Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tom Petty Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Oct 2, 2017.

1. j0nnymarrzbar

Regular

Tried listening to Into The Great Wide Open (my fav album of his) this morning but found it too difficult to get through. Tom Petty was so special to me and i'm genuinely heartbroken he has left us. Haven't been hit this hard by a death in a long time :(

2. Jams

Trusted

I've been trying to listen to some of his albums but I keep having to shut them off halfway through bc I'm just a mess. My grandma called me to see how I was taking the news. We both love Tom so much. There are 3 albums that for as long as I can remember have never left her car: Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Neil Young Harvest Moon, and her fave Traveling Wilburys. I remember driving in the car with my mom listening to Southern Accents. My dad had a running joke my whole life where to get us all to laugh he would sing "Free Fallin'" as Elmer Fudd lol Man, this one just really, really hurts.

j0nnymarrzbar likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I think Mojo is probably my least favorite Petty record, but I really like Hypnotic Eye. The first half especially is pretty fantastic. What don't you like about it?

4. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Echo was stupid good. Where was he supposed to have fallen off again?

5. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Man. This one is particularly hard to swallow, much like Glenn Frey. I have listened to Tom Petty's music my entire life - same goes for Eagles; they wrote songs everyone listened to way back when, and so my parents, my grandpa, my cousins - they would all play Tom Petty. I remember my fascination with his music video for "Don't Come Around Here No More" when I was very young. "Free Fallin'" is one of the first songs I can actively recall hearing everywhere upon its release (I was 5-6 at the time). In a way, it's like losing an extended part of yourself since their music was always around, and was such a tremendous part of a backlog of memories.

6. Craig Manning

2000s maybe? I don't think he ever had an off decade.

7. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

“Let me up, I’ve had enough” is his only subpar album IMO

8. zmtr

Trusted

Thought I'd share this incredible cover of my favorite Tom Petty song. So beautiful.

9. Is there anywhere to buy Wildflowers on vinyl that isn't over a $100??? Has it not been re-pressed in the last decade or something? What is this travesty?!

10. abw123

Trusted

Hypnotic Eye is definitely more like a typical Petty album than Mojo was........it had some good songs.......but still feels like lesser Petty overall to me.

11. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

it's coming soon

they recently reissued all of his albums in a box set up to Wildflowers

the next set will come and you should be able to buy it by itself

bradsonemanband likes this.
  12. cshadows2887

Heard that yesterday and liked it a bunch, tbh.

Not a fan of Mojo though.

13. Craig Manning

Mojo is just okay, but "Something Good Coming" is one of my favorite Tom Petty songs.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  14. SteveLikesMusic

Preach. Even if you don’t like the rest of the album, this track is essential late era Petty.

Craig Manning likes this.
  15. cshadows2887

Hard Promises still remains not just his best record, but one of the best rock albums of its era.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  16. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Picked up Southern Accents on vinyl the other day. Hoping one day to have the ever elusive Wildflowers on vinyl.

House Of Wolves likes this.
  17. Craig Manning

They'll probably fast track those reissues now. They'd be foolish not to, frankly.

I've got no Petty in my vinyl collection at the moment, which has sucked the past few days. Going to have to rectify that soon.

House Of Wolves likes this.
  18. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Hoping they do, along with the second part of that record. I quite enjoyed the single he released from it.

I’ve got Hard Promises, Southern Accents, Hypnotic Eye, TP&THB, and Damn The Torpedoes. Hoping to eventually have them all. Wildflowers and Highway Companion are at the top of my wishlist.

I actually found DtT in a field at my parents house after a tornado took everything they owned. Nobody claimed it so I took it home and the sleeve is beat to piss but the record plays perfect.

Craig Manning likes this.
  19. Craig Manning

That's incredible about your Damn the Torpedoes copy. Vinyl is sturdy as hell sometimes.

20. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

So many of my memories of my mom as a kid involve us listening to Tom Petty in the car. I never listened to full albums on my own, but that'll change now. His music still had a huge impact on me growing up.

21. SteveLikesMusic

Shoutout to “The Best Of Everything” for making me want to weep every time.

22. SVXDan83

Regular

Yes, please! I couldn't agree more! That record was done at the infamous Sound City studio... which was an all analog studio. So, hopefully there is a pristine analog master that can be used for a new vinyl transfer. I'd love to get a 2xLP 45RPM release of Wildflowers in the worst way!

23. cshadows2887

Jesus that was pretty.

zmtr likes this.
  24. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

25. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious