Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Travel • Page 24

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 17, 2016.

1. 333 GANG

ACAB

I was just in Bermuda for a few days. Gorgeous island.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  2. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Oslo last night (9:30pm-ish)

[​IMG]

3. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

9:30PM! Wow. Lovely (late) golden hour shot.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  4. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah man, because of how much farther north we are compared to the US, sunrise is much earlier and sunset much later than the US. When the sunlight starts filtering through your blinds at 5am, it makes it pretty hard to sleep as late as you want, haha.

I was a bit disappointed to see so many clouds in the sky when I got to that point yesterday, but thankfully enough sun broke through to get that shot. FYI I did have to turn the shadow effect way down in Lightroom, in order to get as much light reflection on the plants and buildings as possible. Besides that, only piece of editing I did.

5. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Reminds me of living on Cape Cod for the last couple of years. Sunrise was just insanely early way out there in that timezone compared to NC where we were prior to that.

Anthony_Soprano and Ferrari333SP like this.
  6. -deleted-

-

I miss vacationing to Cape Cod. I watched my mom crash a moped into some bushes 15 years ago there.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  7. Iain

Regular

Booked a trip to Orlando next September. Absolutely on tourist mode. Anything anyone would recommend outside of the usual stuff (Disney/universal)? Also please recommend anything must do at the theme parks also.

Really hoping to catch a gig but it’s a bit early for those shows to be announced.

8. stonecoldnimrod

roamer. wanderer. nomad. vagabond.

now that i just got over the newest variant of covid, i hope i'll survive a week in vegas this september.
    def getting another/new booster before my weekend in los angeles in december for the THRICE illusion of safety show.
    and maybe a fall weekend in chicago or nyc... who knows! once flight prices go down.

if you're renting a car, def take a drive up to daytona beach.
    if you're into sports, def go to a orlando fc soccer game. been meaning to check out their new-ish little stadium they have there now.
    my memory is a little hazy, but orange street area downtown was a cool place to kill some time.

JoshIsMediocre likes this.
  9. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Had a great vacation weekend. Did so much in just two days and I was so relaxed and comfortable and of course the entire airport experience ruins it by cancelling my flight about 8 hours before it’s supposed to leave so now I gotta sit in the Phoenix airport for 4 hours between flights after sitting in this same airport for 3 hours on Saturday. Same terminal and goddamn gate and everything lol

Definite first world problems but man, what a come down after such a beautiful and relaxing weekend. Like; if there was a faster / easier / better way to go from “end of vacation” to “already home” man… someone’s gonna make a lot of money figuring that out lol

10. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Going to Google this as well, but does anyone have a credit card specific for traveling or flights to get points that they like?

11. fastlife

Regular Supporter

I use the Chase Sapphire Preferred which I like a lot. Also hear good things about the Capital One Venture X, but sticking with Chase for now.

Brent likes this.
  12. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I’ve got the Delta AmEx and the United Chase Visa and really like both.

13. Which island?

GrantCloud likes this.
  14. stonecoldnimrod

roamer. wanderer. nomad. vagabond.

been a minute…

first trip outside the country for me in the end of april: amsterdam for the first show of metallica’s world tour with an overnight/day stay in copenhagen. any advice from anyone that’s been out there (goin solo)?

Helloelloallo and theagentcoma like this.
  15. Iain

Regular

Not sure how long you have in Amsterdam but we done usual stuff but was all good:
    Heineken Tour
    Ajax Tour
    Would recommend a walking tour of red light district. Bananas that place.
    Canal boat was fun way to see city.

16. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Anyone have any off any must sees for Prague or Budapest? I have 4 nights in Prague but only 36 hours in Budapest. I have done a TON of research on Prague and have a solid list, but I'll take all the suggestions I can get. Interests are museums / pubs / parks / tasty food (my wife is vegetarian normally unless high end dining then sometimes exceptions are made).

For Budapest, it's such a whirlwind stay, so I am looking for the absolute can not miss suggestions. Anyone have experience at the ruin bars and any suggestions there? Staying in Buda but right near the bridge.

Also doing VIenna but another great user has helped me out and my wife is supposed to be planning that part while I'm in charge of Prague and Budapest.

Thanks in advance. I would contribute to others rather than just ask for help, but I have unfortunately not been to Amsterdam!

333 GANG likes this.
  17. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

idk if I have anything to offer that’s not already on your list but just wanted to add you’re going to adore Prague. Stunningly beautiful and arguably the most stereotypical “old timey Europe” city you’ll see (in the best way). We did a day trip to nearby Czesky Krumlov which was also gorgeous. Excellent food (although I unfortunately don’t remember any names).

Helloelloallo likes this.
  18. Disco

Rome, Florence on the wish list

19. Chhow

I would like to finish my work and go on a trip in a trailer. Cooking, enjoying nature, visiting new places. I haven’t been anywhere much, and I would like to make such a trip as soon as possible.
    From other countries, I really want to visit Costa Rica - just a childhood dream. I saw a video a long time ago of a man walking next to a pineapple plantation there - this will forever remain in my memory

20. Brodobaggins34

They fixed your brain when you were young.

Thanks for all this! I discovered this thread to ask this same question on the off chance that anyone would have suggestions of things to do in Glasgow. My wife and I will be there for about 24 hours while traveling next week, so I was mostly looking for good suggestions for food / coffee and things to do during the day.

21. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

These recs were for me and I went to Glasgow almost exactly a year ago so here's what I ended up doing. We had a bit more time (a few nights vs 1) but from google timeline, here is everywhere we went and what I remembered of it. (Some people may be adverse to the tracking, but without Google timeline, I'd have forgot the name of half the places I went to - it's awesome for keeping track).

- The necropolis was totally worth seeing and taking a walk through. We stayed at the native downtown and walked from there and it was a really nice walk. We were blessed with nice weather during our trip.
    - We did the hop on / hop off bus which was cool but Glasgow traffic was awful in the evening so don't get stuck on it later in the day! The time between stops was excruciating and you can't just get off anywhere so we actually ended up late somewhere as we got stuck at a standstill.
    - Ben Nevis pub - Really nice live music that was just a group of people who brought instruments and jammed together (a free for all jam session). Not sure if we just timed it right. It was super low key though and not like an actual band and production, just friends playing.
    - Innis & Gunn West End Brewery. The street it was on was super cute and aimed at students and a great place to hang out.
    - Speaking of that street, if you like Ramen we went to the coolest little ramen spot - Ramen Dayo. Really tasty food and just a good vibe as it was tiny and up some stairs and it just felt like a detour to Japan in the middle of Scotland. And GREAT Ramen. Probably only seats like 10-12 people, we went in between lunch and dinner and just sat right down.
    - Late night food - We went to the howlin' Wolf. Kitchen was open till like midnight - Taco's and such and pretty good. Live music as well though we weren't there for that.
    - We did some shopping in Buchanan galleries but that's literally just a mall, nothing too exciting but we spent a little time there walking around.
    - Our friends split off and went to Tennents brewery and they enjoyed it but I can't comment myself.
    For museums if that's your thing - we went to both the Kelvingrove and the gallery of modern art. I liked the Kelvingrove a lot and really enjoyed the area and the park.
    - George square was also a nice area to walk around.

That's about all I got... We went from Edinburgh to Glasgow, to Glencoe, to Isle of Skye, to Outter Hebrides and to Inverness so it was a whirlwind. I think we had 15 nights but only 2 were in Glasgow.

Oh.. and our rental car from Edinburgh to Scotland... THE WHEEL FELL OFF ON THE MOTORWAY. Literally the entire wheel flew off and we almost crashed. We had to have a tow truck rescue us and then they gave me this big ass van that I had to figure out how to drive through some of the narrowest and windiest roads I'd ever been on (and a lot that were single track to).

I wish you a good time and safe travels with no car hiccups if you're driving. I don't even know if you're from the US so this advice is all from an American (who grew up in the UK though and was familiar with a lot of the culture).

fastlife, Brodobaggins34 and Iain like this.
  22. Brodobaggins34

This is also awesome. Thank you! We are from the US. Coming from Maryland. We had started planning this trip in late 2019 with the intention to visit in March of 2020... but that obviously did not work out.

We'll be getting into Glasgow early in the morning and staying through the next morning, with no real plans for the day. Then we're heading up to northern Scotland and spending a couple days in Edinburgh and Inverness while also planning to see Isle of Skye before heading over to Ireland for a week and half.

23. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Nice. The Isle of Skye was absolutely stunning. We did one of the tours and it was nice not having to drive around there and be able to take everything in but however you're seeing it, and whatever you get to see (there's a lot there), you'll be amazed.

Inverness is a 'big' town (vs a city), but it has insane nightlife. It seemed like it was a bit of a bachelor/bachelorette party location, got pretty rowdy late at night and we had fun talking to random drunken Scots. Hootananny and Johnny Foxes are 2 recs for there.

Lastly for Edinburgh, I highly, highly recommend Dishoom if you at all like Indian food (and even if you're not sure, it's worth finding out). It was by far our best meal in the whole of Scotland. Incredible service, atmosphere, food etc. From the minute you walk in and put your name down, they take care of you.

Also it'll be more fun to figure this out on your own (with a slight hint from me), but there's a hidden bar near Dishoom that was a great 'fortune' to stumble upon.

Brodobaggins34 likes this.
  24. Iain

Regular

Awesome. Sounds like a great trip. What day are you in Glasgow / Edinburgh, just incase anything i am aware of thats on i can recommend.

Brodobaggins34 likes this.
  25. Brodobaggins34

Ok! This all also sounds great! I think we're gonna try to the Dishoom place for sure and likely try to find the hidden bar. Both those things are right up our ally. I never would have guessed Iverness would be that bumping based on pictures we've seen.

We'll be in Glasgow on the 17th! I think we're going to probably go to the La Dispute show at SWG3 that night. Kind of silly to see a US based band that I've seen many times before, but since that's the scene I'm so involved in here in Maryland, we thought it would be really neat to see what the same scene is like in the UK. Also the symmetry of seeing LD on their Wildlife album tour in Baltimore over 10 years ago and then seeing them do an anniversary tour for it in another country is kind of neat.

But besides that show, I think we're pretty wide open for the day. We went over all the suggestions and think they all sounded AMAZING. So we'll probably have a hard time picking just a couple things to do, but we both thought the Necropolis looked really neat.

And then we'll be in Edinburgh the next day, the 18th and part of the 19th.