Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Travel • Page 21

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 17, 2016.

1. soggytime

Trusted

I still have 2 weeks to get half my money back. I'm hoping the airlines wake up and extend the waivers in that time.

jorbjorb likes this.
  2. waking season Mar 1, 2020
    (Last edited: Mar 4, 2020)
    waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve been missing Vienna even more than usual lately, I need to make it back there soon

3. soggytime

Trusted

Is anyone still planning on traveling? Or just hunkering down and hoping not to get sick

Ken likes this.
  4. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Going to Montana for my honeymoon next week, and we have lots of people flying in for the wedding

waking season, jorbjorb and Ken like this.
  5. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Any specific plans while you're in Montana?

6. theagentcoma

We're gonna be in a rustic cabin in the countryside near Livingston. It's got like a hot tub and a jetted tub and a fireplace and great views of the mountains. It's maybe an hour from Yellowstone so we're gonna check that out then visit the city and go to all the restaurants and whatnot. It will be very relaxing.

Ken likes this.
  7. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Have fun! Yellowstone is an amazing place. The Tetons are also absolutely worth checking out.

theagentcoma and Fronnyfron like this.
  8. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Any SLC recs for things to do/places to go/restaurants/breweries?

bradsonemanband likes this.
  9. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Supposed to go to Cancun next week for a few days. I’m not planning on cancelling at the moment. Is this completely stupid of me?

Mr. Serotonin and Ken like this.
  10. bradsonemanband Mar 10, 2020
    (Last edited: Mar 10, 2020)
    Are you going to be near the downtown area? If so, there's a ton of breweries, cool bars/restaurants that I can recommend.

Downtown Main Street has a block of cool bars and restaurants: Cheers To You, Whiskey Street, and White Horse. White Horse has an awesome brunch menu too. On that same block, there's also a barcade called Quarters that's pretty fun.

Right near those bars is a little restaurant I love going to called Pretty Bird. It's delicious fried chicken sandwiches. If you're into that, don't skip it.

There's a brewery/restaurant called Squatters that's within walking distance of that same block. They're one of our most popular breweries here. Other breweries nearby: Red Rock, Kiitos, Fisher, Saltfire, and Proper.

If you don't mind a 5 minute drive down Main Street, I would check out Proper Burger. They have an eggs benedict burger that's killerrrrrrrr. Great beers too.

If you're into independent movies, there's a theater downtown called The Broadway that I would hit up if you want to check out an indie flick.

Thursday afternoons at the Gallivan Center (right on Main Street as well) they have a food truck roundup so you can check out some local food trucks. Yoshi's and Cupbop are my favorites. Their trucks aren't the same each week, but those 2 are there pretty regularly, but you can't go wrong with most of the trucks there.

We have a comedy club at the Gateway Mall called Wiseguys which gets a lot of great standups coming through. I linked to their site so you can see their schedule.

Also at the Gateway is a cool new food court area called Hallpass. There's a bar inside and 6 or 7 small local restaurants. There's also a delicious shabu restaurant right there, a movie theater, Dave & Busters, an ice cream taco place. Kind of a cool little place. Plus, I live right across the street from there, haha.

Brent likes this.
  11. GrantCloud Mar 10, 2020
    (Last edited: Mar 10, 2020)
    GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

I think Mexico has minimal cases of the virus confirmed currently, and as long as you don’t take a cruise down there I would think it is fine. Seems like you have a better chance of getting infected in the states than Mexico right now.

Mr. Serotonin, DrAlanGrant and Ken like this.
  12. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

That’s kind of where I’m at right now. Appreciate the reassurance. I guess in my most outlandish fears I’m somewhat worried about the border like randomly be closed and having the hardest time trying to get back to the States.

GrantCloud and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  13. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Well it looks like the trip I planned for next month may be fucked. Trip’s to the Canaries with layovers in Madrid from April 14-22.

The 22nd is technically past the 30-day ban from Schengen countries, but it’s not totally clear what the situation will be like flying back into the US. What a goddamn mess.

14. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Going to Nashville tomorrow from NY until next Wednesday, we wouldn't have been able to get a refund from the hotel since it's not considered a high risk area and it's within a week of the stay. Here's hoping everything doesn't shut down, at least it looks like this weekend everything is remaining open.

15. marissalg

Trusted

Cancelling my Montreal trip :/ Quebec just announced everything is shutting down and I’m still able to get a full refund on my hotel.

16. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Flying back now from a month in Utah and this lady in front of me is straight up wearing a full clean room outfit with gloves and face mask and her carry on was a hefty garbage bag.

17. soggytime

Trusted

So, what's the first place everyone wants to go once this is all over? I'm sure we're all going to need a vacation

18. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I’m supposed to be going to St. Lucia in November. Curious if that will even happen at this point

19. Iain

Regular

I thought people might like this in this thread. BBC have done a show called "Race Accross The World". It is similar, but helluva lot better, than The Amazing Race.

It follows 5 couples (could be friends, partners, family etc), with one challenge. The challenge is to get to X location for the cost of the flight there. Except... you cant fly or use a digital device. First season was London to Singapore. So they had to travel by land or sea to get there using the cost of their flight ticket. There are checkpoints so it is a race, but no 'challenges', just a documentary crew following them. Really good watch if you can get it.

Garrett L. likes this.
  20. Iain

Regular

I have accepted this year as a write off completely for a 'proper' holiday. UK insurance companies have stopped covering COVID19 so really need to wait until it hopefully blows over before can really think about a foreign holiday. Positive im taking is I can use the money towards the home renovations we were going to stagger over next few years, and hopefully do this year.

I had been reaching a point of actually wanting a relatively chilled holiday i.e. beach and a book style. However, now im cooped up in the house i think that has stalled and i would like an active/city break style holiday again:crylaugh:. It might provide a good opportunity to save for a bigger trip for the future we might have not bothered about due to cost. Im thinking about New Zealand / Canada.

21. theagentcoma

I would go to where our honeymoon was supposed to be before all this. A rustic cabin in the Mountains countryside.

22. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Goddamn do I miss traveling and definitely took it for granted.

Like... if you had the money and time (or a credit card and money, been there!) you could just go anywhere with no questions really asked. I remember planning trips with friends where we’d so the cliche “throw something at a map” deal to decide where to go. I can’t wait for those days and opportunities to come back.

Garrett, Ken and Fronnyfron like this.
  23. theagentcoma

My wife and I are planning on moving to Tampa later this year but we're turning it into a cross country road trip ( we're currently in Seattle). She's always wanted to see Arches National Park in Utah so we're gonna detour that way, which will take us through Salt Lake City. From there, we'll go through Denver, Kansas City, St Louis, Nashville, and Atlanta.

Should be a fun trip. If anyone is from any of those areas and has recs for where to eat/what to see, feel free to do so. Also my wife is super into thrifting so recs for thrift stores are always welcomed!

24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Assuming Norway's border opens at the end of August, as it's currently scheduled, sometime in September or October I might attempt to fly over to Oslo and move in with a friend, working remotely for my current company, while searching for jobs at the same time (can stay 90 days without a visa/work permit).

GrantCloud likes this.
  25. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Also, I now have a personal photography site (where you can buy prints!) showcasing work from all the traveling I've done over the last 8 years or so; Norway, Argentina, California, Minnesota, US southwest, etc. So excited for how it turned out!

Thomas Engrav

ship90 and Garrett like this.