Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Titus Andronicus - A Productive Cough (March 2, 2018) Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Feb 12, 2018.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

1. Number One (In New York)
    2. Real Talk
    3. Above the Bodega (Local Business)
    4. Crass Tattoo
    5. (I'm) Like a Rolling Stone
    6. Home Alone
    7. Mass Transit Madness (Goin' Loco')

we probably need a thread for this.

irthesteve likes this.
  2. CoffeeEyes17

quickfire thoughts from someone whos had it for about a week or so.

really disliked it at first. felt like a slog, even the peppier moments. its grown on me a good bit i suppose, Stickles is still a good songwriter through and through. the Bob Dylan cover is a really odd choice, im not sure if anyone was clamoring for an 8 minute version of that song but its an alright take on it. Crass Tattoo is really cool, I have no idea whos singing it but I'm pretty certain it isnt Stickles. it kinda suffers the same thing a lot of TA albums suffer in that its exhausting and so operatic despite being the "mellower" album in the catalog.

all in all its good, its real good, if you like TA youll probably like this and it has enough curveballs to keep it fresh.

tucah and jordalsh like this.
  3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i heard the newest song today and totally hated it, welp

jordalsh likes this.
  4. unfortunately i still think this is a huge drag, and i like all of their other records. interested to hear how other people feel

5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i know some other people that have heard the whole thing that totally hate this too. just a total bummer, wish we got a good titus album this year

6. tucah

not champ Prestigious

glad to see you came around on it @CoffeeEyes17 . i've only listened to the two tracks a couple times but i find the first one fine but a bit of a drag and don't think i like the second much at all. i'm keeping expectations very low but i'm still curious to hear the whole thing for myself.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  7. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

I'm bummed to say I'm not looking forward to this based on the singles, and this is coming from someone who's loved their previous work and always thought TA had a very hard-to-place magic about them.

8. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Didn’t care for the first single but thought the second was decent

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

New song reminds me a bit of Wade from Alexisonfire's Black Lungs project from years ago. I actually kinda like it, which is surprising as someone whose favorite TA track is Dimed Out.

10. local_corn

an existential crisis mixtape

11. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I'm almost through the film and I honestly think I'm really going to love this album. I like both singles a lot, I love Bob Dylan, and that only leaves four more songs.

12. CoffeeEyes17

Stickles is such a paradox of a human to me. hes both incredibly earnest and sincere and brazen yet really passive and sardonic and very self aware of how pretentious he and his band can come across as. the band also seems to thrive off of controlled chaos judging by those studio takes and recordings. what a neat little documentary. now i finally know who that is singing Crass Tattoo, shes got a great voice.

matthaber, dadbolt and tucah like this.
  13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

So this is out...Friday?

14. TheVandyMan

Please stop deleting my custom title Prestigious

All of the songs besides Crass Tattoo and Above the Bodega go on for at least a minute too long

cwhit likes this.
  15. i think like all of them go on for like five minutes too long

16. radiodead

Trusted

Love the 2 singles so far.

17. TheVandyMan

Weird that a seven-track album feels this bloated. Definitely going to give it more listens, but at first blush this is easily my least favorite TA outing.

18. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

very excited to listen. just one man's opinion.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  19. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

For calibration's sake, how do you feel about the rest of TA's discog?

20. TheVandyMan

The Monitor is an all-timer for me. Most Lamentable Tragedy is overstuffed, but its highlights are some of the band's best. Local Business and Airing of Grievances are both great.

21. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

Fuck.

Maybe all of this will lower my expectations so much that I actually enjoy this come Friday...

22. Doomsday

strange days are here to stay Prestigious

I've been really getting excited for this by listening to the band's previous work a lot and I think this band means a lot more to me than I ever realized. Just so, so good and at times almost uncomfortably relatable. Local Business is by far my fav if I had to pick one album.

I really like both of the new singles so I am excited for A Productive Cough. Think I'll enjoy it a lot

23. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

i like this quite a bit on first listen

24. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I think "Like a Rolling Stone" is one of those very few songs, like "Heroes", that sounds good no matter who covers it, because it's just such a good song to begin with.

25. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Woah, forgot this came out today. Have to remember to listen later.