Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

'Til Tuesday Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bradsonemanband, Mar 7, 2016.

1. 'Til Tuesday was a band that was around in the '80s, best known for their song, "Voices Carry." Their vocalist/bassist was Aimee Mann who has had a successful solo career from the time 'Til Tuesday broke up to now.

Anyway, I just recently got into this band and I seriously can't stop listening to them. They were fantastic.

This is the song that totally got me hooked.

ShopRadioCast just announced that they're re-pressing 'Til Tuesday's first album, Voices Carry. It's my favorite of their three albums. Hop on the TT train!

2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Welcome Home is one of the best albums of the 80s, hands down.

3. That album is fantastic too! I can't get enough of this band. It's so strange getting super into a band that hasn't been around for 30 years. And listening to Aimee Mann talk about the band in past tense when I'm listening to them and watching live videos of them all the time in the present is so odd, haha. It's like both are existing at the same time. Back to the Future kinda shit, haha.

4. cshadows2887

Welcome to my world.

5. cshadows2887

That's pretty cool. I don't really collect new vinyl but just the fact that someone felt it was worth the repress is really encouraging

I actually haven't heard that album front to back but I obviously know the title track and "Love in a Vacuum", etc. They're actually a MA band, so "Voices Carry" got heavier rotation on classic rock stations here than you'd think

6. it blew my mind that they repressed this. i can't imagine anyone else but me or you picking this up. seems soooo random, but definitely something i'm going to pick up! it's a great one.

7. cshadows2887

'Til Tuesday
    Primarily known as a "one hit wonder" (ugh...that term) or the band who spawned Aimee Mann, 'Til Tuesday had a short run as one of the best bands of the '80s. Mann's excellent songwriting (and bass playing!) were evident right from the start, and the band parlayed winning WBCN's famed Rock and Roll Rumble battle of the bands into a record deal and a killer debut album with the definitive hit, "Voices Carry". Over a short career together, the band grew and matured at a remarkable rate, issuing three absolutely essential full-lengths.

Recommended Listen:
    Welcome Home

Crash Course:
    1. Welcome Home
    2. Voices Carry
    3. Everything's Different Now

Compilation Replacement:
    Coming Up Close: A Retrospective

Signature Songs:
    1. "Voices Carry"
    2. "Looking Over My Shoulder"
    3. "You Know the Rest"
    4. "Coming Up Close"
    5. "What About Love"

Personal Note:
    They only had a 3-album career, so not much curating was necessary there. I left (marginally) more popular songs like "Love in a Vacuum" and "Believed You Were Lucky" to include the amazing "You Know the Rest", though leaving out "Lover's Day" and "Why Must I" was tough. Seriously just listen to all 3. Their career was so short and so consistently excellent.

bradsonemanband and Robk like this.
  8. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

Subbin. Will try and listen to Welcome Home tomorrow

cshadows2887 likes this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Only know Voices Carry and Other End of the Telescope which was co-written and later performed by Elvis Costello I think

bradsonemanband and cshadows2887 like this.
  10. cshadows2887

I don't know why but I feel like you'd be an Aimee Mann fan

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

You're correct, she just has such a huge discography

12. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Boston based. Nuff said. :)

My friends and I went to a show, somewhere, a free show in Boston - on the esplanade perhaps. I forget now. But she was there, in the crowd, and we asked her if she wanted to come to a party that night.

She declined, but..... way back in probably 1988 or so.

cshadows2887 and bradsonemanband like this.
  13. i love 80s Aimee, but i'm not really into 2000s Aimee.

14. cshadows2887

I fully vouch for these records as a starting point

15. George

Trusted Prestigious

Listened to Welcome Home, I had no expectactions, or pre-conceived notions about this, just going into it blind. It's pleasant, a very nice new wave record. All very smooth around the edges, compared to say something like Blondie. I think the singer has a decent voice, and when the instrumentation is let loose, the band backing her up prove they've got some chops. I think my favourite tracks were "On Sunday" and "Will She Just Fall Down".

In all honesty, I didn't really have any strong reactions to this, unfortunately. It passed the time for fourty minutes in a minorly enjoyable way, but nothing on here that really struck me as interesting, or coaxed more than a shrug out of me. I'll try and check out another record of theirs though!

16. If you listen to another one, go with Voices Carry. Unless you like more acoustic based/less new wave, then go with their final album.

17. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Listening to this by request of @cshadows2887 even though this bastard knows how I feel about the 80's. Just started Welcome Home.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  18. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

I do like Coming Up Close a lot though.

cshadows2887 and bradsonemanband like this.
  19. cshadows2887

It's got the 80s production but the songwriting at its core could be any era and that song and others are grounded in acoustic guitar, so it's not like listening to Wang Chung (who I also like) or something

20. cshadows2887

Listening to “You Know the Rest” on a loop tonight. Perfect song.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  21. YESSS love that song so much

cshadows2887 likes this.
  22. cshadows2887

The platonic ideal of male/female vocal blend.

bradsonemanband likes this.