Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tom Hardy Cast in ‘Venom’ Film

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 19, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Hoooooooolyyyyy shit I am officially on board with whatever disaster Sony has in store for us.

3. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Bane and Venom lol. That's wild. And both perfect casting

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

I'm sure he'll do a great job but surprised the role didn't go to someone younger.

5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

coleslawed and mattylikesfilms like this.
  6. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I just went from dreading this to anticipating this. Finally did something good Sony- good on you!

coleslawed likes this.
  7. I think it's weird we're getting a solo venom movie, but I really hope this is good. Please be good.

mattylikesfilms and Jason Tate like this.
  8. Omni

Regular

One of the few things that could get me interested in seeing this.

9. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Tom Hardy was my dream casting from the start, but I didn't think it'd actually happen. He's so perfect for the role of Eddie Brock, with both the right physicality and the right emotional depth.

Also, what I hoped would happen with the casting largely has happened: People who couldn't see how a standalone Venom film could work are now being won over. Regardless of what tone Sony is going for, hopefully they lean into some territory that the MCU Spidey films wouldn't be able to pull off.

Oh, and for anyone acting like this is the first good thing Sony's announced... You do realize that they have an animated Miles Morales film dropping next year, right? Produced by Lord & Miller. That's gonna be awesome.

10. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Shit just got real.

11. Hugo G.

FKA whiterussian Supporter

Hope he's a better Venom than Bane. Not sure I like it, but I wouldn't like anyone else anyway.

12. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

he was a perfect casting for Bane, unfortunately the Bane he was cast for wasn't super great.

mattylikesfilms and nl5011 like this.
  13. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I wonder if this is to make Sonys film division somehow look better? For the past year-ish, Ive read all over the internet how Sony has apparently been shopping it's properties.

14. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I don't know how I feel about this. I hope he can make a good take on Venom/Eddie. Gopher Grace really... let me down..

15. Cheek

hope they have Carnage involved somehow if not this film future films....Michael C Hall would be a cool pick

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  16. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Would love to see Carnage in this. I don't understand why he hasn't been included in past films already, really cool villain, and Michael C Hall would be great for the role!

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  17. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Carnage suuuucks, keep him out of movies please.

18. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Yeah bring on Carnage...

..but do it right. THis could be awesome.

19. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Perfectly said. TDKR was such a let down..

20. Tim

Carnage has to be the villain in this. He's Venom's most iconic enemy besides Spidey, and he's also the only one that can organically fit into a Brock origin story film.

I'd do Eddie Brock's story just like the comics, except have the police catch the real "Sin Eater" murderer instead of Spidey. Then, have the person who comes to Brock claiming to be Sin Eater but ultimately lying about it be Cletus Kasady. You'd be able to echo the source material while giving Brock a reason to already hate Kasady. Then some of the symbiote could end up getting on Kasady to form Carnage, leading to a third act fight that both fits the standard comic book first film structure and is narratively and emotionally fulfilling.

Cheek likes this.
  21. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

I think it's inevitable that carnage is in this universe at some point. He's such a big gun that I think they will set it up and save it for another movie.

22. jorbjorb

7 rings

better choice then Eric from that 70's show lol

23. Tim

Then who will the villain be in here? I doubt, with the attached creative team, that this will 100% abandon all comic book feel, so there has to be a villain, and there's no better choice for film one.

Obsessions with saving big guns for sequels are the worst. Just make the best movie you can, and then IF you get a sequel, THEN make the best sequel you can.

slimfenix182 likes this.