Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tigers Jaw - spin (May 19, 2017) Album • Page 20

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Mar 22, 2017.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

jordalsh and OotyPa like this.
  2. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

jordalsh likes this.
  3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Great interview! I've actually been watching Tigers Jaw snapchats to see if they've been watching the new season of Twin Peaks haha. No luck yet. The new season is so, so good thus far!

teebs41 and jordalsh like this.
  4. Haha yeah, I feel the same way as they do. The last episode is a classic

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  5. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Just looking at the instrumentals

I really love the drumming on the record. It's obviously straight forward and nothing really complicated but the fills and grooves are really tastefully done. Everything feels set up really well.

When you think about one person doing the drums guitar and bass for this you start to appreciate it more too.

Guitar chord voicings are great and layered really well, the leads are slightly buried ( I think to showcase that these songs can stand with just ben and Brianna also so they could play with one guitar player if necessary).

There are some real tasty bass fills on here as well, like just perfect spots to set things up/ oh time has a nice bass grove too:

Collins, 5Stories and ImAMetaphor like this.
  6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

You could probably speak to this better than I can, but one thing I love about them is their arranging for guitar, whether it be chord voicings or structures or literally anything. Like, those songs exist on record in one way, but then there are all these songs that Ben tooled around with and condensed to be able to play on just one guitar -- adding lead lines to his rhythm or whatever, or picking different chord voicings for different effects sometimes, etc. It's just super cool to see the differences between different versions of their songs

teebs41 likes this.
  7. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

I agree the bass on this is awesome but it's a shame it's buried so low in the mix. Really the only complaint I have at this point.

8. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

hmmmmmmmmm

9. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmfmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

teebs41 and cwhit like this.
  10. I actually finished it last night I just have to finish up a few edits and submit - should be live on Monday

teebs41 and sophos34 like this.
  11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

cant wait to read drew's review in october

cybele, teebs41, cwhit and 1 other person like this.
  12. I am very timely what can I say

I will admit I stretch myself way too thin sometimes and then all I have is a holder of half finished reviews but I have the whole weekend off BABAY and gonna finish up like five reviews for Jake and Casey's reading pleasure!

13. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

lol we all used to do the same shit back on ap thats one thing i dont miss is getting behind and feeling like shit especially if i ended up having to just abandon the review altogether. i do miss writing tho

teebs41 likes this.
  14. Yeah - thankfully I've started to kick that habit a little bit by dedicating an hour a night to writing so that's why it's a lot of bits and pieces at times. my wife is the same way with her art so every night she dedicates an hour to painting/sketching and I dedicate that hour to writing.

I'm actually developing a small newsletter to do every other week - hoping to launch that at the beginning of June. It's appropriately titled "Bad Take, Everyone's Fault"

sophos34 and teebs41 like this.
  15. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

yeah writing isn't easy and I'm not good at it

...hence why I started doing it again? Whoops

sophos34 likes this.
  16. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

good thing yr back tho the blog scene was desperate for white male voices

im just fucking with you cwhit ;-);-);-);-):heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

17. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

ohh that sounds interesting! i dont really read album reviews anymore since i get nothing out of them and is pretty much why i stopped but i'll be interested in that

teebs41 likes this.
  18. Yeah the newsletter will be less "reviews" and more just commentary on interesting topics/songs/artists/whatever

Essentially trying to translate my podcast personality and topics into the written form

sophos34 and teebs41 like this.
  19. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Sweet I would be really interested in it as wel!

20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

yeah thats more what im looking for in writing these days anyway, not singular thoughts on an album but broader topics. i had an idea before i quit writing to do this article series where id like, shine a light on one or more lesser known bands from a genre as good "starting points," mostly for niche genres like for example i would do like a black metal article and write about an autumn for crippled children and altar of plagues, just doing that for all kinds of subgenres of metal, electronic, hip-hop, etc. but it never came to be, could still do it one day i think itd be interesting since like i said i do miss writing.

21. Kmil

Trusted

The more I listen to this record, the more I love it. Lyrics are starting to hit right now too and that's basically the moment where everything connects for me.

teebs41 likes this.
  22. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

This has quickly become the album I put on when I'm not sure what I want to listen to. It pretty much always hits the spot.

"Guardian" is still my favorite, but there are so many strong tracks here.

teebs41 likes this.
  23. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Yea I love this album so much, can't foresee a scenario moving forward where I would say they used Brianna too much, she's phenomenal on this

Kmil and KennedyBN like this.
  24. I was excited for years after charmer came out because I expected more Brianna on the next record. Her songs are fantastic

teebs41 likes this.
  25. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

the stone song is the only one i dont really jive with. but its like 80 degrees here and i just went for a drive and blared this shit and sung along to every word. i love it so much.

5Stories and teebs41 like this.