Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Toni Erdmann (Maren Ade, 2016) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by brandon_260, Dec 20, 2016.

1. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

A reluctant woman (Sandra Hüller) must spend time with her estranged father (Peter Simonischek) when he comes for a surprise visit.

2. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

If anyone is waiting for this, please watch Ade's other two films in the time being. The Forest for the Trees is the best student film I've ever seen.

Joel likes this.
  3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I need to see her other films

4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Her debut is only 80 minutes!

5. Joel Dec 21, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 21, 2016)
    Joel

Trusted Prestigious

This was just as good as expected

when she is at the restaurant clearly thinking he has flown back home and she's telling her friends about him and Toni just pops out of nowhere I lost it. The last half hour, Jesus. Her mostly naked boss inching backwards towards the giant furry masquerade costume was amazing.

6. Morrissey

Trusted

All I knew about it was that it was a three hour German comedy with weird wigs and teeth. Calling it a comedy is incomplete; it is much sadder than that.

Joel likes this.
  7. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

8. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

There's two really great interviews with Ade, one in Cinema Scope 67 another in Film Comment's September/October issue. I wanted to link them here but they're both print only. Well worth seeking out.

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

TIFF had a bunch of free screenings last week for Canada's 150 Years and showed this trailer before every movie. So I've seen it like 5 times in the last week. It's a pretty awful trailer.

But It opens here on Friday and I'm super excited to see it again and finally show my girlfriend.

10. Morrissey

Trusted

I need to see Everyone Else again. I have not watched it again since it came out.

11. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Have you seen The Forest for the Trees?

12. Morrissey

Trusted

No. I know you have recommended it before. I will try to get through it when I get through 2016 films I need to see.

13. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

14. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Fuck that shit

15. Morrissey

Trusted

It will more than likely be bad, but every once in a while they surprise you. Let Me In was a fair competitor to Let the Right One In, and cut the bad cat scene.

suicidesaints likes this.
  16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

17. Anthony_ Feb 7, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 8, 2017)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Unpopular opinion but I thought Fincher's Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was better than the Swedish original. Also there's The Departed, of course.

But yeah, American remakes of foreign films are almost never worthwhile.

CarpetElf likes this.
  18. Joel Feb 7, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 8, 2017)
    Joel

Trusted Prestigious

That's not even my issue - it's how swiftly they are capitalizing on the success of the original. Atleast let it get through its release cycle before trying to overshadow it with some star studded version for people unwilling to read

Edit: didn't see Ade was involved, much less annoyed now

19. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Haven't seen this yet but I would think Nicholson being in the remake would be a good thing.

20. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I really don't see this translating well unless they just plan on keeping the basic father-daughter relationship and build a whole new film around it.

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum