Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Travel • Page 12

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 17, 2016.

1. jdr2187

jdr2187

Got tickets to see Gorillaz at Red Rocks in September and it's right in the middle of the week so I'm thinking about taking the week off work and spending the entire week in Denver. Any suggestions on things to do? Would love suggestions on good hikes and/or restaurants.

muttley likes this.
  2. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

I'll be there that week too! I'm seeing Fleet Foxes the night after Gorillaz. Also looking for recommendations haha.

muttley likes this.
  3. jdr2187

jdr2187

I'm going to that one too, but Bythe time I saw Fleet Foxes was playing the next night they were already sold out so i had to resort to stubhub, but I figured the extra cost was worth it.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  4. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

awesome. i had fleet foxes tickets before the gorillaz show was announced. failed miserably at getting gorillaz tickets and haven't even checked stubhub for that.

5. fastlife

Regular Supporter

Going to Iceland, Dublin, and London with my friend in late September.

Has anyone who's been to Iceland been to Vatnajökull National Park? Excluding flight time in/out of Iceland, we'll have 3 full days in the country and aren't sure if it's reasonable to make it out there, or if we should take our time exploring the Golden Circle and Snaefellsnes instead.

fame and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  6. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Illegal Pete's has awesome burritos that are cheap and delicious. Really I have yet to have any bad Mexican food in that city. There was and probably still is one in the heart of downtown close to 16th Street Mall. As for hikes, it depends how far you want to go and how much you want to do. Rocky Mountain National Park is about 2 hours north of Denver and has tons of great trails. Not as far away in Colorado Springs you can walk around Garden of the Gods or do the Manitou Incline. Just outside of Golden you can walk up Table Mountain and get great views of the Denver skyline. If you want to do a 14er Mount Bierstadt is a good option and you don't need any technical gear to reach the summit. It's not far from Denver and close to Georgetown, which is a cute little Old West style town. And honestly there are hiking trails right around Red Rocks Ampitheatre itself.

muttley likes this.
  7. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I went to Breakfast King when I was in Denver. Classic diner food and it's 24-hours. Transit runs within a block or 2.

8. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Yeah, Breakfast King is kinda THE place to have breakfast in the city. Been taken there multiple times. My brother in law thinks they make the best biscuits and gravy ever. As a Canadian I still have a hard time understanding the appeal of biscuits and gravy though, haha.

muttley likes this.
  9. muttley

That's the one place I planned on eating at during my weekend there. Didn't realize it was that notable. I had French toast and really enjoyed it.
    The food thread could probably explain their love of b&g haha. It's a little hit or miss for me.

Deborah Remus likes this.
  10. muttley

Of all the places I really wanted to visit, NYC wasn't very high on my list. Last week I had a vague idea about going and now it's in stone. Looking forward to it.

yeahrightdude and ChrisCantWrite like this.
  11. Iain

Regular

I have been listening to a good travel podcast called Layovers. It mainly focusses on airlines, but not in a terribly geeky way, but more as guys that travel alot for business. Its a easy listen.

One of the guys has a youtube channel called Attache travel which does videos for city breaks eg. Berlin. It is pretty great. Its less generic and feels a lot more useful than the generic Attaché

This leads me on to one of them has created a travel book which has smashed its Kickstarter: Attaché Guide to Travel

12. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

Went to Niagara Falls for a few days and it was awesome. Stayed on the Canadian side and while we only spent an hour on the American side, the Canadian side was clearly much better both because of the views and the amount of things to do. Really wish we went to Toronto while I was there but we didn't have enough time. Also, border patrol agents are rude af

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  13. Osceola13

Bringin the ruckus

Anyone been to Iceland and have any recommendations on "can't miss" places or things to do/places to eat at? I've gone through every guide book and travel blog I could find but figured it can't hurt for more info. Anything is appreciated, thanks.

14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Recently got back from two weeks in Norway and had my mind absolutely blown; visited a female Norwegian friend (and now gf) over there, and we drove all around the bottom half of the country, visiting Fredrikstad, Oslo, a bunch of fjords farther north, Stavanger, and other places. Camped a few nights, stayed in some Air BnB's, some hotels, her parent's house, etc. The most incredible experience; I finish up my Masters here in Minneapolis next May, and am now thinking of moving to Oslo, however possible that might be. Might be going back in late December for a ski trip. If you want to see more pics, my Instagram is @tomasengrav

DFgyvoOUMAAI-_o.jpg

82356.jpg

Image-9.jpg

Garrett L., muttley, fastlife and 2 others like this.
  15. musicandlyrics

Xaxa Mckenzie

I am planning to visit Bangkok in December.

muttley and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  16. muttley

NYC was incredible. A few highlights were: trying goat curry in The Bronx, having street tacos in Queens, getting drunk in Central Park and watching the sun go down, and biking through the busy streets of Manhattan. Also had my hotel evacuated at 2am after the fire alarm went off haha.

