Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tool - Fear Inoculum (August 30, 2019) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, May 8, 2019.

1. awwgereee

I’m not sure why you’re ignoring the fact that survivors have a hard time coming forward when an artist’s fans talk over them, come after them, or ignore them altogether.

Also what is it that requires considering? Raping one person still makes someone a rapist. They shouldn’t have a platform at all, no matter how much you like their music.

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

need more clarity on the reznor issue. given where he was with addiction and suicidal tendencies 20 years ago, i wouldn’t be shocked about skeletons being in his closet. that said, the posting about those allegations seems a little odd and quite different from this scenario.

DarkHotline likes this.
  3. phaynes12

ah, the tried and true “separate art and artist” line that is never awful at all. mark your bingo card.

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Because separating art from artist for an active, working artist means allowing that artist to still hold a place of power and potentially continuing to abuse their fans. Because these allegations, and the ones brought up in the Twitter thread, have not been disproven and yet the hype for Tool is immense.

5. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Because it continues to allow these guys to abuse their platform when you separate the art from the artist. It’s the reason As I Lay Dying can tour.

ItsAndrew, Anthony_, Jake W and 8 others like this.
  6. socklord

Trusted

"Separate art from the artist" is the very thinly veiled way of saying "I like this band too much and can't be bothered to stop listening to them."

Again, if you are going to openly support the band in here, you better be ready for any and all justified criticism

7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Hey, separate all the dead guys you want from their art. Separate active artists from their art. Just don't publicly or monetarily support them.

riotspray, ItsAndrew, FTank and 5 others like this.
  8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

And hey, I guess I was annoying enough today to get people to actually pay attention to my posts instead of just posting other shit and ignoring it. I'll chalk it up as a little win

9. phaynes12

imagine someone saying separate politics from the politician or stats from the athlete or food from the restaurant. no one would ever bc it’s a dumb as shit argument and you shouldn’t be an idiot and do it for art either just my take ok thanks

333 GANG likes this.
  10. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

MJK is also a cop supporting piece of shit allegations aside. just sayin

11. Davjs

Trusted

Imagine thinking you are winning one over on people online behind usernames (that might as well be fictional people honestly) on some random forum. It's not like anyone is going to their recent arena tour a few months back and protesting, since all those thousands of people are rapist and rape supporters it seems, but they are doing the real work of wasting so much enegery waiting on here for someone to post so they can reply "gotcha". I honestly just think it's sad that is someone's life and freetime.

beachdude and DesolateEarth like this.
  12. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I think it’s sad that someone’s life and free time is used defending abusers. But to each their own, I suppose.

ItsAndrew, coleslawed, FTank and 15 others like this.
  13. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

not sure who said people who support tool are rapists (?????) but as far as all those people being supporters of a rapist....uh yeah that would be the problem. its also not a wise idea to tell people who you do not know that they arent actually doing, as you put it, "real work," because you have no clue and it makes you look like a giant jack ass. just an fyi

14. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Imagine being this dense

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

That is uh, one of the worst takes I've seen on this website. I had an AP flashback. I didn't know that those kinds of people followed over here, especially one with 10k posts on the website

ItsAndrew, dadbolt, Anthony_ and 13 others like this.
  16. phaynes12

imagine ignoring abuse bc you like prog rock a lot

17. socklord

Trusted

My name is Michael and I believe word of mouth among the common people is just as important to do. Sorry you seem to think it's a waste of time and energy

18. DesolateEarth

Birb

I like how as soon as an album was announced you all just decided to dog pile this thread as usual. Also imagine accusing someone of stifling conversation when that's exactly what you guys are doing by trying to shut down any point of view other than your own. I'm not trying to shut anything down. Just blocked a person who was being persistent about not letting us have a conversation about the music.

beachdude likes this.
  19. Joe4th

Sorry that we aren’t interested in the point of view of siding with a rapist and pretending nothing happened so we can listen to some album

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

If we oppose the allegations being swept under the rug, the intelligent thing to do would be to post in an active thread about the band. This isn't a "point of view" kind of issue, that's a silly thing to say. Reminds me of what the alt-right does on Twitter

ItsAndrew, dadbolt, Anthony_ and 10 others like this.
  21. DesolateEarth

Birb

Go back and tell me where I said I was on Maynard's side in the slightest.

22. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

ItsAndrew, dadbolt, Anthony_ and 5 others like this.
  23. Joe4th

Sweeping this under the rug and crying that people bring this up is siding with him.

FTank, Anthony_, aliens exist and 2 others like this.
  24. Davjs

Trusted

Just call everyone alt right to prove a point. Let's see if we can add some "yikes" "oof" and a inability to accept a different POV into this conversation and we have a bingo.

beachdude likes this.
  25. Joe4th

Keep rationalizing it so you feel better about yourself listening to some album.

ItsAndrew, Anthony_, Jake W and 4 others like this.