Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Toho Films

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by justin., Jun 21, 2018.

1. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I didn't see a thread dedicated to either Toho kaiju films or Toho films in general but I have seen them both mentioned so I figured I would make this thread. Feel free to discuss and recommend any of the kaiju and non-kaiju films produced or distributed by Toho.

I'm going to do a re-watch of the entire Godzilla franchise and post my opinions once I finish each film.

2. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I've always wanted to get into these films, but I've never known where to start.

3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

If you’re talking about Godzilla specifically instead of Toho’s catalog in general then I would say the best place to start is to watch is the original Godzilla film. Unlike how most of the films in the Shōwa series (1954 - 1975) portray the creature, Godzilla was intended to be mirror image of the horrific effects of nuclear usage. Japan found out first hand what it was like and how radiation from these events will continue to horrify citizens years later. The film also goes into humanities place in that age and questions are raised when it comes to the man-made bioweapons capable of destroying Godzilla or if the creature should be killed.

After that film I would recommend starting with the Heisei series (1989 - 1995) as many fans agree that both the starting film (Godzilla vs Biollante) and ending film (Godzilla vs Destroyah) are some of the best in the franchise. It’s also the only pera where there is a reoccurring character throughout multiple films.

Shin Godzilla is a great film and like the original, Godzilla represents a tragic event in Japanese history with the 2011 earthquake/tsunami and the destructive force of nature being a main influence. The film also shares the public disappointment of how the Japanese government reacted to the earthquake. I personally think it has the best OST of the franchise as well.

The Shōwa series is good for monster mayhem but a lot of it was aimed at children and it can become a little silly. The Heisei series takes a more series tone and takes itself too seriously at times. The Millenium series is in the middle as it dances around being series and being campy.