Mr. Serotonin and yeahrightdude like this.
  17. Iain

Regular

Booked to go to NY for ten nights in October. Cant wait! Any suggestions for things to do/see/eat?

muttley likes this.
  18. muttley

Denver was way more fun the second time around. It's not a late city, but there's a good amount of nightlife around Downtown. I take full responsibility for missing that the first time.

One of my favorite things that I ate was the Mexican food in Jackson Heights. There were a couple times where I walked into a random restaurant without doing any research and had a great meal.

I know it's touristy, but I really enjoyed Top of the Rock. You get an incredible view of Manhattan and the surrounding boroughs/cities. I went with the sunrise/sunset ticket so I was able to see the view at night and during the day. My favorite part was simply being in and seeing the city. Go for a walk or a bike ride into the unknown! 10 days is a shit load of time, too.
    Check out Central Park while you're at it - my favorite place to sit and relax was at Conservatory Water. I made it a point to go there multiple times. They have boat races so it could get busy - luckily it was pretty quiet when I was there.

himynameisiain likes this.
  19. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Traveling to Dublin in the next few weeks. Anything you guys would suggest? (Doing Jameson, Guinness and a Rugby game so far)

Ferrari333SP and muttley like this.
  20. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

All three of those are fantastic things to do in the city; I attended two rugby matches while on previous visits to London and loved the experience. Which rugby game are you going to? Pro-14 match?

I'd also recommend putting some time into trying out various different restaurants; I'm really into trying new restaurants while traveling in foreign cities, and from the few times I've been to Dublin, they have lots of great options to choose from. Phoenix Park, their version of Central Park or Hyde Park, is huge and really cool to just walk around and explore. Kilmainham Gaol, a former prison, is a really cool/interesting historical site that you can tour; used during the 1800's and early 1900's.

Overall I'm pretty sure you'll have a great time there no matter what you do; every time I've been there I've loved it. Share your experience when you're back!

21. the rural juror Sep 10, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 10, 2017)
    the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Planning on spending a week in Japan in late October (Tokyo will be home base but I can pretty much go wherever).

Recommendations and insider tips appreciated!

22. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Wow this is amazing! Congrats on your lady too.

So how do you plan to move there? How much do you think the language will be a barrier for work, citizenship, etc in Norway?

23. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Thanks man! Well I'm graduating next May with a Masters in Public Policy, specifically in "Science, Technology, and Environmental Policy", with a particular interest in renewable energy and energy systems. A big chunk of Norway's GDP comes from their energy industry, and currently 96% of their electricity comes from hydropower, the highest share of renewable energy in a country's electricity mix in the world. From the research I've done there's tons of energy companies in Norway, so the long-shot plan right now is to try applying at some companies in Oslo this fall, but what is more likely is that I'll get a job here in Minneapolis and try to work here for 6 months to a year, and then try to move over to Oslo. I've already started learning Norwegian, and I hope to really put more time into it next summer when I'm finally done with school. By having put some serious time into learning the language, I'm hoping to become a more attractive candidate to any company or organization over there. Someone with a masters degree and focus in renewable energy + some Norwegian language skills = more likely to get hired. Norway is growing quickly right now, with a high influx of foreigners coming to work there, so I'm hoping this means they'd be more likely to take an interest in me. I already have a few friends living and working over there, including one from the high school I went to crazily enough, that I don't think I'd have an issue regarding visa/citizenship, etc. Goal would be to live there for a couple years, at least, before deciding what to do next. Girlfriend really loves California too (we just had a short vacation there together), and has expressed wanting to live there one day, so I could see moving back there too in the plans.

In any case, this is going to take a lot of effort and planning, but I'm hoping it goes well!

js977 likes this.
  24. muttley

I'd like to know why a nonstop American Airlines flight from Phoenix to Mexico City is upwards of $700, but a flight from Tucson to Mexico City with layover in Phoenix, is only $300.

25. brandsonemanband

Utah is cool. I found a tire the other day

Mr. Serotonin and Ryan Garner like this.