like NYC on the west coast if that makes sense? At least when you compare it to LA/SD/other coastal cities in CA.

muttley and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  16. muttley

I haven't been to NYC but that makes sense to me. It's more condensed which gives it that real city feel, not spread out like SD or LA.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  17. mena

This whole box is Pepe Silvia! Prestigious

I've been really wanting to go to Nashville. Trying to plan something with a few friends, but if that falls through I'm willing to just go by myself at this point.

18. muttley

I don't know why, but I've been hearing a lot about Nashville lately. Maybe I'm just noticing it more for whatever reason.

19. mena

I haven't experienced much of the South, so I've been wanting to check out more cities there. Would love to see Charleston and New Orleans at some point too.

muttley likes this.
  20. muttley

I haven't been out that way, either. Definitely want to though. New Orleans always sounds good.

21. mena

I've only ever explored parts of Texas since I have family there. I actually really love it. Wouldn't mind living there which surprised me. Granted I saw the cities, not the stereotypical guns & Jesus parts in the middle of nowhere.

22. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

The Reichstag, Jewish memorial, and the wall are some of the thugs I'll be hitting with my program, but I'll keep the others in my mind. I pretty much have Friday-Monday to go wherever in EU as long as I'm back for class on Tuesday. I'd definitely like to travel elsewhere in GER (already doing Dresden) so I'm working as many hours as possible right now to save up some money.

How long were you there? Thanks for replying.

23. muttley

This picture of Tokyo looks like it came straight out of a dream.
    [​IMG]

24. windowbirds

close your eyes until tomorrow Supporter

I watch way too many travel shows because I want to go to all the places.

muttley likes this.
  25. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Same. The hardest thing is just deciding where you want to go next. Finally decided that I'm flying into Brisbane in September.

muttley likes this.