Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Travel • Page 4

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Evolution Kid

I may be going broke, but I'm never broken down. Prestigious

So I'm tour managing a gig in San Antonio and for the life of me can't seem to find this info online...Any one who lives in or has been to San Antonio, do you know it the taxis at the airport have to be prepaid at the airport stall? I've been to airports/taxi stands before that make you prepay based on destination so it'd be helpful to know for sure. Got different groups arriving at different times/days so I can't be there to make sure to pay for everything haha.

EDIT: May have answered my own question... this makes it look like they don't charge a preexisting flat rate for different destinations/areas. Which means I just meet everyone at the hotel to pay for their taxis as they get in.

Do I spy a west coast road trip happening? I did that last year for a couple weeks. Started in Vegas, cut across to the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon, then straight over to California and up the west coast on Highway 1 camping in the parks along the way. Easily one of the best vacations.

2. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Nashville is cool, but a little time on Broadway is about all I need. It just feels commercial for me. It's like Navy Pier in Chicago imo. I definitely recommend going out in either Midtown or Painter's Alley if you're downtown. Grab some hot chicken and head over to Centenial Park to see the Parthanon. Lastly, do a drive through music Rowe and see the major studios that are converted houses. I like Nashville a lot.

3. My friends and I spontaneously bought tickets to fly to Sydney, Australia in November. Round trip tickets were less than $600 so we jumped on it. Stoked! I've never been out of country before, let alone on a different continent. Time to get a passport!

Evolution Kid likes this.
  4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

That is so ridiculously cheap. I'd buy them if I saw them that low, too.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. Evolution Kid

I may be going broke, but I'm never broken down. Prestigious

Holy smokes that's awesome. That's just as much as my work flights for Tampa > Chicago > San Antonio > Tampa hahaha.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  6. Yeah it was so cheap we didn't even think about it. We just bought them right there on the spot, haha.

7. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Dude, $600 roundtrip is insane. That's awesome.

8. MattLikesSsips

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

Has another been to Scotland? If so, what were your highlights? We are doing a tour of Scotland next fall - Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Aberdeen, Inverness, Oban, and Glasgow. Then London for 4 days.

9. Garrett

10. Garrett

Oh shit. $700 for me. Commence freak out trying to plan a trip without any money.

11. muttley

I can't remember the location of the cities, but I think you can fly to Sydney and take a train to Melbourne? That would be a dope trip.

Better yet, skip the train and make a cycling tour out of it.

Edit: I think it's Brisbane, to Sydney, to Melbourne.

12. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Going to England and Scotland in early June, with a stopover in Iceland.

muttley likes this.
  13. Stephanie

Liz Lemon Prestigious

I visited Scotland/the UK in high school and studied abroad in Glasgow during college. I actually just recently gave someone some rec's of my favorite places in Glasgow. Here are some highlights:

The Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum in Glasgow is worth a visit. The exhibits are great, and they've got work from Salvador Dali, Picasso, Monet, Matisse, Van Gogh, etc. If you go to Kelvingrove, you can check out the West End which has a lot of shops, bars, restaurants, etc. The Botanic Gardens are there as well.

If you’re looking for an interesting/weirder museum, you can go to the Hunterian Museum. It’s sort of like the Mutter Museum in Philly.

Buchanan Street has a lot of shopping and Sauchiehall Street also has shopping but also a lot of pubs, restaurants and nightlife. (The two streets are right near each other.)

If you want really, really great views of the city, check out The Lighthouse. It’s a lighthouse in the middle of the city that you can go to the top of.

My absolute favorite pub because of the atmosphere is Babbity Bowster in Merchant City. It’s a small place, so if you go for dinner or lunch, you’ll want to get there early to ensure you have a seat. One of the reasons I loved the place is that usually on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons musicians (violins and other traditional instruments) would show up and perform, and people would sing along and it's just charming as hell. Here’s the website:Babbity Bowster | Pub with French influenced restaurant using seasonal Scottish ingredients.

All in all it's a very walkable city and the people are pretty friendly, so don't hesitate to ask people for advice, directions, etc.

