Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tom Petty Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Oct 2, 2017.

1. tomdelonge

Trusted

Way underrated

Love all those songs n also way into “One Story Town”, “Straight Into Darkness” and “A Wasted Life”

Craig Manning likes this.
  2. abw123

Trusted

I have said it 100 times, that album is loaded with songs that your casual/hits fan would never know but are stone cold classics.

Deliver Me
    Change of Heart
    Straight Into Darkness
    One Story Town

Those 4 are absolute hammers. Probably in part because it's so underrated/underplayed compared to his other albums, but I often think this is my favorite Petty album. Certainly the one I listen to the most.

Blainer93 and Craig Manning like this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

It definitely flirts with my Petty top three, and I think I might give it the edge over Torpedoes.

4. abw123

Trusted

Right. I'm not sure it's truly BETTER than Torpedoes but with Petty so many of his hits are so overplayed that it's hard for me to judge them fairly/evenly versus the best album tracks. I just love listening to those non-hits so much.

I guess the way I would put it is, I ENJOY listening to Long After Dark more than any other of his early albums because those songs are all so forgotten.........and it's definitely the most underrated.

Craig Manning likes this.
  5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

It's interesting: with Petty, the overplay never gets to me. I still get the same exhilaration hearing "American Girl" or "Refugee" as I always have. I love Torpedoes in large part because it's so stacked with great singles. But the album tracks on Long After Dark are, I think, stronger, which is where it might get the leg up.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  6. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Wildflowers & All The Rest is a lot but it's also well worth it imo

I've listened to it more than a few times lately

bradsonemanband likes this.
  7. abw123

Trusted

It sure is.

angrycandy likes this.
  8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

this dropped today. 90 minute doc on making of wildflowers

9. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

Oh fuck yes, watching this later for sure.

I miss Tom :(

10. cool little doc!

11. j0nnymarrzbar

Regular

I miss him too :(

12. Watching the doc now. Really great and really, really miss Petty.

13. Murph and angrycandy like this.