Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tom DeLonge Launches To the Stars Academy of Arts and Science

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The live press conference from Tom DeLonge detailing the new “To the Stars Academy of Arts and Science” can be watched on Facebook. A trailer for the endeavor can be found on YouTube. Shares for the company are now for sale at $5 each with a minimum $200 investment.

I highly recommend reading the offering document before thinking of investing in something like this. The outstanding shares to asset ratio, lack of a viable business model, and clauses for dilution of any stock purchased make me very wary of this “investment.” But, I’m not a financial investor and you should talk to one before investing.

2. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Maybe Tom can have a guest spot on the X-Files, they did have Tim from Rancid on last season.

coleslawed and Raku like this.
  3. CSWAPPO

Regular

Dude has lost his mind.

Dirty Sanchez and Raku like this.
  4. Dead_Presley

Oh my lord, very murky and overall scammy and unorganized. Good luck

Dirty Sanchez, DejaMoi and Raku like this.
  5. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Everything about this just makes me think of Peter Venkman.

[​IMG]

Dirty Sanchez and hongfong00 like this.
  6. Jonathan Oct 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 11, 2017)
    Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

The video is long, full of buzzwords, and doesn't tell us much about what the "academy" does in detail. There could be more, and admittedly I haven't really combed through any of the other materials. However, my friend Sam (who may post here) read through the disclosure and sent me these tidbits:

• It lists out the company structure, the licensing structure that Tom has in place (his company licenses his music and likeness from himself.)
    • The company is required to pay him at least $100k a year in royalties no matter what, and he also earns .5-15% royalties on all gross sales.
    • He loaned the company $500k in total and he requires that the company pay him in full (plus interest) once this campaign ends.
    To Tom's credit, this is probably still far more legitimate than Trump University, so…

7. samhouston

(this is Sam). Just to add - I actually don't particularly really care what Tom does with his money and his projects. It's his right.

Only thing I wanted to point out is that this whole thing just feels kind of weird, especially with him requiring this company to pay him back so quickly.

If he's all-in on this company and believes in it so much, why is he requiring that it pay him so much money? Wouldn't you just not take the money and take equity instead?

Maybe it's because I live in Silicon Valley and I'm used to people investing in their own projects/companies and not expecting anything in return for years. Just feels weird for a dude like Tom to have all of these payment stipulations.

Jason Tate and Jonathan like this.
  8. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Yeah I mean this is basically just a penny stock. Hope it works out for him though! Honestly just surprised he didn't attempt to do an ICO instead... feels like this kind of crazy thing in 2017 would fit right in with those.

9. motifsinthecity

From the offering circular's company business/financial risk section:

"Telepathy. Research into telepathy may require scientific testing on persons, which will expose the company to different risk factors than its other proposed projects."

Whoooooooo-eeee. Say what you want about California, but it wasn't a conspiracy spiked pyramid scheme in the guise of a Reg A fundraise. Tom is banking on this offering to buoy his creative ventures and create a Marvel/DC type media empire--to then bank roll all his nutty science experiments. No thanks.

You might as well light your money on fire.

coleslawed, slimfenix182 and Raku like this.
  10. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Yeah, but a Chia Pet is a more legitimate real animal than Trump University, so that's not saying much.

Jonathan likes this.
  11. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

[​IMG]

12. Jesse Atticus

Newbie Supporter

They are selling shares of a company that have no liquidity value. There is no market for these shares which means you would not be able to sell them. Not to mention that any stake you have will be further diluted every time they issue new shares.

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. Beside that what’s the upside tho? Hahaa.

14. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Four Words: Strange Times music album.

15. snaps

Regular Supporter

So it’s a kickstarter without perks?

coleslawed, Raku, palebluedot and 2 others like this.
  16. Yellowcard2006 Oct 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 11, 2017)
    Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I've always said we need someone doing more research into telepathy.

17. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

this guy

Raku likes this.
  18. zachmacD

Trusted

Tom should go on the joe rogan experience. that would be something

Raku and chris-wrecker like this.
  19. Hazelnutsack

Irregular

Further proof that blink 182 was just a cult

Raku likes this.
  20. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I'm a financial investor, and you still shouldn't invest in this.

Jonathan and skurt like this.
  21. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

As a financial investor describe the business model using a shape.

Jonathan and Erwin89 like this.
  22. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

a penis

23. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

holy shit, already over 6million bucks...

Raku likes this.
  24. tobytobes

Regular

I'll be honest, if I was younger and had more disposable income, I would invest just for something to do.

I can see other people doing it just because, or because they "love Tom" still, or for tons of other "reasons", haha.

25. tobytobes

Regular

Also - I'm watching that video trailer now. Tom's normal calm speaking voice is very normal and not what I would have ever thought it was. I would have NO idea it was Tom speaking if I wasn't looking at his face.