Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tom DeLonge Reflects on ‘Neighborhoods’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Tom DeLonge talked with ABC Audio:

DeLonge now feels that he may have been “too heavy-handed” in trying to change Blink’s sound for Neighborhoods, something he admits Barker and Hoppus were “probably rightfully hesitant” to do. Should he ever return to the band, though, DeLonge believes he’d be able to strike a better balance between what all band members want from a Blink record.

“Knowing that I’ve gotten so much out of my system with this type of music with Angels & Airwaves, I don’t need Blink to land here, like I might’ve 10 years ago,” he says.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. CMilliken

Trusted

In the minority here but Neighborhoods is better than the last two blink albums. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Let’s go!

4. deflector

formerly pizzatime

agreed, but that's not exactly an endorsement of Neighborhoods

5. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

I don't think this is a stretch at all.

6. Allthegiganticthings

Regular

I love neighborhoods

palebluedot, church11 and Raku like this.
  7. DannyZach

Trusted

It’s much better

8. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah I went through the last Blink album once and was like "nope...."

9. jeff.dart Dec 2, 2021
    (Last edited: Dec 2, 2021)
    jeff.dart

Regular

Nice when someone can critique their work like that and give credit to their band members . I’d love to see blinks dynamic with this perspective from Tom.

10. IATAvalanche

Regular

tom wants to come back so baddddddddd

11. Missing out. It’s quite good.

12. Ska Senanake

Trusted

So much better than the last 2 trash releases.

13. marioeatworld

Keep on moving. Busy street.

Neighborhoods lacks energy and chemistry between the members, but at least it doesn't give me listener fatigue after five songs like California and Nine. Those albums are so compressed and squeaky clean it's ridiculous.

14. gbuffers

England.

Neighbourhoods had some misses but it at least sounded like they were trying to push themselves. Especially when the three of them weren’t exactly in a good place. I’d be interested to hear what they produced now although out of nostalgia it might be more of a nod to old blink.

I like the last 2 albums but I do feel like they were too ‘safe’

Analog Drummer and palebluedot like this.
  15. IAmMikeWhite

@IAmMikeWhite Supporter

I can never tell if the reason I don't like Neighborhoods is because we know the recording sessions were tumultuous or because the songs sound like the sessions were tumultuous and disjointed. Whichever the case, I can't get past either feeling, and it's still my least favorite blink album.

thechetearly likes this.
  16. Miller304

Be excellent to one another. Supporter

Just reunite already! :clap:

Raku likes this.
  17. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I love Neighborhoods. And I can see how he may feel there’s some heavy-handedness. So if he ever did come back and that perfect balance could be stuck that could be an amazing album. And would probably have all my favorite pieces of the best things they’ve done! Please do this!

Raku likes this.
  18. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I agree to a point. My only issue with the last two is there’s a bunch of filler. If you take the best songs from both albums you have a really good album. They should have edited a bit and waited a bit and put out that one amazing album.

CMilliken and Raku like this.
  19. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Nine is excellent.
    California is fine- mindless summer fun.
    Neighborhoods has a few great tracks, some good ideas on others, and bad bad production.

Curious for whatever comes next!

Analog Drummer likes this.
  20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I can appreciate and respect this. I don't agree....but mad respect.

CMilliken likes this.
  21. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Excited to see what their live set up will be like when Tom comes back. I've always thought Blink could really benefit from a Jason White type like Green Day has to fill their shows out a little bit. I think a set up where Skiba fills that role and still takes the vocals from his newer songs would be cool.

Analog Drummer and blink180ryan like this.
  22. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I still enjoy Neighborhoods quite a bit. Is it perfect? Hell no.

Is it much better than California and Nine? Without a doubt, yes lol

23. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Creatively speaking, they seem to be aligned more now then ever given Mark and Tom's love for new wave/post-punk stuff and where they both have gone creatively the past few years. Travis will always show up and bring stuff to the table.

Because of that, I can totally see Mark and Tom vibe off one another more now compared to the Neighborhoods/DED era. Plus, Travis bringing his production skills to the table would only help them more.

Just Do It.

[​IMG]

Raku likes this.
  24. DannyZach

Trusted

Damn,do it already!!!

Raku likes this.
  25. dnaps

For me, Neighborhoods is easily the band's weakest release. I think Nine is by far the best thing these guys have put out since Untitled. Like, by far.