Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tomb Raider (March 16th, 2018) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by jkauf, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

fun action, bad CGI, and nick frost. overall a decent time at the movies.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  2. I liked this a lot. Alicia Vikander is perfect. I'm about 50/50 towards the changes they made. I loved the inclusion of her father on the island, and Lu Ren is infinitely better than Samsel-in-distress, but I'm not sure about them taking out the mysticism of the current game series. I want her to fight actual ghosts, dammit! haha. The island feels a little small, but open world exploration games are by nature rather repetitive, so that's understandable. I love that she didn't touch a single gun until she bought two of them in the credits scene. There's like just enough of her using each of her iconic tools, solving puzzles, and raiding tombs without any of it getting boring. All in all, great economization of the game narrative, and everything leading up to the boat was actually not that bad. I like that they drew from RoTR to set up the second movie with Ana as an antagonist, but if Lara doesn't run into some dude who's literally immortal I might be a little disappointed.

johnnyferris likes this.
  3. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This was pretty meh. Good enough that I don't regret spending two hours watching it. I felt like it should have stuck with a lighter tone. Pretty much as soon as they arrive on the island it turns into this dark brooding kind of film and I don't think that worked all that well.

I'd be mildly interested in a sequel with the right director attached.

that final kill more on Goggins was sweet though

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  4. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Yep. Enjoyed this a bit more than Expected to. I liked everything in London. Some nice gritty parts like her drowning that dude; kinda wish it was an R and we got more of that stuff.

5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

awakeohsleeper and michael_gatto like this.
  7. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I enjoyed it and excited for a sequel.

8. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Yeah I'm looking forward to it

9. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I liked the first well enough. And Vikander deserves another shot. I’m down.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  10. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I'm ready for it. I wonder if this one will be based on Rise of the Tomb Raider

11. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

That's honestly really surprising, but I liked the first one for what it was & loved Alicia Vikander in the leading role. So, if they can double down on what worked, I'm down.

coleslawed likes this.
  12. michael_gatto

Trusted

I thought the first was really solid. Love Vikander in the role, wouldn't mind seeing a new director take on the sequel.

13. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

Never ended up seeing this but might be time. Maybe I’ll check it out over the weekend

14. I loved Vikander in this movie and had a good time watching it, but I'm a teeeeny bit put off by one particular departure from the game, how the movie made the final tomb not actually haunted. I think the second game even more heavily relies on the supernatural in its plot. I wonder how closely they'll want to follow it, if at all. I'm not an expert but i kind of thought ghosts and mummies were this franchise's thing.

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

It's weird that they really backed off from all of it in the games outside of a few things. I think the Baba Yaga stuff was my favorite part of the second game. I hope they eventually do incorporate it. Also still have to finish the second and start the third games.

16. Wait, who backed off?

17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

The games. The OG series was all annoy fighting skeletons and shit. The new series only uses them for the big third act blow off.

Davjs likes this.
  18. Ohh. Yeah, while playing I was always like, dang, Lara's killing a whole lotta people. I think it's cool that the supernatural element isn't always present, its scarcity helps retain its mystique.

I haven't played the third game yet, either, but I do remember the ending of the second game being a bit more supernatural than the first.

It's not present at all in the movie, though.

19. Davjs

Trusted

First one was good action movie. I hope now that the origin story is out of the way, it'll be more fun and actually.........have some tombs to be raided.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

21. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Yes please

michael_gatto likes this.
  22. BackyardHero11

Trusted

stoked. I really enjoyed the new one. wasn't perfect, but solid, good start

23. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

WHOA WHAT

24. But the first movie basically said there's no ghosts. Are they doing the second game? How would that work?

25. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

I didn't really even like the first one but I love Kill List and A Field In England so I'm excited to see what he would do with a Tomb Raider movie.