Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tom DeLonge Comments on New Blink-182 • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 29, 2016.

1. J.Dick

Regular

In the YouTube videos that Hot Water Music posted about the making of Exister Stevenson is telling them to change vocal melodies around and they do it. Is that co-writing? Not really but it definitely influences the songs a great deal.

Jason Tate and Ryan Hayden like this.
  2. NotBruce

Regular

Yeah, I guess that's what I'm referring to. Like, I've recorded in various bands I've been in. We had a demo, worked with a producer who would help (at times) with structure, melody, riffs, sometimes lyrics to help the melody flow better, etc. I guess to me, Tom seems to be implying that they showed up, John said "play these parts I wrote myself and sing these lyrics I wrote", and that was that. Which is just weird to me.

jorbjorb likes this.
  3. rst

Regular

From the admittedly small sample size of the songwriting/recording process that ive witnessed from the sidelines, I look at the producer's role as the last phantom band member for that record only. When i hear that bands want to self produce i assume the band (or usually 1 or 2 main members in it) wants complete control and doesnt want any outside input, which is cool too. I think having a producer is super beneficial for the process though, to be able to have an outside professional help craft the album in the direction the band wants and give honest/unbiased critiques during the process can be huge. I dont think a lot of people realize how many producers who have no writing credit on albums actually helped "write" it in the sense that you make it seem. I bet Jerry Finn played a similar role to blink as Feldman did and im not sure if he received co-writing or only producer credit.

My point earlier is Blink songs are pretty basic, I think Feldman has a big role in shaping them (which is what producers do) but not writing them in the sense people think, like he brought a song he wrote to teh band or something. "Writing" in itself seems to have widely differing definitions which is fine. But I just dont hear anything new in the two songs i heard. They are classic Blink/Plus44, nothing groundbreaking.

edit: oops, meant to quote Surfwax

4. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Always floors me that Ilan took lessons from Travis. Everything is connected.

5. Ding ding ding ding. Exactly. Hahah. But if Butch Walker says it to Patrick Stump on a vocal melody, or Jack Antonoff does that with a Taylor Swift demo, and then they are credited (as they should be!) — it's used as a dig against them. That's what drives me crazy! Haha. We are like simpatico on this one, thinking right on the same page.

Robk, bradsonemanband and FTank like this.
  6. J.Dick

Regular

Are you saying It's a circular narrative in many ways, where it kind of sums up the human race in a time capsule.

7. Dave Dykstra

Daveydyk

My thoughts as well.. It sounds like something they wrote, but the have feldman there.. why not take his input if he has good points? I'd feel weird being in the studio and just dismissing someone who has opinions who you are working close with. The production to me sounds amazing, and it's just a team effort as far as making sure you have a great finished product.

rst likes this.
  8. J.Dick

Regular

If this was John Feldman of Goldfinger co-writes songs with Blink 182 people would go crazy happy. When it is John Feldmann Producer co-writes with Blink 182 its a totally different spin.

9. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Very much so. He could have said, "Feldman [not Feldy] - All Time Low, The Used, Saosin" and it would have had a completely different connotation to it.

10. Eml182

Regular

THAT'S NOT THE SAM...yes, yes he is.

BornToRun likes this.
  11. Yeah, I don't remember this much shade when Mark Hoppus co-wrote a song with Less Than Jake, for example. Or produced an MCS album. Haha.

J.Dick likes this.
  12. Dave Dykstra

Daveydyk

13. I saw some pretty shitty comments on my Facebook feed about that album.

Robk and CMilliken like this.
  14. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

"John Feldmann, producer of 5 Seconds of Summer and Good Charlotte"

All depends on how you word it. This is why the whole thing is silly (which I know was your point).

15. Eml182

Regular

Totally passive-aggressive. Tom is a walking contradiction and I am glad things landed the way they did - the new album is going to be their best work in years.

That said, I am just going to leave this here:

GEM37, chavril, sdnyjns and 6 others like this.
  16. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Are people expecting Beyonce not to use cowrites? Haha.

17. Dave Dykstra

Daveydyk

No I know... I'm just saying we are giving them so much shit for having their producer give input, when a lot of artists hire 15 people for one song.

18. Ryan Hayden

haahahahahahahaha!

jorbjorb likes this.
  19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh, absolutely.

20. Eml182

Regular

It's easy to turn this off after a bit, but please get to the "Whoah whoahs" for full effect.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  21. tomtom94

Trusted

I want to believe, Tom, but you were the one who's been fucking around with not going into the studio for ages. So, rather like the so-called "men going their own way", if you're going to go off on your own, fucking go off on your own already rather than passive-aggressively whining about the ex you're clearly still not over.

22. jorbjorb

7 rings

Ryan Hayden likes this.
  23. austindavispdx

Still on this side of the grass

The optimism and future of the band, yeah that's true. It's always so weird remembering how the majority of their albums came out so long ago. And how I can remember when they did (ugh)

24. Dave Dykstra

Daveydyk

Oh I'm sure.. this to me just seems like such a non issue. You write a song, ask your producer what he thinks and any notes, and somehow that a bad thing? The song is great, if he made it better, than i'm very happy with the end product regardless.

25. The nostalgia trip last night in the official blink thread was a lot of fun.