Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ticketmaster Invests in Facial-Recognition Technology

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 9, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jacob Kastrenakes, writing at The Verge:

Someday in the not-so-distant future, you might be able to walk into a concert venue without waiting in line for your ticket to be scanned — because instead, the venue will automatically scan and identify your face.

That’s the experience that Live Nation and Ticketmaster suggested they’ll try to develop last week, when announcing an investment in Blink Identity.

All the technology we grew up watching and reading in dystopian movies and novels is basically coming to pass. Should I be worried?

Raku likes this.
  2. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

we're gonna be dominated by shitty middleman companies

Raku likes this.
  3. Raku

Regular

Uh, that's actually a bit creepy...

On a less worried (for privacy) angle, I'm curious how this will exactly work? Normally you just order a ticket, and that's it. This will just make things a bit more 'interesting' when it comes to buying event passes. For example, how would they even get your identity to create an I.D. that matches with your purchase?

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Ticketmaster is my least favorite company.

oldboot, Turkeylegz and Shrek like this.
  5. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

i am still harboring a lot of pointless anger over the whole "settlement" fiasco

Turkeylegz likes this.
  6. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

I hope that one day, when we're bowing to our dystopian overlords, I can really hang on to the silver-lining of saying goodbye to scalpers.

7. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

Sad fact is that Ticketmaster through Livenation owns a ton of the world's venues. They're not just the middleman.

8. don't fret

I'd have to imagine this is also a safety play. Facial recognition in some airports like Heathrow is already a thing. It has to be their number one priority and this could help that.