Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tiger Army Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by AlwaysEvolving21, Jun 16, 2019.

1. AlwaysEvolving21 Jun 16, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 17, 2019)
    AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Tiger Army has become one of my all time favorite bands in the past four years so its about time they get a thread on here.

"Tiger Army is an American psychobilly band based in Los Angeles, California. The group was formed in 1996 in Berkeley, California, and its only constant member and lead songwriter is singer/guitarist Nick 13. The band has released five studio albums and one EP." - Wikipedia

333 GANG likes this.
  2. 333 GANG

ACAB

Very stoked for the new record. Can’t wait to hear a single and see what the vibe will be like.

TxAxNxD

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Same. I hope it’s a good mix of ‘V’ and ‘Music from Regions Behind’.

The wife agreed to go see them and Brian Fallon at Octoberflame this year! I’m stoked. Going to Universal the following day too. Nice little trip out of town that should be.

333 GANG likes this.
  4. 333 GANG

ACAB

That sounds like one hell of a vacation. Jealous!

Agreed on hoping for a healthy mix of the last two records. I adored V front to back, but I wouldn’t be opposed to having a few faster/more aggressive songs back in the mix.

5. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, V is fantastic but i agree, hoping for a little more faster stuff on this new one. Nick needs another solo album too. That dude knows how to pull off that country sound.

333 GANG likes this.
  6. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

If I had to guess, I'm expecting Retrofuture to skew more along the lines of the last album than anything before it. Hopefully we get a single in the next couple of weeks.

7. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

They’re going to be announcing some stuff soon so hopefully there’s a new song with one of the announcements. I know they’ll be announcing more tiki mugs per their teaser. I should probably order one lol.

333 GANG likes this.
  8. 333 GANG

ACAB

Those tiki mugs are sick.

9. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

There’s one for sale with a signed vinyl on eBay for $500. You should probably get it.

333 GANG likes this.
  10. 333 GANG

ACAB

Even worse, that’s $660 Canadian lol

11. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Mother of god haha. That’s crazy

333 GANG likes this.
  12. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Been listening to III today and it’s such a shame about the production because there are SO MANY good songs on this album. I try to convince myself I’m listening to a live version of the album. The hand slapping of the stand up bass is so prominent on this album for some reason.

Jake W likes this.
  13. Heron182

Regular

Would love another nick 13 album. I feel like this new album might have a cool surf rock vibe to it

333 GANG likes this.
  14. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I can see that. Especially after the last EP.

333 GANG likes this.
  15. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

Here's a quote from Nick 13 about the sound of Retrofuture:
    “Retrofuturism is generally a visual aesthetic, but it got me thinking, it’s the perfect description for our sound! The gear and instruments are mostly 1950s and 60s, but while the tones may be classic, we’ve always tried to push into uncharted territory musically with each release. So the idea behind this record was to create our version of what someone might imagine future rock ’n’ roll sounding like, but from the perspective of the mid-20th century”.

That sounds like a natural evolution from the sound of V, and that's exciting. I'll always love the first two records the most, as those were my entry point into the band, but I'm also a huge fan of where they're going sonically these days.

16. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I mean, I guess it’s all in the title of the album. Sounds super interesting. I wonder what the lyrics will be like. Hopefully we get a song and pre-orders soon too.

17. Heron182

Regular

What’s up with their Merch store nothing yet right?

18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

They just keep saying “soon” and teasing another tiki mug release.

19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

The new Tiki Mug drops on Friday. Hopefully a new song too.

Argus likes this.
  20. 333 GANG

ACAB

Yes please. Getting anxious over here.

21. 333 GANG

ACAB

We got our wish!

Short and sweet:

22. Damn, not really the direction I was hoping for. :-/

23. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Oh man! Old school fans are gonna appreciate it. I enjoyed it. Will be throwing this in my running playlist.

333 GANG likes this.
  24. 333 GANG

ACAB

Knowing how Nick 13’s tastes have revolved over the years, I fully expect this to be sort of an outlier sonically.

25. AlwaysEvolving21 Jul 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 19, 2019)
    AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I think this is just a taste of something new until it drops. Based off his description of the new stuff there’s nothing “retrofuture” sounding about the song, so I fully anticipate a different direction with the album.

333 GANG likes this.