Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tooth & Nail / Solid State Records Thread • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by HelloThisIsDog, Jul 22, 2020.

1. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Yes, the Brothers Martin. Great LP too!
    I listened to this a few months back, still enjoyed it a fair amount.
    Loved these guys! Their album from a few years back was great when they got back together. So underrated..

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  2. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

I got to interview them for my zine way back in like, 2006, and hung out after the show. Nice dudes. It was kinda sad watching them play for about 10 people, though.

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  3. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Awesome experience! Right? I feel like they never gained any traction. I actually attribute that to the vocalist...he was definitely an acquired taste.

aspeedomodel and SmashRipsaw like this.
  4. Lucas27

Trusted

What do y'all think is the most underrated record to come out of T&N?

I feel like Jonezetta's Cruel To Be Young is cruelly unappreciated. Such a terrific indie pop rock record that plays second fiddle to the more "popular" record of an already overlooked band.

(I also genuinely didn't mean to make two album puns there)

5. SmashRipsaw Jul 23, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 23, 2020)
    SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Suuuure you didn't.

I still prefer Popularity, but both of those were great albums. It was already mentioned in this thread, but that Terminal album was super good. Secret & Whisper was a pretty solid Saosin ripoff.

Oh, and The Love of Life by Watashi Wa is such a happy, upbeat album. I used to listen to it when I needed a break from the angsty stuff.

6. aspeedomodel

I feel like everything by Joy Electric was underrated. Ronnie is such a genius haha. Maybe the Others Opus if I had to pick one?

But I also feel like Write This Down were written off by a lot when they were incredibly interesting and catchy.

Lucas27 likes this.
  7. Lucas27

Trusted

I should check that Watashi Wa album. Secret & Whisper's record are great. Honestly, some of their guitar riffs are among my favorites of all-time even if their sound bordered on becoming kind of homogeneous. It would have been interesting to see what they'd have done on a third record.

I need to listen to Joy Electric. Interestingly, I follow Ronnie on Twitter and love his pastoral stuff, but I've always found Joy Electric a bit too odd. I should revisit Write This Down. Their self-titled was an...odd record. But I remember it being solid. "Renegade" was always a jam.

aspeedomodel likes this.
  8. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

The Otherly Opus is a jam. Ronnie's music was always so weird, but I guess there was a big enough niche to keep him on the label.

aspeedomodel likes this.
  9. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Just here to mention Zao's back catalog being a jewel in the Solid State vault.

10. cyclones_37

I built this vessel and it could capsize anytime Supporter

Hard to argue with Watashi Wa and Terminal for underrated, really wish we got more albums from both of them. Twothirtyeight's albums could also be on the list

11. wood&wire

just one of those ghosts

I would throw Search the City's debut on the underrated list as well as Ivoryline's Vessels.

12. aspeedomodel

Yeah, I follow him too and have read his books. I really enjoy his pastoral ministry. His podcast is also a fun listen (sometimes).

Write This Down had a follow-up which was also quite good, little heavier and less polished.
    His Legacy album series was incredible. White Songbook -> Tick Tock Treasury -> Hello Mannequin and so on were an incredible run..

13. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

I’ve never been able to get into Joy Electric either. I need to listen to Brothers Martin though. I love SF59 but have no idea what to expect from their side project.

aspeedomodel likes this.
  14. aspeedomodel

Speaking of Terminal - I bought their album on a whim (being Tooth and Nail) and I HATED it.

I even took it back to the Christian Bookstore for refund. She rang me up and everything and then went "Oh...sorry, I have to ask, why are you returning it what was wrong?" and I said I just didn't like it and she said "oh....hmmmm I can't accept that so...sorry you'll have to keep it." Someone in line was like "aw that sucks, nothing on it you enjoy at all?" and I was just like "Eh...I dunno I guess"

Album is fine now, but I always listen with that hanging over me.

15. aspeedomodel

It sounds like Starflyer w/ Ronnie on drums and adding synth bass lines. It's incredible.

I'm super bummed they never (and won't) do another release.

SaveTheEarth likes this.
  16. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

DId they have a falling out or something?

17. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Now that there's a separate T&N thread, the Christian music thread's never gonna get bumped again (unless I get an excuse someday to talk about dc Talk again).

SmashRipsaw likes this.
  18. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

I’ll be sure to bring up Relient K and FIF in there from time to time.

19. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

And Facedown

20. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Another underrated band: Far-Less. They played such a strange combination of genres, I think a lot of people didn't know what to make of them. They had some great songs, though.

21. aspeedomodel

Nah, I think they've both just said they've moved on from the project and it was a one-time thing. If they do more music, it's under a new/different name.

22. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

They’re so good! Definitely underrated. Them and Jonezetta could have been something huge but what can ya do.

SmashRipsaw likes this.
  23. aspeedomodel

I remember when their first album came out it was compared to He Is Legend and I sort of got that a bit.

Really good band, I revisit their releases often actually.

24. Lucas27

Trusted

What happened to Artifex Pereo? I never got super into them but I always appreciated their music.

25. Dog Fish

Mutt

I used to be a rebellious, atheist teenager. In 2005, I saw Underoath at warped tour in Salt Lake City, Utah. I heard them preach, witness and bare their testimonies halfway through the set. I felt the Spirit soooooooo strong that I started moshing even harder. Changed my life. I'm a believer in our savior jesus christ to this day.