Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tom Petty Reportedly on Life Support • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 2, 2017.

1. drewinseries

Drew

If he is DNR/CMO this quickly due to lessened strain activity, normal patients don't last long. Must be tough for the family with all the conflicting news as they are trying to get things in order.

2. fbrrocks

Trusted

UPDATE At this time, Tom's still clinging to life. A report that the LAPD confirmed the singer's death is inaccurate http://tmz.me/q4gSzE2

3. Ben Lee Oct 2, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 3, 2017)
    Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I have feeling they’re gathering family and waiting to end support, or they already have and they didn’t want the word to get out the way it did.

Either, sad sad day for many reasons.

4. drewinseries

Drew

Clinging to life is really misleading. If he was unconscious after and arrest, and got to the hospital within a certain time frame, he'd be cooled. A process which takes up to 72 hours. This is probably for family to say goodbye, unfortunately.

5. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

the way this news was handled makes me kinda uncomfortable. i understand that his passing is pretty much imminent but i cannot imagine it made the family feel good that TMZ went and then other outlets followed

CoffeeEyes17 and SlappinCups like this.
  6. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Didn't TMZ do this shit to Lil Wayne too?

7. Damien Davies Oct 2, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 2, 2017)
    Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Such a big loss for the music industry, had so many fans worldwide.

8. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

This is just too sad :tear: A True legend.

10. AshlandATeam

Trusted

All of this is done before the withdrawing of care. I've been through this process several times with folks in my line of work, and people can take anywhere from minutes to hours to even more than a day after care is withdrawn. The family/wherever is responsible for such decisions would have had input on when to withdraw care, and that always happens after everyone has had their chance to say goodbye.

11. It sucks a whole lot the second time too

12. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Between this and the Vegas shooting, this day sucked.

13. drewinseries

Drew

Yeah that's what I meant. The articles saying clinging to life, or that he's fighting are misleading, because if he is not being cooled, and he got to the hospital within 6 hours, it likely isn't good. Meaning they haven't switched to CMO to give family a chance to say goodbye.

I think we are in agreement, not sure if you were correcting me or just adding on to what I had said.

14. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Yeah, I'm not arguing or whatever. Most people aren't in the room when these things happen (luckily). I was just saying it isn't like movies where they 'pull the plug' (a terrible term) and then they die immediately. The difference in reporting was just 'they withdrew care' yesterday afternoon, and he officially passed last night. That's normal. And awful. But part of it in cases of brain death.

15. drewinseries

Drew

Yeah in my research we did EEGs and MRI on these type of patients. First thing my PI said in an interview was people in comas do not look like they do in the movie.

16. Derek Wright

Regular Prestigious

Petty, I’m crushed & grateful.. you were an inspiration. Your records were some of the first I purchased, you taught me how to fall in love with music. Till this day you are still one of my all-time favorites. This one hurts. Music will never be the same. #riptompetty #thankyou #wildflowers #damnthetorpedoes ✌❤️