Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

TikTok Is Helping Make Pop-Punk a Thing Again

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 5, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Aliya Chaudhry, writing at Consequence:

But there’s another major factor bringing pop-punk back, and it’s causing a lot of change in the music industry. TikTok has been revitalizing hits from the 2000s and 2010s – many of them scene staples like 3OH!3’s “DONTTRUSTME”, Paramore’s “All I Wanted”, and All Time Low’s “Dear Maria, Count Me In”. It’s also bolstered newer songs, like “I Miss Having Sex but at Least I Don’t Want to Die Anymore” by pop-punk-adjacent band Waterparks, who didn’t even release the track as a single (and have subsequently signed to hip-hop label 300 Entertainment). YUNGBLUD, whose work combines elements of pop and punk with other genres, frequently collaborates with Machine Gun Kelly and Travis Barker, and his song “parents” went viral on TikTok earlier this year.

Next level: When TikTok can get all those pop-punk bands that should have been huge back in the day a viral hit. Come on, let’s see some Lucky Boys Confusion dance move videos.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

fredwordsmith likes this.
  2. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

So, you're saying there's a chance that Gob's "I Hear You Calling" might finally get the love it deserves?

3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

let pop punk stay on tiktok

4. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I hate tik tok. It's literally what my sister would do in the 90's but you're able to film it now. Do a dance to the spice girls and now it's recorded. ie. PEN15

I will however give this a pass, pop punk's not dead

Analog Drummer and Raku like this.
  5. mit_backwards

Regular

Tik Tok getting some shine for LBC would be so bizarre and awesome. I can see some dances being done to Bossman though.

6. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Although I don't TikTok, it helped blow up All Time Low again and those guys deserve it.

7. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Great. Now make grindcore blow up.

8. JM95

Trusted

I didn't need any more reasons to hate TikTok.

billyboatman likes this.
  9. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

"For The Moment" is still their best song.

blink180ryan and alkalinexandy like this.
  10. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I think we should let 3OH!3 remain in the late 00's. That band (loose term there) would likely be considered all sorts of problematic now.

11. Dead_Presley

Wish Days Away had music that could be a tiktok dance and they come back. Love good old war but days away has my heart

12. brothemighty

Trusted

Sorry but this reads like a high school report lol

13. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I discover all kinds of new bands thanks to a few folks I follow on TT. Between that and the forums, I am not in danger of only listening to New Found Glory and complaining the new stuff sucks.

(puts on “Catalyst” again)

14. jeff.dart

Regular

Oof, I just went through 3oh3s singles to remember who they were. God they’re terrible. How was that so popular?

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  15. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Tiktok is a good source for finding new music and revitalizing my love for some old music I've neglected

16. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

It's cool seeing people find communities on tiktok. Also been cool to see ATL get a lot of love from ppl on the app

Jason Tate likes this.
  17. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

so, it’s just a matter of days before one of these kids finds Midtown and a trillion people make videos to Just Rock and Roll, right?

My limited tiktok knowledge kinda makes me think they have a pretty ~tiktokable~ catalog.

18. The layers to this post

19. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I'm gonna do this before the youngs get any idea to do the same thing. If I get big, I'll pay you in crypto.

ManchesterOrch8 likes this.
  20. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

(Insert mop headed haircut TikTok influencer name here) needs to blow up .Moneen. or The Morning Of. THEY DESERVE IT

21. tenspeed

Surprising lack of love for lucky boys confusion in this thread

AMC likes this.
  22. FloatUpstream

Regular

I could 100% see Good Girls Go Bad blow up on there and then people discovering Midtown from that

23. Zoshchenko likes this.
  24. AMC

Regular

Never could figure out how they weren't huge. So many great songs. It's unreal.

tenspeed likes this.
  25. AMC

Regular

Anything is possible. LBC has so many hits just ready to breakout one day.. just need exposure.

mit_backwards likes this.