Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Travel • Page 14

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 17, 2016.

1. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I’m dying to get back to Austria but flights are just so expensive. This year I went to Oslo, Bergen, and Tromsø in Norway. Really cool to be north of the Arctic Circle.

fastlife likes this.
  2. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Just came back from a week in Oslo and Tromso. I loved Norway and thought the polar night was awesome (though discombobulating at times). Went with my family and would love to do another trip up there with my friends.

Ryan Garner likes this.
  3. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I’m stuck at an airport for 8 hours and then another one for 10 hours what the heck do I do

4. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Which airport? Take transit/a cab into the closest city.

TedSchmosby likes this.
  5. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Toronto lol

muttley likes this.
  6. muttley

Holy shit, get on that one. I’m sure the train/bus system there is good. Sounds like you’d have a solid 4 hours of time to explore.

TedSchmosby likes this.
  7. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Plane got delayed another 12 hours. This is my first time being planes, trains and automobiled and I feel very festive

8. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

The first half of this year is shaping up to be a good one for me. Bethany Beach next month, Atlantic City in March, ???? in April, and Boulder in May. Maybe I'll get to Florida in April. Traveling is so much better than staying at home.

muttley and Your Milkshake like this.
  9. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

going to Orlando February 6th - 14th, doing Disney three days and then just moving to a hotel close to Universal the rest of the week. gonna do Universal a day or two then just relax for the rest of the time. it will be nice to get out of the midwest winter for a week and hit Disney World at low peak.

Brent, muttley and Ken like this.
  10. muttley

I'm sure I asked this before but I'm looking for a fresh opinion. How are Airbnbs? Despite saving a couple hundred bucks, I'm hesitant about the whole thing. Even though it's an entire place and not a shared room, I'm wondering how private everything actually is. One other issue is I don't know exactly where the place is located until it's booked. I've read some stories about the place being further away than expected. This one is in another country so there's an extra element of uncertainty for lack of a better word.

11. eight30

Regular

Heading to New Orleans on Friday for a couple nights then planning a week and a half in a couple cities in California for March. I have never traveled this much and I'm so excited for California.

12. fastlife

Regular Supporter

I’ve actually only done foreign Airbnbs (Iceland, Wales, and Norway) and they’ve been great. While the exact street addresses were never given til booked, they were usually very close to where they were located on the maps on the listings. Definitely read all the reviews to see how previous guests feel the place compares to the descriptions — they’re usually pretty accurate in terms of what to expect.

All the ones I’ve had have been entire places, and in terms of privacy, we were pretty much left alone. One place the host just messaged to make sure we got in okay, another place the host just came by while we weren’t there to leave extra towels for us at the door, and another place the host drove by the last day to check up and make sure we had a good time. If a host is too clingy, that for sure will be apparent in the comments other people leave in the listing.

13. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Yea as said above I pretty much go by reviews. I booked a eurotrip almost exclusively with airbnbs and it was great; locations were good, hosts were helpful. Only negative experience I’ve had was in the states. Iirc you can message before you book to ask questions if you’re worried about distances or want to talk about privacy. I’ve rented full places and single rooms that the host was still around for, they were usually pretty receptive to what guests wanted out of them.

muttley likes this.
  14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I was in Norway for two weeks last summer, staying in a few Airbnb's while there and had a fantastic experience; the first one we booked was completely random, in an area even my girlfriend(from Norway) wasn't familiar with, and it ended up being one of the most incredible spots either of us has stayed in our life. Right next to a fjord, great views out the window, incredible host, outdoor hot tub, all for a fairly cheap price, the works.

15. HemisphereHybrid

One Hit Wonder

I just wish I could go anywhere in Europe at all.

muttley and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  16. drifting

I want to spend a week in New Orleans. It looks so fascinating and totally different from any other US city.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  17. anthony

I’m going to 3 semi-remote towns in France in a few weeks. Me, another professor, a woman from the industry, and 2 students. 9/10 chance were getting lost.

18. muttley

Spending 7 days in Mexico City next month. Super excited to finally go.

Deborah Remus and anthony like this.
  19. anthony

jealous. that city has been on my list for ever.

20. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Awesome! Mexico seems like a great country as long as you stay as far away as you can from the resorts.

21. muttley

I thought the same thing. I didn’t want to leave the country to hang out with Americans haha.
    Same here. Airfare is cheap this time of year so I pulled the trigger. Hesitated 2 years in a row prior.

Deborah Remus and anthony like this.
  22. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Have fun and let us know what it's like! I just looked for the hell of it and I could fly there from Calgary for $350. Not bad at all and since you are even closer you might have gotten an even better deal.

muttley likes this.
  23. muttley

Will do!
    I paid the same price to depart from Phoenix. Los Angeles may be the only city with a lower price/more frequent flights.

Deborah Remus likes this.
  24. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Rad yeah that is a great deal still and awesome you are taking advantage! Now that I live in a proper big city it blows my mind much cheaper flights are. It also blows my mind that I could fly to Mexico City cheaper than I can fly back home to Winnipeg.

muttley likes this.
  25. Carmen SD

Trusted

This is a passport related question. Anyone who recently (as an adult over 18) got a passport for the first time (United States passport)?? I have questions about applying etc. I’ve searched the gov web page but their faq doesn’t have my questions listed. Any help would be great. I would like to apply for a passport ASAP.