Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Travel • Page 22

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Iain

Regular

Photos look awesome!

I would love to go to Oslo. I know a few people who went for work and like it. Although did say the cost of living is pretty expensive over there FYI!

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  2. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Moving to Norway sounds awesome. Hope it all works out!

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Thanks!

Yeah they're not wrong; I've been there four times now, and each time still when I go to buy certain things, it's like "Wait what? How much?" hahaha. Although the exchange rate has gotten better in the last year, so it's not as bad, but still.

4. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Tusen takk! ("a thousand thanks")

5. stars143

Trusted

6. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

I can’t wait to safely get back to Seattle and the Olympic Peninsula.

I’m thinking about moving there when my lease is up in May because it seems like rental prices have gone down a bit. But I’m pretty nervous about trying to apartment hunt when I likely won’t be vaccinated yet.

theagentcoma likes this.
  7. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I've been saving up my money since last summer to eventually move last this year to Oslo, Norway, once their border opens; should have $8-10k by that time. My current job manager said I wouldn't be able to work remotely there, while looking for a job based there, so I'm just going to buy a one-way ticket and then move in with a friend, and then live off my saved money while looking for work there. Can't wait to get out of the US

8. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Dumb question but aren't you not allowed to just move to another country? Do you have to get a job first or something?

9. stars143

Trusted

Generally you can't just move to a country and look for work. It really depends on the country... here is a Norway government page that clarifies what they need: Want to apply: Job seekers - UDI

There's a ~$733 USD fee if you want to visit Norway and look for job. There are requirements that you prove you have funds while you're in the country (~$2,458/month at current exchange rates) and you must qualify as a 'skilled worker,' which has it's own requirements.

10. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Basically the plan is to fly there and stay with my friend, like I'm a tourist. Then while there I'd apply for jobs. I've already had several interviews with companies in the past, but those were all done over Skype, as I was based here in the US. But I've been told many times I should be based there first, as that greatly enhances my chances at finding a job (they can then bring me into the office for an in-person interview). Once I have a job offer, I then apply for a job visa, and that is what costs like $700. It doesn't cost anything to visit the country, other than the flight ticket (I've been there four times previously).

11. djwildefire

Trusted

The Olympic Peninsula is gorgeous. So many different ecotypes in a small area. Rugged coastline, snow-capped peaks, temperate rainforest. It’s incredible.

12. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I'll back this as well; a really beautiful area. Olympic National Park is incredible; so many great hiking trails

13. djwildefire

Trusted

theagentcoma likes this.
  14. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Lived in Seattle for 8 years, can confirm it is gorgeous

15. djwildefire Feb 3, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 3, 2021)
    djwildefire

Trusted

Yeah my ex-gf and I backpacked the High Divide trail, it was incredible. Seven Lakes Basin is otherworldly

D0437EE1-AE3B-46D2-B374-D5A9125B9E77.jpeg

A89B9D1D-28A3-4492-9264-E7A8C5181B2C.jpeg

9047150A-A950-4D39-B00D-0504AA5DA232.jpeg

E50BADDD-BD27-4D32-BBE3-804624A8E74D.jpeg

16. -deleted-

-

Since moving to Denver I’ve been traveling with my close and oldest friend who’s been here for 3 years going into the mountains or random regions of CO for adventures. We made the 4hr drive to the “great sand dunes” at the base of the North Zapata Ridge. Actually a surreal experience. Basically a desert in the mountains and I didn’t ever wanna leave despite having my nose, ears and undies filled with sand. Wanted to share some photos.

4C9043C2-4ABF-4E02-904B-9DE5E396C7CB.jpeg 6B16F1CF-154C-4B26-92E1-8A195C1322C8.jpeg B7CDD07E-6F77-4D6F-BFEB-B2E2E1F3B250.jpeg 3AC40DD6-B164-4E51-A05D-44EC353D9DA9.jpeg 7CED0807-5A62-4201-A9D1-C9127C667543.jpeg C990215C-8E49-41B0-84D1-516551ED2C2A.jpeg 08C21344-4391-440B-A0E1-14EE5E925DB0.jpeg

17. stars143

Trusted

Beautiful place

I should’ve brought a board when I went haha

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  18. -deleted-

-

I of course had to sandboard the tallest dune and wiped out so hard I’m still recovering.

stars143 and summertimejesus like this.
  19. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

in a similar boat here tho im not leaving the country. im going apartment hunting in oregon in a couple weeks hoping i can land a lease w no current proof of income. that landing a job before u move shit doesnt seem to work so well unless ur white collar/medical or some shit. i could probably land a job in my field w any employers w openings in my local area rn but once it becomes a relocation thing no ones willing to give me the time of day its brutal

20. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah I've heard others do that method domestically in the US as well; I think it's just a case of the employer really wanting to interview you in person instead, and being there they know you're serious. Somehow I was able to land some Skype interviews with some great companies over in Norway, but yeah I know once I'm there in person my chances will be much greater. I've been saving up a ton of money over the last year to make this move, so if I won't be staying with my friend I'll literally just find a cheap AirBnB room in the city (found some great ones for $25 a night) and just apply to jobs like it's a full-time job

spreadthehummus2321 likes this.
  21. radiodead

Trusted

Going to spend 7 nights in South Beach Miami a week from today (both of us fully vaccinated finally!)

I have dinner reservations for basically every night and I understand it’s late to change too much around so I’m really looking to see if anyone is familiar with the following restaurants to help me pick....

Joe’s Stone Crab or Stubborn Seed (Friday night)
    Macchialina or Pane y Vino (Sunday Night)

If anyone is familiar or has opinions on those please share, I have dual reservations and need to make some decisions. We’re also going to hit up Mandolin, KYU, and Byblos.

22. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Driving to Tennessee tomorrow (from Wisconsin) and am very excited. It’s been too long since a good road trip

Anthony_Soprano and Ferrari333SP like this.
  23. My wife and I bought tickets to Scotland for March 2022 B-)

24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Fuck, I can't wait to step on a plane to fly

25. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Have you had stone crabs before?