Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tom DeLonge on Why UFO Research Just Might Save Mankind • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Chcurry182

Trusted Supporter

Don't get that vibe at all. I'm not even sure how you came to that conclusion. He's pretty passionate about extraterrestrials and has been for a long time. I think all he's doing is sharing his passion.

emeryk3, Raku and Oskarr like this.
  2. RonandTammy

Regular

You don't think there it takes a bit of a narcissist to sit there and talk about how he has been speaking with high up government people and the truth needs to come out for the sake of humanity? He speaks as if he will expose the truth and everyone will benefit from what he is doing.

3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I think, rather than narcissism, it's just an attempt to validate his claims. Not that it's successful, but I see it as Tom thinking "Everyone thinks I'm completely out of my mind, so I'll let them know it's an actual serious thing that's going on and then they won't see me as out of my mind about this!" and it works or it doesn't.

I don't think it's about self-importance but a desperate attempt to not be written off.

emeryk3, Raku and coleslawed like this.
  4. JohnnyStacks

Regular

I think he's just excited. And he's in a position financially that's better than most to actually be able to try and dig up facts. It's not like he's shoving it down people's throats. He's just excited so I'm not sure why that's a bad a thing. Everyone gets so butt hurt over him not making Blink his major priority. I love Blink but they're a fuckin pop punk band.

emeryk3, Raku, Oskarr and 2 others like this.
  5. Chcurry182

Trusted Supporter

Agreed.

6. GEM37

She haunts the roads

People are butthurt because he was very publicly kicked out of the band and then two years later continues to make public statements reminding everybody that he left of his 'own volition' and that he could come back 'anytime I wanted to!' Like a dude who can't let go of an ex-girlfriend.

And then he insists that his rich person hobby is going to save the world...

7. Chcurry182

Trusted Supporter

I can understand the first complaint but it's his time and money, so who are we to tell him what to do with it? If he thinks that it will change/save the world, then more power to him. He created one of the biggest bands of the last 20+ years so obviously he will still get coverage of his current projects.

Raku likes this.
  8. JohnnyStacks

Regular

But like.....why do you or anyone give a fuck

Raku likes this.
  9. GEM37

She haunts the roads

10. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

[​IMG]

emeryk3, coleslawed and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  11. JohnnyStacks

Regular

Well I'm bored at work so throwing my 2 cents in and trying to understand why people care so much about what he does with his life. So now, why do you care?

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  12. GEM37

She haunts the roads

I don't really care about what he does with his life. I do notice that he keeps making statements about how his career and interests that strike me as false, and he wants people to pay attention to those statements (and, I imagine, agree with him.) My reaction to that is that his behavior is narcissistic and egomaniacal, and since I am a member on this website and it allows you to post your thoughts to a news article, it is easy for me to come in and crack a joke about it.

My butthurt is not with Tom DeLonge's life - I read about it, laugh, make a snarky comment, and then move on. My butthurt is when someone who feels differently asks why people are reacting a certain way, an explanation is proffered, and then the rebuttal is, 'Well, why even bother having a reaction?'

13. JohnnyStacks

Regular

You literally started off saying "people are butthurt because" and then started complaining about what Tom does with his life. And your second reasoning for being butthurt doesn't make sense, I asked you why you cared and you didn't give me an answer. So how could I respond with "well why bother having a reaction?". You gots some plot holes

Raku likes this.
  14. GEM37

She haunts the roads

...Alright. I care because I've seen Tom's statements over the past two years and feel that they are nonsensical, self-aggrandizing, and dumb. And I care insofar as I read the news article, and this website makes it quick and easy for me put my reactions out there.

I literally don't know how to make it clearer than that.

15. JohnnyStacks

Regular

If you get the time, watch the Pursuit of Tone on YouTube. It gave me a clearer picture of what was going on with his life instead of picking apart a few paragraphs he's released in 2 years

Raku likes this.
  16. Vegetables

Regular

I agree. That doc is awesome, I need to re watch it actually. Tom is passionate and sometimes in my opinion, he tries to do too much at once and everything suffers. I would love to see him focus 100% on new music, but it is just not what he is passionate about right now it seems.

Raku, Chcurry182 and JohnnyStacks like this.
  17. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

why does tom delonge still say things like people listen to him

GEM37 likes this.