Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tonight Alive Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Penguin, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Penguin

just let me cry a little bit longer Prestigious

Tonight Alive are an Australian rock band from Sydney, formed in 2008. The band consists of lead vocalist Jenna McDougall, lead guitarist Whakaio Taahi, rhythm guitarist Jake Hardy, bassist Cam Adler and drummer Matt Best.

--

The new album has grown on me a lot, even if I still think "Drive" is kind of embarrassing. "Waves" stands out the most for me--I love the layered vocals in the chorus. I still think The Other Side is their best though.

2. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Pretty much agree. I think the new album got shit on unnecessarily, but it's a step down from The Other Side.

Penguin likes this.
  3. Penguin

Exactly! I think that speaks more for the strength of The Other Side than the weakness of Limitless.

Schooner likes this.
  4. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Totally agreed

5. Meltingplastic

Eh the new album was just too poppy for me. Likely the sound they were going for but The Other side was amazing so the bar was set pretty high. They sounded amazing seeing them at Union Transfer in Philly a few weeks ago so maybe I'll have to try to give the new albums a few more spins to see if it grows on me

Schooner likes this.
  6. Schooner

Trusted

Jenna scored a ft. on the deluxe version of Parkway Drives album

7. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Tried revisiting their newest album. Still pretty awful.

8. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]
    Just in case you guys were wondering what we were up to. Yep, it's that time again - Whak

From their Facebook page. Really hope it's better than their last album. I really tried getting into it, but just wasn't for me.

9. Schooner

Trusted

Yeah I struggled with it a lot. Except a few songs grew on me

She did an outstanding feature with Australian rap artist Illy this month. Her voice actually really suits rap/dance music

10. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Looking back on it now, "We Are" and "Everywhere" are the only two that I actually enjoyed from it. Really hoping that changes with the next one!

Schooner likes this.
  11. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

I listened to The Other Side so much, and unfortunately only a couple of times with Limitless.

Schooner likes this.
  12. Penguin

Limitless actually grew on me a lot, but it's definitely a bit weaker than the other two. Still love "Waves," "Everywhere," and "How Does It Feel?" though.

13. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

I listened to the album once, knew it wasn't for me and haven't listened to the band since then. I used to be pretty into them, but Limitless just killed that for me completely.

14. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

Looks like new music is coming on Sunday. Enjoyed all their releases except the last one, hope this is good!

[​IMG]

Schooner and Eric Wilson like this.
  15. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

For the life of me I couldn't get into their last album, despite numerous attempts. Really hoping to like whatever they come out with next.

16. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

Same, tried a lot as well. It was a huge departure from their normal sound which was quite jarring. More power to them for experimenting but it wasn't for me.

17. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Their last album was quite bad.

18. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Yep those were pretty much my thoughts about it. Still listen to The Other Side quite a bit.

19. tomtom94

Trusted

I said it last time - I'd expect this is more likely to be a deluxe edition of Limitless than a new album, but they may just want to jettison Limitless given the reception.

I wrote a review of Limitless on AP but it didn't get published - my general thoughts were that it was very repetitive and lacked the sparkle of their older albums. It was telling that "How Does It Feel" was the real highlight given that was the token old-school TA song. "Waves" was good as well.

20. I still listen to The Other Side semi-regularly. Haven't listened to their last album since it came out. Might give it another chance.

21. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Band now signed to Hopeless

Eric Wilson likes this.
  22. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Song doesn't do a whole lot for me, but I think I like it a lot more than anything from Limitless.

23. I dig it.

24. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Song sounds like it's missing a layer of guitars or something. Not bad but could've been "bigger" IMO.

25. tomtom94

Trusted

Well, going to Hopeless after a bomb seems to have worked for All Time Low. Will give the song a listen when I get the chance.