Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tom DeLonge: “They Have Someone Doing My Job for Me” • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 8, 2017.

1. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Been a big blink fan since before Enema - they were one of the formative bands for me growing up, and I'll always be grateful for Tom for that.

Also, objectively speaking, Skiba is a much better singer and guitar player, 'California' is great, and the band is better live now than at any point in their history.

If all that is is someone 'doing Tom's job,' then Tom should never get his job back.

2. sincerelymejames

Jimmy Reardon Supporter

This.

3. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

4-piece blink with both Tom and Matt. Let's get weird.

4. kyleadams

formerly thisisalchemy Prestigious

Tom is an era. Matt is a new era. Wish Tom saw that.

5. Weezer17

Tom needs to stay as far away from Blink as possible. The dude can no longer sing, and he is a distraction to the band. Good Riddance.

Erwin89 and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  6. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

100% of US Budget would go to finding Bigfoot and aliens tho.

Then again, that's better than what's going on right now.

7. ARo24

Regular

He says someone doing his job like he doesn't know who Matt is. I've always liked Tom but he definitely fell off his rocker awhile ago.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  8. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

I was always curious, once Skiba joined the band, how do the royalites and the money work? Does Tom get some of it off their latest album?

9. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Tom is getting paid in Space Bux, which Mark has convinced him is the currency used on Mars. All parties are pleased with this arrangement.

10. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Likely, which is why he isn't making such a stink. He needs the money, Mark wants to make records and tour. It works out for everyone.

11. IATAvalanche

Regular

i have only read this, a while ago on an unknown source...so grain of salt...Tom, Mark, and Travis own equal shares on Blink182 LLC or whatever they call it, and Matt is basically just an employee.

12. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Sounds logical. And I'm pretty sure what most have assumed.

13. aniafc

Trusted

It's probably something similar to that, but without seeing the paperwork, no one would really know. My guess, though, is that Travis would own a little bit less than Mark and Tom.

Legally speaking, he probably can force Matt out and come back in if he really wanted to. But let's also. it pretend that Mark and Travis wouldn't put up one hell of a fight to stop that from happening.

14. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

California > Neighborhoods.

Keep letting somebody else "do your job." He's doing it better anyways.

Daniel182 likes this.
  15. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Still think they should have reformed +44 instead. Never got the chance to hear those songs live and it was all perfect timing.

Even if Blink is better with Skiba, it still feels like a cover band to me. It's like upgrading your toothbrush but no longer using the toothpaste to brush your teeth (lol).

California is so overrated though.

Raku likes this.
  16. 44DeLonge

this!

Every blink album was better with Tom than this one with Skiba. Tom is blink-182! And the voices of Mark and and Matt are so similar. Matt sounds live absolutely disgusting in blink....

Raku likes this.
  17. justjess

Jaja

18. The Format

Regular

I wonder if Scott has any stake in Blink. I'm assuming not.

19. SoundInTheSignals

@Bake_Wear / soundinthesignals.com

Probably just royalties from the old albums he played on.

Raku likes this.
  20. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

I'd personally put it just above Neighborhoods, but only ever so slightly. Their voices are definitely similar which is good for harmonies but I do miss the clear distinction/parallel between Mark and Tom's voice. But c'mon, Matt usually sounds far superior to Tom live... lol. Tom just had such an iconic role that it doesn't feel the same without him. They're most probably going to reunite eventually anyway and the more Blink songs the merrier.

21. JohnnyStacks

Regular

I completely agree. His guitar riffs or as he calls it his lullaby riffs really do give Blink their unique sound and same can be said about his vocals. It's very very hard for me to tell the difference between smart and Mark in the album. I always liked the mix of Marks plain vocals and Toms I'm not sure why I like this but I do vocals. I summed that up like a moron.

Raku and Bayside 182 like this.
  22. JohnnyStacks Mar 9, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 9, 2017)
    JohnnyStacks

Regular

Honestly I'd rather hear Matt and Toms vocals together than with Mark.

Raku likes this.
  23. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Lol Bored To Death is the only song where it maybe takes some work to distinguish between their vocals, cmon.

24. Chuck!

Regular

Tom will come begging for a "reunion" tour when he needs more money for his stupid ass projects. I hope the band refuses.

California is their best record since TOYPAJ

25. JohnnyStacks

Regular

I think he's doing just fine...

Raku likes this.