Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tonight Alive – Underworld

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Tonight Alive are back with their new album, Underworld. This album is clearly an evolution in the band’s sound as much as it is an evolution in lead singer Jenna McDougall’s mindset.

Underworld is highlighted by McDougall’s vocals, vocals that are illuminated in the best way possible through a crystal clear recording with no apparent studio trickery. The album was largely recorded in Thailand with Dave Petrovic and it highlights the band’s growing maturity — delving into concepts such as depression and negativity with honesty and hope.

The album ignites with the bombastic tune “Book of Love,” which preps fans for a more grown-up sound with crisp, clean vocals.

“Temple” is honest and raw as it rocks with the lyrics, “Intoxicated by my depression; and I’m consumed by the fear that I might never find the answer.” The band has broken itself from the shackles of the pop label and moved firmly within the broad alternative rock category. This song may be the anthem listeners in 2018 need.

“Disappear” features Lynn Gunn of PVRIS, and the pairing makes total sense in a song with honest lyrics and smooth vocals. McDougall’s vocals smolder again, “sinking down, I thought I lost myself, but I didn’t” on a track that could fit seamlessly on either band’s album.

“The Other” is very relatable to any listener who feels like he or she doesn’t belong. With the lyric, “everyone looks at me, like I’m not who I ought to be.” This song is poignant and personal to McDougall who has said the song reflects her journey to her truest self. From there we move on to “For You,” which is pure in its optimism. The lyrics, “For you I would breathe underwater; for you I would fly without wings” alludes to the unabashed joy one can feel within a safe and fulfilling relationship.

“Crack My Heart” sizzles with angst in tune that is as anthemic as it is raw. In the video, viewers can see McDougall as she seethes, “I wanna feel/wanna heal/wanna break/wanna change/wanna live.” And then we have “Burning On,” an up-beat track that is cleverly deceptive in its tone. The tune pops, “You’ve spent your life avoiding pain/beauty lies in that which is not safe” to tackle the work that needs to take place in order to make love last.

“Looking for Heaven” is a piano-driven song that, again, showcases McDougall’s vocal talent.

“My Underworld” is the hidden gem that is the album’s finale and is the duet fans didn’t see coming. The track features Corey Taylor of Slipnot and Stone Sour, on a song that encapsulates the darker feelings the album tackled. The duo sing, “These deep blue storm clouds hold my head now, strangely I feel at peace as I come into my underworld,” proving that one can deal with negativity and come out the other side, feeling resilient and ready to thrive.

2. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Whoa. A Slipknot feature? Good for them!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  3. aniafc

Trusted

Nice review! My review for the album just went up today, too, and I was really into the album.

"My Underworld" might be my favorite song on the album

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  4. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Cory Taylor did a duet with Candace on the Walls of Jericho EP he produced and it was great. I’m sure he sounds great with Jenna as well!

5. fbrrocks

Trusted

I so excited for this and I just preordered one of the bundles for the vinyl today

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  6. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

It did nothing for me...

7. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I really didn't like their last album, but I'll never forget how electrifying it was to hear "The Ocean" for the first time. Hoping to get back on track with this band and feel something similar!

aniafc and Nate_Johnson like this.
  8. SPine

Trusted

Been a Tonight Alive fan since the Purevolume days. Seeing them on my birthday next week. Really excited to check out the new album.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  9. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Can't wait to give this a listen on Friday.

10. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah this was ok

11. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

This album is so boring.

I cannot get over how muted the guitars sound in the production of this. The drums and vocals sound good but the guitar is completely buried. Horrible.

12. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I've never really listened to this band and it's not really usually my thing but I liked this album a whole lot.

For You is my song of the year so far and makes me think so much about my wife.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  13. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Awwwwwwww

Colby Searcy likes this.