Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Travel • Page 19

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 17, 2016.

1. I'm going to Paris for a week this fall and I need to book a hotel. Anyone have any recommendations? I don't even know where to start.

2. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

@popdisaster00

We stayed at Le Regent Montmartre and enjoyed it. Very short walk to a metro station, an easy walk to the major train hubs, and away from the most congested areas. Paris is pretty massive so no matter where you stay it will be impossible to see everything in a week.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  3. St. Nate Jul 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 11, 2019)
    St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Doing a little 4 day weekend trip with my gf starting tomorrow.

Flying into Phoenix then going up to the Grand Canyon. On the way we got a list of things to check out like Fossil Creek, Red Rock, Devil's Bridge, Slide Rock, then the Ariana Grande Canyon itself.

Anyone have any other ideas or tips while I'm there?

4. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Sedona and Flagstaff are really cool towns. I haven't been out to Ariana in over a decade, so my knowledge of that area is a little rusty. Scottsdale/Phoenix has arguably the best pizza in the country if you're into that sort of thing.

St. Nate, K0ta and jorbjorb like this.
  5. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Anyone ever go to Postcard Inn On The Beach in St. Pete Florida?

My wife and I just booked a 4-day stay for September.

Ken likes this.
  6. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

GrantCloud likes this.
  7. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Is that where that movie was filmed? haha

GrantCloud and Ken like this.
  8. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I don't know about the hotel haha, but St. Pete, yes.

GrantCloud likes this.
  9. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

I have a concert in Silver Springs, MD tomorrow and then I am heading down to NC the next day. I feel like I should travel at least past DC so I don't have to deal with that on Saturday morning and then get a hotel somewhere in Virginia. Anybody with advice on this/suggestions for a place?

Ken likes this.
  10. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I've stayed at a really cool Marriott in National Harbor, on the southside of DC. Good walkability with places to drink and eat.
    AC Hotel National Harbor Washington, DC Area

If you want to go much further, Fredericksburg or Richmond would be good places to stop in VA.

DC itself is a really cool city to stay in, with so much to do, but I don't blame you for wanting to get past that traffic.

K0ta likes this.
  11. K0ta

I'd love to check DC out but I have to be at another concert in NC that night so I don't have time to make a day of it. Thank you for the suggestions, I will look into those cities!

Ken likes this.
  12. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

How is Sedona? My high school friend and his fiancé are getting married down there in September, so I might be venturing down for a weekend then. Thing is he literally just told me a week and a half ago. So I am still pricing out expenses to see if I can afford it

K0ta and Ken like this.
  13. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Sedona is absolutely beautiful. Gorgeous, really. A lot of great hiking. A cool small town, good restaurants and some breweries too. Plus Phoenix and Flagstaff aren't that far away, which are worth checking out as well.

GrantCloud and K0ta like this.
  14. K0ta

My friend showed me pictures from her trip there last year and I was totally floored, it really looks stunning.

Ken likes this.
  15. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

so arizona has the best pizza in the states? Ive never heard that. which places?

GrantCloud and Ken like this.
  16. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Haha I did say arguably. Pizzeria Bianco is the main one. Pizzeria Bianco — BIANCO

Lamp and Pomo are really good.

I've heard good things about Cibo, Spinato's, Forno, and Craft 64.

There's some Chicago & NY transplants too like Lou Malnati's and Grimaldi's.

It really is an outstanding pizza scene.

GrantCloud and Your Milkshake like this.
  17. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Your Milkshake likes this.
  18. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah we would fly into Phoenix, and rent a car. Tickets aren’t too expensive it seems from here so definitely considering it.

Ken likes this.
  19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Ken likes this.
  20. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

do it!

do it!

GrantCloud likes this.
  21. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

In 53 days I’ll finally be back in Italy

waking season and Ken like this.
  22. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

If anyone has recommendations for places to eat or sights to see in any of these places, I’d love to hear them! Would also love to meet any Chorus ppl.

- Oxford, UK
    - San Francisco
    - Santa Clara

23. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

That's a pretty random trip. I kid.

I've been to SF numerous times so I could give you some recs there. Where are you staying? How long? Any cuisines in particular?

24. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Three separate trips for work, haha.

I’m staying in a hotel near Union Square for week one of the SF trip and then I’ll be in an Airbnb and working in the Mission District.

My life is terrible and I’m not supposed to have gluten, so any GF spots would be cool! I found a place near my Airbnb called Pica Pica that I’m excited to try! But sushi is my favorite food so any sushi recommendations would be amazing!

ChiliTacos likes this.
  25. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Okay I think I can help!

Pretty much all I do is eat, so I'll stay in my lane and mostly stick to food options. As far as touristy stuff, Coit Tower (close to Union Square) is really cool and offers great views of the city. I also like The Exploratorium which is like a cool interactive science-y museum. I'd say a little more geared towards kids but it's a lot of fun, especially if you go with a friend (and even more especially if you're a little stoned, if you're into that sorta thing haha). And then for me personally I've always said that Fisherman's Wharf is pretty lame. The food kinda sucks and there's just not much to see and do. But I know a lot of people do like it and say it's essential SF, so I try not to be too pushy about people skipping it haha, just my opinion.

Places near Union Square:
    plouf - Plouf - French place that specializes in seafood. Their oysters are soooooooo good. I recommend going during happy hour, which lasts all night if you eat at the bar.

the house - The House - Asian fusion place, it's a little pricier but not like out of this world. I think the entrees are in the $20's. The Blue Lake Bean Tempura is one of my favorite appetizers ever. I didn't see anything on their website about GF options. It's also fairly tiny and I think reservations might be preferred.

Golden Boy Pizza - Golden Boy Pizza - I didn't see anything about GF crust and honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't offer it just based on the vibe. I included it anyways because it's just really damn good pizza.

https://www.topofthemark.com/ - Top of the Mark - I haven't eaten here, I think they may only do like small bites anyways. But it's on the 19th floor of a swanky hotel, you can go up there and get a $16 cocktail while enjoying amaaaazing views of the city. It's pretty dope.

K.Minamoto Online Store: WAGASHI - K. Minamoto - This place sells Japanese deserts and sweets. It's a tad expensive but everything I've gotten has been incredible and it's super fun to try some of the different things.

Near Mission District:
    Live Sushi - Live Sushi Bar - I was so glad when you said sushi is your fave, because it is also mine and I have just the spot haha. This is definitely a bit of a hole in the wall but oh my god it's my favorite sushi ever.

Hopefully this helps or at least gives you some ideas!