Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tom DeLonge Comments on New Blink-182 • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 29, 2016.

1. TheDunkinMaster

Agreed. How can we come to the better than ever conclusion after hearing one song?

Raku likes this.
  2. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I like the guy, but I feel like he's one of those dudes we've all been in bands with who takes to the internet as soon as something bad happens in order to make sure everyone knows that he didn't do anything wrong. Regardless of what people think of his recent output, just about everyone would have so much more respect for his decision to leave if he just focused on his work, released it with a moderate amount of fanfare and moved on to the next thing. This type of situation just reminds me of local band behavior.

beachdude42 likes this.
  3. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

I bet if the US Department of Defense (Bay of Pigs) was cowriting Blink 182 songs Tom would be fine with it.

r0m4n44 likes this.
  4. austindavispdx

Still on this side of the grass

Right. And do we really think it's going to be better than Untitled, TOYPAJ or Enema (or Dude Ranch, for me)?

5. ben.

'Sometimes the best response is no response at all.' A mantra this man could learn from.

6. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Everything Tom says I just get the feeling that he wants to be a part of Blink, without putting in the effort. And that's just not possible. And I agree, how dare he throw John's name out there. But it's whatever - both parties are doing what they want to do right now so that's all that matters I guess.

7. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

You should probably entertain the idea that maybe Jason has heard more than one song.

8. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

I think the legacy that Tom wishes were preserved has already been tarnished upon the post-reunion drama. I don't even care anymore, just want them to keep making music that I can replay a hundred times.

9. billcom6

I really don't see anything wrong with his comments. He likes the dynamic of them working with themselves more than working with someone from the outside, seems pretty understandable to me.

austindavispdx likes this.
  10. jorbjorb

7 rings

yeah a producer is an extra set of eyes and ears. He will get the best takes out of everyone and arrange songs better etc.. most of the writing is done by the band obviously.

11. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Imo, I think the defense of cowriters on this site and latter day AP has gone a little overboard. I don't think anyone's (not even Tom) saying the music is worse because it's cowritten. But Mark and Skiba not writing the songs themselves? To me that is a lesser Blink 182, because someone not in the band is contributing significantly to the songwriting. Now really I have no clue the extent of Feldman's contributions so who knows. But when a major part of a band's appeal is writing their own songs and now they are 'better than ever' with someone outside the band's help, I think it's ok to let that color your impression of the band a little bit. (Also, I think it's a bit disingenuous to refer to writing with a professional writer as sitting down to write with a friend, but I digress.)

I listen to plenty of stuff that was cowritten with professional songwriters and it doesn't make the music worse and Tom also comes across insanely petty here. Regardless as someone curious to see what the three current members of blink can come up with, I give them way more credit for the stuff that's their own.

12. Raku

Regular

I saw nothing malicious from Tom's facebook even the comment about Goldfinger's leadsinger I just saw Tom expressing his opinion.

That being said though, I do agree with this post/quote.
    At this point whatever Tom says is going to be met with some amount of negativity and major backlash. Even if he were to praise this new "blink-182" band I'm sure some people would bash him.

ben. likes this.
  13. klaszlogt

Yeah, this comment about Feldman is childish. It makes me think even less of Tom, which wasn't much after he quit blink twice. I felt like he was using their spotlight of putting out new music to insult them while still saying he is happy for them, and simultaneously have a holier than thou attitude about his own creative endeavors. Just garbage.

14. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Tom sounds jealous. I get if he feels left out, but it was really him choosing to sit it out from everything I've read. I think Mark and Travis are over the Tom drama. I could them working together again so day, but maybe for a live show when Matt's not available because of Alk3 or Tom as a guest on a song with the 3 guys.

Also, taking a shot a producer is weird. Mark's also produced and helped co write with bands. That's why he's taking a shot at John. It's a way of
    Taking a shot
    At Mark

15. Jason Tate Apr 29, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 29, 2016)
    I disagree, and here's my thinking: One side of the argument actively dismisses the other as "wrong" or inferior or at least has an implied "not as good", the other does not. I do not think that people writing songs without outside help (although I would argue that is basically non-existent, people just don't always even know where their influences come from or are explicit about them) is bad, or wrong, or less than. It's just a separate, different, entity. The issue I have is when people think the other side is worse - the aforementioned punk mentality. One is inherently closed minded, the other is literally the opposite. The dismissal in question is of the mindset that one is worse, not that a specific style or choice in writing is.

One accepts multiple, one accepts one. I don't think that can be described as the same kind of close-minded.

I think there's enough evidence to say that it hasn't for over a decade at this point, but that is more of a subjective argument. I also think their best records included a lot of outside help.

Maybe he didn't mean for it to come off that way, but the way he wrote it - and using the example of bands like "5 Seconds to Summer and GC" (who are basically Blink-182 for a new generation of fans) to me really felt like a dig. He throws in "The Used, Story Of the Year, and Four Year Strong" in that same sentence and I think it takes on a whole different light. But that pulled out portion definitely read to me like shade.

atomiccounty likes this.
  16. I think Mark and Travis want mainstream success again, and Tom is over that phase of his career and sees that idea as a step backwards. I think that's why he took a stab at Feldmann, if that's what it actually was. He has a way with words...

17. efp722

Regular

New Blink>>>>>>>>>NEW WORLD

18. "Endless Summer" >>>>> "New World"

19. klaszlogt

Great points. Jerry Finn undoubtedly was a huge influence on those records, and I read the 5SOS/GC example the exact same way. Again, nothing is wrong with that, but he obviously cherry-picked those bands with more pop-radio success than bands like The Used.

Jason Tate likes this.
  20. chickenlover

Said I'm okay, but I know how to lie.

"Golden Showers" >>>>>> "New World"

21. The last great Blink album or time for the band was over 13 years ago. The optimism and future of the band is, IMO, better than ever. After the last full decade of watching what's happened, I think it's fair to say that now.

22. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Jerry Finn contributed significantly to the songwriting on blink albums he produced.

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. Ryan Hayden

there's only 12 notes in the western scale, and blink doesn't play anything more than basic major and minor power chords (with some exceptions) so MANY songs have the same shape.

here's a list of blink songs with the same progression:
    Carousel (key of D)
    "Always" chorus and "Aliens Exist" verse (key of B)
    "what's my age again" chorus (key of F#) (key of G# live)
    "i'm sorry" intro (Key of A)
    "story of a lonley guy" intro & chorus (key of A)
    "feeling this" chorus and bridge>outro (key of E)
    "wishing well" chorus (key of C)

that's just off the top of my head, i'm sure i missed of few. point being, don't judge this song because it shares the same 4 chords as another rock song. blink and green day will never create a new chord progression.

rst and Jason Tate like this.
  24. jorbjorb

7 rings

yeah all your favorite albums have a producer on it guys. Except neighborhoods lmao. but that sounded like fart.

BornToRun and Ryan Hayden like this.
  25. suppyguppy

Regular

I've said it before but Blink is not the same band without a really hands on producer like Jerry Finn and now Feldman. They would never had exploded onto the mainstream without Finn working on their earlier records.