Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Toy Story 4 (Josh Cooley, June 21, 2019) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, a lot of positive reviews, but nothing overly enthusiastic that suggests it's on par with the others

2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Anyway, I guess I'm gonna see for myself on Tuesday

3. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm sure it's good and everything but is anyone else kinda getting bored of safe, typical movies over and over again? I mean, outside of seeing it once to just see it and be done with it, are people coming back to these multiple times over the years?

4. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Apparently this is "weirder"

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  5. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I hope they really push some boundaries somehow but I'm not holding my breath.

6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Some reviews make that seem like a possibility, don't shoot the messenger

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  7. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

6 screenwriters for this? Damn. Honestly thought it was just Rashida and Will who penned this one. Still excited to see this, particularly for the weird factor.

8. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Phew so happy about the reviews!

9. Yes. The trilogy is fantastic and feel good. I've seen them all many many times.

SpyKi and OotyPa like this.
  10. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

100 on RT w/ 76 reviews

Joe, oncenowagain and popdisaster00 like this.
  11. So happy.

oncenowagain likes this.
  12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Not sure I get whatever point you’re trying to make here. Is it against this franchise, Pixar films, or G-rated/PG-rated animated films in general? I could argue the first three movies definitely “pushed boundaries” (whatever that means) for animated films, but the franchise’s primary focus was always telling family-friendly stories that resonate most with our generation. The writing, voice-acting, humor, and music from the first three are unforgettable.

13. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm a curmudgeon and for whatever reason it annoys me when what I feel are cookie-cutter movies, in any genre to be clear, are lauded as if they're masterpieces when they're not doing anything new or pushing boundaries. I know it's dumb but I can't help it.

14. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I just don't really know why you think it's "cookie-cutter." The first Toy Story was the first computer animated film ever made.

15. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I wasn't referring to the first one only though. I was talking about the 4th film in this series, as well as thinking about other computer animated movies for kids and what they've been doing for 20+ years now. I find the majority of them are just good, safe movies that don't really push boundaries.

16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

???? Have you not seen Coco?

GrantCloud, coleslawed, Zilla and 3 others like this.
  17. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Up :shrug:

GrantCloud, coleslawed, Zilla and 3 others like this.
  18. Cars 2?!?!

:-)

19. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

GrantCloud, justin., David87 and 4 others like this.
  20. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I do still need to see Coco but I was actually just thinking of Up! as well. That one obviously started with something shocking and with something I don't think had been covered in a kids movie before, at least not in that way. But once that prologue was over, it fell back into the typical kids movie trope of cute kid, talking dog, etc... I thought it fell pretty flat.

WALL-E is something that I'd say was a masterpiece but then about halfway through when they went to space and introduced the humans, then it fell flat. It did have an incredible last five or ten minutes though. I'd say that's the closest to a masterpiece that I've seen from Pixar.

21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Lol, I can definitely see the argument being for the last few years being rough for computer animated films with a select few being fantastic. But not the last 20 years. There are too many classics I can name off the top of my head since 1999.

Shrek, being the leading example

coleslawed and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  22. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

BASED SHREK GOD

23. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Man, Up is so incredible after the prologue. How can you deny the power of the scene when he's looking at his wife's childhood scrapbook to find it filled with pictures of them throughout their marriage? The character development is unprecedented!!

I know a lot of people don't love Wall-E but I really love the whole thing. Might be my favorite Pixar film, but it also hit me at a perfect time. Really fills you with a joy to be human.

24. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

And yeah, I totally get that I'm being cynical and shit about kids movies, haha. I can't help it

oncenowagain likes this.
  25. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Wall-E and Inside Out are probably my top Pixar films.