Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tiger Army Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by AlwaysEvolving21, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

New song is good

333 GANG likes this.
  2. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

I wasn't expecting it to sound like that at all. I'm curious to know if it's an outlier, or if the whole thing sounds like this. It's not bad, mind you, just surprising.

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

This is awesome!

4. Heron182

Regular

The sound mix could’ve been better in these performances

333 GANG likes this.
  5. AlwaysEvolving21 May 5, 2020
    (Last edited: May 5, 2020)
    AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Don't get me wrong...

I love 'Music From Regions Beyond'. You can just tell its a Jerry Finn produced album. Sadly, it was the last release he saw while still alive. RIP JF.

'Retrofuture" is really good too and I love the hints of surf rock infused in the album. It works really well. I dig the entire retro sci-fi vibe of the era too. In fact, I just got myself some Tiger Army mai tai glasses from their merch store and I'm stoked to make some cocktails with them.

BUT....

"V" is Nick's/TA's best album. Its phenomenal and the production is so timeless and so precise. The mini-documentary about the making of the album is great too. I like revisiting that every now and then. Very easy watch.

333 GANG and Heron182 like this.
  6. Heron182

Regular

I’m ready for a N13 solo album follow up too

333 GANG and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  7. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Oh...Nick's country album still rules too.
    His country/americana album holds up really well. Listened to it yesterday. Can't believe it's pushing ten years.

333 GANG likes this.
  8. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

My wife and I were just talking about this very thing. Power of Moonlite will always have a special place in my heart for being my introduction to the band nearly 20 years(!) ago, but I also think V is their best album. I love the guitar tone, and there's no filler. Retrofuture has some really good stuff, too, but there's a few tracks that I don't love.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  9. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

If I like Retrofuture, where should I go next and will I like the rest?

10. AlwaysEvolving21 May 6, 2020
    (Last edited: May 6, 2020)
    AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

You can start anywhere really. Each album has a clear identity which is what makes this band so interesting. That and how they nail the whole mid-century rock infused with punk thing.

I'd check out "V" next if you like Retrofuture. It's the "departure" album, but Nick absolutely nails the sound and vibe.

If you're into Jerry Finn stuff....listen to "Music From Regions Beyond". This is more of a psychobilly punk album. Davey Havok is featured on it and there are parts when Nick even sounds like Davey Havok. This album turned me onto the band and is my favorite because of that.

"Ghost Tigers Rise" is good too. Its more rockabilly. Some songs from Retrofuture remind me of this album. The production always took me out of it, but its grown on me over time. Lots of good songs.

The earlier albums are fun punk albums that remind me a lot of early AFI. These albums are LOVED by longtime fans.

JRGComedy likes this.
  11. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

12. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

13. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Discog run time again.

14. Heron182

Regular

I’m still trying to find their performance from Jimmy kümmel live years ago! I believe they performed forever fades away