Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Travel • Page 20

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 17, 2016.

1. rocketsguy03

allisterkid

Booked a solo trip to Iceland a few months ago and now I'm leaving in a month. Any recommendations from those who have been there would be appreciated. I plan to do a lot of the excursions offered by the hotel and might just wing it a lot of the time. This will be my first time traveling alone internationally... really it will be my first time traveling alone actually.

summertimejesus and Garrett L. like this.
  2. fastlife

Regular Supporter

I went to Iceland a few years ago. Everywhere is beautiful, but definitely try and check out the Snaefellsness peninsula if you get the chance. Fewer people, and so much to see.

3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

So jealous. I kinda recommend not winging it and doing a solid prep if only because so much of the cool stuff is a decent drive from reykjavik (assuming your hotel is there).

rocketsguy03 and j0hnnyrt like this.
  4. rocketsguy03

allisterkid

I am staying in Reykjavik. The website of the hotel initially had a bunch of things you could sign up to do directly through the hotel, but it looks like they took that page down. I initially wanted to avoid renting a car and just do the tours that are offered, but I'm having second thoughts since it seems weather conditions in September usually aren't too bad. Just a little bit nervous driving in a country I've never been and with limited smart phone use due to data cost I don't want to have to rely on my phone too much while navigating and finding things to do.

5. Garrett

We rented a mobile hotspot that was like $9 a day for use in our car. Well worth it. I’m not sure of the company name at the moment, but you pick it up at the Dunkin’ Donuts in the airport lobby

And I went in September and the roads were super fine. A bit windy at times, but we didn’t have any snow. Max speed limit on the whole island is really low because of the wind. Like 55, I think. It often felt like we could’ve driven much faster.

There are a lot of bus tours out of Reykjavik, too. We weighed doing them vs renting a car and designing our own.

rocketsguy03 likes this.
  6. I went a few years ago and drove Ring Road. It was really helpful to download google maps for offline use ahead of time! Your phone is somehow still able to know where you are and provide directions, even without data

rocketsguy03 likes this.
  7. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I leave for Oxford TOMORROW and I am absolutely freaking out. It's so weird to be going on this trip by myself. I'll have colleagues to meet and hang out with once I'm there, but it's still going to be strange!!

jorbjorb likes this.
  8. Garrett

I leave for Italy on Wednesday and may go insane in the interim.

ChiliTacos and Ken like this.
  9. marissalg

Trusted

I’m in Manhattan for work for 2 days this week, Chicago for riot fest next week, Portugal/Spain for vacation week after. Working 11 days this month I can’t wait.

10. Garrett

This was my fifth trip to Italy and the increase in tourism is excruciatingly noticeable. Barcelona earlier this year felt the same way.

11. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

I'm finally working a job with great benefits and am looking into a solo trip to Dublin, Ireland! Any recs on spots to stay/vegan eats/transportation/things not to miss? I don't drive so I won't be able to rent a car and I also want to try heading over to Scotland to check out Glasgow and Edinburgh while I'm there.

12. rocketsguy03 Oct 1, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 1, 2019)
    rocketsguy03

allisterkid

Wanted to show off a few of my favorite pictures I took a couple weeks ago in Iceland. I will try to do spoiler tags so it doesn't clutter up the page, because the picture are slightly big, but not sure if I'm doing it right.

This was taken during a tour of Snaefellsnes Peninsula on my first day. The scenery from this spot was mindblowing every way you look.
    [​IMG]

This was Skógafoss. A beautiful and tall water. Got drenched doing the obligatory arms up picture.
    [​IMG]

Seljalandsfoss is a unique waterfall because you can walk from either side to get behind the waterfall. This picture is from underneath it.
    [​IMG]

Blue Lagoon is a tourist trap I had to visit. It was amazing and relaxing, yet still probably a low point of the trip, because everything else in that country is even more amazing.
    [​IMG]

Another lagoon, this one called The Secret Lagoon is very relaxing as well. Gotta take advantage of a bit of that geothermal energy when in Iceland.
    [​IMG]

Gulfoss is the most famous waterfall in Iceland because of the many different angles of falls and the length.
    [​IMG]

Me on some rocks created by volcanic activity on the aforementioned Snaefellsnes Peninsula tour.
    [​IMG]

A glacier at the Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon.
    [​IMG]

And we'll end it with that pretty Icelandic sky!
    [​IMG]

13. EddieDS

Regular Supporter

anyone have food/sight recommendations in Vancouver, BC? going to be staying around yaletown for a weekend and looking for things to do that are easily accessible without a car. definitely trying to get dim sum

14. Check out the new David Chang show on Netflix - first episode takes place in Vancouver with Seth Rogen

EddieDS likes this.
  15. EddieDS

Regular Supporter

perfect! thanks!

16. Sasidhar Vankina

Going to Milan, Italy this upcoming January for my college study abroad. Hoping to travel around Europe a lot and maybe hit up some other places that are close by as well. Any recommendations of spots I should for sure visit?

jorbjorb likes this.
  17. Garrett

Barcelona, Prague, Budapest outside of Italy. Venice, Cinque Terre, and Florence inside of it.

jorbjorb likes this.
  18. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

thinking of going to San Francisco for my honeymoon. Maybe see the Redwoods. I've only visited once, for literally half a day. Any ideas for places to see?

Ken likes this.
  19. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve never been but congratulations!! I’d also love to see the Redwoods, I need to make it out west one of these days.

theagentcoma likes this.
  20. marissalg

Trusted

Thinking about going to Montreal this year since it’s not a bad drive. Does anyone have any recommendations for where to stay? I’m going with my friend and we both like good food and fun bars.

Ken likes this.
  21. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I'm considering this too. Please let me know if you go and what you do/how you like it/etc

marissalg likes this.
  22. Sal Paradise

Trusted

My cousin is getting married in Galveston in November. My wife and I are thinking about taking a couple extra days and driving to either San Antonio or Austin. Does anyone have recommendations on A.) which city they prefer and b.) fun places to go/ things to see?

Fronnyfron likes this.
  23. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

@Sal Paradise

If you can only pick one I 100% recommend Austin

Sal Paradise likes this.
  24. soggytime

Trusted

I'm supposed to go to Italy first week of April.... Looks like fees are only getting waived til March 2

jorbjorb likes this.
  25. jorbjorb

7 rings

i'd cancel personally....

GrantCloud likes this.