Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Travel • Page 11

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by muttley, Mar 17, 2016.

1. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I actually may have found a distant relative that would be able to do it, so I think I'll *hopefully* be all set. Thanks for being willing, though, and if it falls through I may contact you again. Thank you either way.

Ken likes this.
  2. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

I started to plan a dream solo road trip out of boredom the other day. It slowly evolved into a 70 day circle of the U.S with a few dips into Canada. Now I can't stop thinking about how great it would be and it's really bumming me out. Gotta start buying scratch-off tickets.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  3. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I used to do this all the time. I had a 40 day hiking trip planned for Utah. I never made it that far, but I did use some of those plans for a 2 week trip. You never know!

yeahrightdude likes this.
  4. muttley

Looking into taking a short trip over the summer. I'm thinking New York City but it's so expensive. A 5 day trip is easily $1500 and that's only the flight/lodging.

5. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

It's hard to pull the trigger on NYC when you could fly and stay in like...Dublin for the same price.

6. muttley

Exactly. It's like, do I want five days in New York or 2 weeks somewhere else. I'm not giving up just yet, though. Chicago is my 2nd choice.

I thought it would be cool to see one of our own massive cities before going to another country.

yeahrightdude and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  7. Osceola13

Bringin the ruckus

Going to Iceland this summer for a small ship cruise with my mom and then after she leaves I've got a house rented to just hang out in for a weeks and explore around. I'm a sucker for waterfalls and black sand beaches so I'm pretty excited! Then I'm going to London in August to meet up with friends to see the Harry Potter & The Cursed Child play again because we bought stalls tickets almost a year ago after seeing it from an upper level view last time.

8. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

I was looking at New York recently too and it just seems so overwhelming as someone coming from the middle of nowhere Kansas haha What area is best to get a hotel? Where is everything in relation to my hotel? Why is it all so expensive?

muttley likes this.
  9. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

So I've been quite a few times, all for work though so they haven't exactly been loaded with sightseeing or anything. Any hotel in Manhattan is going to be pretty insanely priced. Brooklyn is better but still on the high side. I've stayed in Long Island City quite a few times for around $120/night. That area itself is pretty lame with not much to do, but you'll be in walking distance of the subway which will get you to Manhattan in 10 minutes.

yeahrightdude and muttley like this.
  10. muttley

I didn't think the subway was that fast. I always try to stay in the area that I'll be exploring to cut excess transit/cabs/etc. That might work, though!

11. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I was in Maine last summer. I don't think I'll get there this year, but I'm so eager to go back, it's driving me insane. I just don't have the vacation time. What a beautiful state. Acadia national park is spectacular.

muttley likes this.
  12. muttley

^ 2 words: Mt Katahdin

I had vague plans to drive up the east coast for some state highpoints. That never worked out.

I'm thinking about taking some time to drive up California's coast. Spend a couple days in each major city, hit Oregon's stateline then drive back on 395, just east of the Sierras. Been California dreamin' for too long.

Ken likes this.
  13. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Last time I was at Baxter state park I was too small to make that hike. I definitely need to go back and complete it.

muttley likes this.
  14. muttley

I would drive across the country just for that if I had the time.

Ken likes this.
  15. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Have you been to Acadia too? Mt. Desert Island is such a lovely place.

16. muttley

I haven't made it east of New Mexico/West Texas haha. I used to spend entire days looking at that kind of stuff though. I'll look it up!

Ken likes this.
  17. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

muttley likes this.
  18. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Back from 7 months and 1 week working/backpacking around Australia/Malaysia/Nepal/United Kingdom and finally have the time to revisit this site.

yeahrightdude, muttley and Ken like this.
  19. muttley

We politely demand pictures

Ken and yeahrightdude like this.
  20. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Do you use Instagram? Add me @deborahremus and you can see a bunch. Too lazy to repost a bunch here, haha.

muttley and Ken like this.
  21. muttley

Done and done

Deborah Remus likes this.
  22. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

23. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Traveling to Santa Barbara tomorrow-Tuesday for work. Nervous since it's my first time traveling alone and my first time flying since I was 13.

24. Deborah Remus

Former Staffer

Have fun! There really is nothing to be overly nervous about. You are more likely to get in an accident driving a car and as for traveling alone it gives you the freedom to explore and enjoy what you want to see. No compromises and it's really easy to meet new friends along the way.

Joe4th likes this.
  25. muttley

You'll have a good time. Santa Barbara is a beautiful city.

You're in charge so you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. Don't hesitate to leave your comfort zone.

Joe4th likes this.