Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tidal Posts Huge Loss in 2015

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Wall Street Journal:

In the year rap mogul Jay Z took control of Tidal, the music-streaming service more than doubled its losses, burning cash at a rapid rate and testing the depth of its owner’s pockets.

Aspiro AB, the Swedish holding company that Jay Z and a group of other musicians bought in early 2015, recorded a net loss of 239 million Swedish kronor ($28 million) last year, according to a legal filing. That compared with a net loss of 88.9 million Swedish kronor in 2014.

I don’t think that’s good.

2. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

When can we expect the inevitable Apple buying Tidal out for the exclusives?

Raku likes this.
  3. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

For now it isn't exactly the end of the world, either. The brand is still gaining strength, which is what it's really about with companies like this.

4. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I don't know anyone that honestly uses this service. The only people I know who signed up did so to stream the Kanye album and then cancelled. Apple and Spotify make way more sense.

Raku likes this.
  5. ReiAndCoke

Apple can just wait them out. I would.

Carmensaopaulo and Raku like this.
  6. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

My girlfriend started using this recently and has had no complaints so far. Granted, she's a big fan of the hip hop selection on there.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  7. contra11mundum Sep 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 14, 2016)
    contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Well I mean at least they have the whole "Tidal is the only place you'll hear Life of Pablo ever" thing going for them....

....oh wait

Carmensaopaulo, ChiliTacos and Raku like this.
  8. jorbjorb

7 rings

yeah. what did you think would happen?

Raku likes this.
  9. The Lucky Moose

The snarkiness against Tidal perplexes me. Of all streaming services, why shit on the one that actually seems to care about artists and audio quality? It's fine if you prefer Spotify or AM for some reason, but Tidal should be applauded regardless.

10. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Tidal has already been sued for not paying artists what it said they would. And to me, Tidal feels more like a good ole boys club of the 1 percenters in hip hop/pop music. The superior sound quality and claims of paying artists more does not feel sincere to me. They came off as ways to potentially charge more per month. I am not sure how it's a better platform for some random small band called the Dipshits out in North Dakota. The only albums and artists you hear about with Tidal are the Kanyes and Rihannas of the world. Just go to AM or Spotify and enjoy bigger catalogs.

Carmensaopaulo and Raku like this.
  11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Cost a lot to send Jay's cousin to Nigeria

12. DearCory

Regular

Waiting on that Apple buyout!

Raku likes this.
  13. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Spotify should make a huge move and buy them out! Probably not happening though. If Apple takes over Tidal, it's going to be game set and match.

14. ryan.conde

Who is Ryan? Prestigious

What would Nietzsche say about this tho?...

[​IMG]

polyfilla likes this.
  15. foomanfat

Regular

Actual question, not trying to be snarky: I don't know shit about business, but how is posting almost triple losses from the previous year "still gaining strength?"

16. The Lucky Moose Sep 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 14, 2016)
    The Lucky Moose

Brand awareness is growing. They had a good year in terms of exclusives and the narratives around those exclusives. If they are setting themselves up to be purchased, which they probably are, they're on the right track. Also, last time I checked Spotify isn't making money either. This industry is not yet inn the business of making profits, it's all about the future.

foomanfat likes this.
  17. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Pre-revenue companies are all about valuations. It sounds weird, but a company can become far more valuable even as it makes bigger and bigger losses.
    Imagine your app is valued at $10million. Then you invest a bunch of cash, and build the service. You're losing more money but you have more to sell. You might be worth $20million all of a sudden.

That's way oversimplified (hopefully not to the point of being totally wrong) but just trying to make it easy to understand.

From an interesting Business Insider article:
    "It does not matter if your tech startup doesn’t make money. It is more important that your product is effective, useful, and popular with users. Once you have built a large audience for your product, you can figure out how to make money later. Revenues today do not matter."

foomanfat and The Lucky Moose like this.
  18. morte

Regular

I think Tidel offers nothing different to the user but the exclusives, and that is not a good way of gaining new customers, as they are going to feel obliged to sign up.

It's like when Google turned all Youtube accounts in Google+ accounts without asking. The service could be good, but the way it was presented created rejection.

Raku likes this.