MattLikesSsips likes this.
  14. Stephanie

Liz Lemon Prestigious

Sorry to double post, but if anyone is looking for cheap flight deals I recommend subscribing to the "How to Fly for Free" email list. It's curated by a guy named Scott -- he finds great deals or mistake fares and lets you know how to snag them and how long the price will probably be around for. The premium email list (with the most deals) is $29/year.

I'm subscribed to the premium list and have seen him send along deals like $600 roundtrip to China, roundtrip US to Europe for $226, and a flight to London for $417.

There is also a free list, but you only receive about a third of the deals as premium subscribers and the deals aren't quite as good.

The only downside is that obviously you're not choosing the locations (he's just sending deals he finds), but if you're flexible you can snag some good deals.

15. muttley

I'll have to sign up for that when I have more money. Airfare seems to always be the most expensive part of international travel.

16. I'll be going on my honeymoon to Iceland in a month! We're renting a car and driving around ring road for 10 days. I think we have all the touristy stuff researched but any insider tips would be appreciated!

Ferrari333SP and muttley like this.
  17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Thinking of travelling to Hong Kong around this time next year to catch the Hong Kong Sevens rugby tournament

Schooner likes this.
  18. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

My girlfriend and I went to Iceland for 5 days last year (arrived exactly one year ago today, then went to Germany, Austria, Slovenia, and Czech Republic). They were all terrific (highly recommend Slovenia for those wanting somewhere not overrun with tourists), but Iceland stole the show. We spent our first day and night in Reykjavik, rented a car and spent the second day doing the golden circle, and then drove to Vik (tiny town on the southern tip). We slept 3 nights in Vik at a small 4-bedroom bed and breakfast and used the days to drive around to nearby sights. For the last day we drove back to rejkjavik, did the blue lagoon, and got on the plane. Blue lagoon is pretty cool and was better than I expected it to be, but we mostly went because the schedule worked out. If you have the time, do it, if not, don't lose sleep. Sorry, I got really excited to talk about haha.

This summer my lady and I are looking to do a cross country drive and hitting up national parks.

j0hnnyrt likes this.
  19. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

That sounds like quite the lovely trip!

I will be renting a car for just over 24 hours due to budget constraints, and I don't want to pay for an inn since I already have my hostel booked for the entire week, but I do plan on turning the golden circle into a day trip if possible, even if it means driving 5+ hours only to end up right back in Reykjavik. I'll probably eat a large breakfast and stock up on snacks on the grocery store and hope that sustains me throughout the day. (Unless there are restaurants to stop at.)

20. MattLikesSsips

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

My wife and I spent 4 days in Vienna as part of our honeymoon. The architecture is unreal. I think it's better than Paris'. It's a big city (not as big as NYC or London) but did not have a city feel at all. Very quiet and calm.

21. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I think it'd make for a nice day trip. I will say the geysers were a bit underwhelming, but the scenery and landscapes are unreal. You'll have a blast no matter where you go. there is a rest stop at the geysers (the "middle" of the circle) where tour groups go, so there will be food there, rest assured. They had chicken wings...

We didn't get to go to Vienna because of time, but that sounds awesome. We only went to Salzburg and Hallstatt (which was absolutely stunning).

22. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

it's definitely one of those places that looks pulled straight out of a book

23. Miss Heartcore

Let's build something Together Prestigious

it has it's benefits. Unfortunately since I'm a coordinator, it's my job to take care of everyone and everything while traveling and I very rarely (almost never) have more than 1 hour to do something for myself. I feel like the Producers have more freedom to sightsee and explore. I really just want a real vacation where I don't have to do anything.

This was my dream for this year but then I bought my first place so now it's on hold. Scotland is a priority for me.

24. permanentann

we'll kick it when I hit the ground

Trying to do a weekend trip to Seattle in May, then taking my family to Orlando to do the theme parks in June, and trying to plan a week in Paris, London, and maybe Rome? in November. If anyone has any tips for Rome, they would be appreciated!