Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tour Prediction and Speculation Thread [ARCHIVED] Tour • Page 1999

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Haha, they were already (at least in my mind) big at that point since they could sell out 1k-capacity venues.

theasteriskera likes this.
  2. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

I didn't get to see them until '07 when they were selling out arenas, it's cool to me!

3. somethingwitty

Trusted

Anthology closed?! Wow that’s a major loss. Saw soooo many great shows there in the last few years (Jap Brekkie, Joywave, Bonobo, Bleachers, Turkuaz).

That’s a major hit to the Roch music scene bc the stage at Water Street isn’t really conducive to an act with any type of staging/production.

4. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

Excited to be seeing Anti-Flag in DC tonight! The Suicide Machines, Catbite and Celebration Summer are opening.

kman22 likes this.
  5. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

Yeah, one of the larger western/central NY promoters who will not be named wanted Anthology to sign a noncompete with them so they would be the only promoter. Anthology couldn’t afford to only use one promoter and didn’t have the resources to only do in house promotion so the owner took the loss and shut down.

6. Phil507

Was that place formerly known as the Harro East Ballroom? Drove up there a few times in college as well.

7. Phil507

LCD Soundsystem residency at Brooklyn Steel this Nov/Dec.

Brent likes this.
  8. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Jingle Ball lineups are out, there’s not an image with all the artists but here are individual ones that cover all the artists playing

Cgarnsay likes this.
  9. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

10. Phil507

Still curious if Alt 92.3 and KROQ do a Christmas show.

11. Phil507

Also wild to see the Backstreet Boys listed not on top. As someone who lived through the 98-02 boy band craze, weird to think they'd be playing on the same level as Tate McRae.

12. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Tate McRae sings like a baby.

Helloelloallo likes this.
  13. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I think KROQ used the pandemic as an opportunity to make a lot of changes. I read an article a while back about how they were aiming to re-brand the station toward a younger audience. I think they pulled back on that a bit looking at recent playlists, but things aren't going great over there still...

I'd imagine the fact that those events were part of the "old guard" and there isn't so much money rolling in (and frankly, those radio station festivals were mostly put together as favors from record labels anyway--not much money there any more either)... Means they just want to cut 'em.

I wouldn't expect them to come back.

EDIT: Which pains me, as a radio nerd who worked in the industry for a few years at a time when the legacy station I worked at was dying a slow, painful death and had to hear that the PM didn't want to play Rise Against or Death Cab For Cutie because they were "flash in the pan" and instead wanted to focus on what "really rocked." LOL

theasteriskera and kman22 like this.
  14. Phil507

Appreciate the context and I read that same article. I have always wondered how those festivals functioned in the 2010's when doing favors for radio stations really didn't get you as much as it did in the 90's/00's. I think someone posted a tweet a few pages back that Alt 92.3 was still doing a Christmas show and, I imagine with Kevin Weatherly back at KROQ, they have to want to do something.

Curious as to what station/format you worked in as that's hilarious that a PM didn't want to at least play Rise Against if they were at one of those stations that "really rocked".

alkalinexandy and theasteriskera like this.
  15. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

I’m surprised KROQ is still going. It really felt like they alienated their audience (myself included lol) after they rebranded and also fired Kevin and the morning crew

alkalinexandy likes this.
  16. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, it's a weird situation and I was never been given any explicit details. But it's a lot of "Okay, you want the Chili Peppers to play? Cool, put songs X, Y, and Z from these younger artists in mid-level rotation for a few months and put them on the bill too. We'll make sure the price is right." I also think that's why a lot of them have switched to a format where it's basically like, a package tour with 3-4 smaller bands added. Probably more cost-effective that way.

I didn't know Weatherly was back at KROQ now! TBH, that might change things for them...

The station wasn't one of the ones that "really rocked." That's just what he was going for/what was told to me. LOL. They ultimately caved on the Rise Against... And a Death Cab single at one point. But it was just one. And conveniently around the time they had a ticket giveaway.

The actual "format" of the station was "alternative rock" for most of its tenure. They switched to "active rock" from like, 2000-2002. By the time I was there (late 2006-2010) it was back to "alternative" and fighting hard against most of the current trends in weird ways that didn't help them. The station was a big one in Boston and is no longer on-air.

17. Blink182Bouncer Sep 30, 2022
    (Last edited: Sep 30, 2022)
    Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Thoughts on Jingle Ball this year

-Weird that there's no New York City or St. Paul date of Jingle Ball this year.

-It's funny that Jack Harlow & Dua Lipa are coheadlining the LA date considering he wrote a song about wanting to bang her, but it's also kinda sad that Jack Harlow is so popular.

-Sam Smith/Pitbull/AJR/Macklemore being at top bill in Atlanta is hilariously cursed.

-Dove Cameron, Tate McCrae, LAUV, Backstreet Boys & Demi Lovato in Boston would be super fun, especially cause I could leave before Jack Harlow.

-I regularly forget Sam Smith & Charlie Puth are different people, so them coheadlining the Philly date gave me whiplash.

Other than that, these lineups are pretty run-of-the-mill for Jingle Ball, so I'm not too bummed it's not coming to my state this year,

18. Cmoney86

Trusted

I’m so happy q101 is back in Chicago. It should have never been flipped in the first place. And with them going back the actually being q101 I think they got a lot of the media rights back to all the old songs they used to play. Not that I listen to the radio when I drive since I use Apple Music but every time I do have q101 on it’s all the old shit they used to play.

19. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Detroit seems unlikely for me but would be very funny and dumb and silly.

20. Phil507

Are you talking about BCN 104.1? They were one of the many Howard Stern stations that reported as alternative but leaned Active Rock (I had 92.3 K-Rock in NYC which was one of the most conservative playlists out there). I remember asking a DJ at the time why they didn't play Third Eye Blind's "How's It Going to Be" in late 97-early 98 despite playing the other singles and he straight up told me that it was too "gay/soft" for their audience.

21. Phil507

Since everyone loves to complain about prices and out of curiosity, I went back and checked to see what the two GA pit tickets I had for tonight's Killers show at MSG were when I bought them a whole year ago. Came out to $235 total (so $117.50 each) which feels....VERY reasonable these days.

22. Phil507

There's one in NY, it just gets announced last. They have a whole event JUST to announce the lineup at some place in NJ. Z100's Twitter feed is covering it at this second.

23. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Yup, hah. They were always an interesting station in terms of the playlist. Because they definitely skewed more "active rock" but would also do random shit like play Jack Johnson singles into the ground, would always play New Found Glory singles and the like... But then would have that kind of attitude about Yellowcard where it was "too poppy." Which is just weird.

By the time I was there, the DJs were significantly cooler than the music they were playing. Hah. Most of them loathed a lot of the playlist (and justifiably so).

24. Phil507

I was always super into radio playlists and how they would vary by station in the late 90's/early 00's so this stuff is fascinating to me. 'BCN, from what I remember, had decades of heritage under its belt which is why it would still play, say, the new Aerosmith song amongst other modern rock titles. NYC was always a challenge for modern/active rock stations post-late 90's due to the rapidly changing demographics of the city on top of the shift from radio to mp3's so while Boston could support to modern rock stations and one active (believe that was the long running 107.3 out of Worcester) NYC only had one hybrid that fell apart in 2005.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  25. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

$117.50 for pit tickets is very reasonable to me. I think past $150 I personally would say is too much

Brent likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.