Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tom DeLonge Reflects on ‘Neighborhoods’ • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 2, 2021.

1. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

I’m sure this has been beaten to death, but a 4-piece blink would be so cool

2. IAmMikeWhite

@IAmMikeWhite Supporter

This would be the dream scenario, honestly.

3. IAmMikeWhite

@IAmMikeWhite Supporter

I go:
    The best songs on California/Deluxe > NINE > the filler on California > Neighborhoods.

huntercrunch likes this.
  4. Rustash

Thing-doer

Neighborhoods is great, even knowing how disjointed the recording sessions were. California has a handful of decent songs, but I couldn't get into anything off of Nine. Nothing from it has stuck with me except for maybe Darkside.

5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

That’s wild

HelloThisIsDog and Raku like this.
  6. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I’ll never forget reading an article in AP(?) and the record label didn’t like it at first saying it wasn’t strong (they didn’t like how blink pieced it together via email)

Mark, Tom, and Travis scrambled and actually met in a studio for two or three days and wrote Hearts all Gone,Kaleidoscope,MH 4.18.2011, and Wishing Well. The albums best songs.

7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I wonder what the scrapped songs were then since that would be only 8 tracks. I guess if they included the b-sides “Fighting The Gravity” and “Even If She Falls” it would be 10.

I will say that those 4 they put together are great songs but there’s also some really good tunes they put out on that record via email like Up All Night and Natives.

Analog Drummer, Ryan and Raku like this.
  8. tdlyon Dec 4, 2021
    (Last edited: Dec 4, 2021)
    tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I'm not sure if those are the right songs. I'm like 99% sure I remember After Midnight being one of them at least, and to me MH and Wishing Well sound 100% like songs that Tom and Mark respectively had very little to do with creatively

Serenity Now and Analog Drummer like this.
  9. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

After Midnight was 100% one of the songs from that session. Also one of the albums best songs by a mile.

Matt Chylak and Analog Drummer like this.
  10. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I dunno, this was years ago ha. Always wanted this thing on vinyl but haven’t gotten it yet

11. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Agree. I honestly doubt Tom even plays on MH.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  12. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I’ll make it worse; Amazing Spider-Man 2 isn’t a bad film.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  13. Conor Oberst

uh this isn’t true at all I’m pretty sure lol?
    Reads like a weird spin on the true story that their label heard toypaj for the first time and didn’t think it was as strong as enema-? Frustrated, Tom went home and wrote first date right then and there, Mark went home and wrote the rock show.

Didn’t Tom hear hearts all gone for his very first time when Mark dropped it on the site?

And Mark pretty much wrote MH alone.

Tom wrote Wishing before they ever even awkwardly announced “Blink-182 Is Back!”

and I’m pretty sure there’s videos of Mark alone writing and working in kaleidoscope

Raku, Ellamamama and Crisp X like this.
  14. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

The lack of collaboration hurt Neighbourhoods a lot. I don't know how they ever thought going from living each other and recording the Untitled album and it working so well (given Jerry Finn's huge input), to working all completely in isolation with no producer and expecting a solid result.

It just doesn't make sense logically at all.

15. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

It’s from ten years ago, sue me for getting some songs wrong. You don’t need to make this an AP.net Saosin thread man.

16. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Still like it way more than CA and Nine.

Raku likes this.
  17. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Honestly haven't even listened to the newest blink album.

18. Daniel182

No better time than now

19. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Eh, I just put on Paramore's ST instead.

20. Daniel182

No better time than after Paramore’s ST

21. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

nine is a really fun time if you're not blinded by nostalgia tbh

22. Jeff Roberts

I'm willing to support an evolution of blink's sound, but did they really need to bring in 16 other songwriters?

23. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

that will never be a criticism i care about tbh, whatever gets good music into my ears works for me

24. Jeff Roberts

Fair enough. I have a hard time buying into the authenticity of lyrics if they’re crowd sourced

25. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Here's how I look at it - everything after Untiled is shit. It's just a matter of how shitty is the shit. Neighborhood has less highs than California or Nine, but never dips down into the lows that California & Nine do. Looking right at you "Built this Pool," "Brohemian Rhapsody," & "I Really Wish I Hated You"