Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thursday Band • Page 176

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

lol wow this song is basically Cross Out The Eyes with a poppier chorus

riotspray likes this.
  2. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Loved that song and never made the connection lol

3. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

The used is definitely the one that sounded closest to them but I’m not sure what song he means. Only other band I could think of like senses fail maybe?

4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Dont think those bands released records/went platinum in 2001-2002

5. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

I would guess he’s mixing up the years and is talking about Story Of The Year

6. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

I asked that question last week. No answers (pun intended).

If you look on Apple Music it’s correct on the Victory release but the Craft release is incorrect.

OotyPa likes this.
  7. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Taking Back Sunday maybe? Finch?

8. deflector

formerly pizzatime

gotta be the used. maybe "greener with the scenery." It rips off "understanding in a car crash" more though.

9. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Interesting. And when you google the spotify link and open from there, it’s correct order. Super weird, cus any time you access from the artist page it’s wrong.

10. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Looks like the search result takes you to the Victory release.

Attached Files:

11. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Yeah! I have it and was listening earlier today and then hit the Apple Music version later in the day and was TOTALLY thrown off by the track listing. Paris in flames is great but it’s a good middle album track, not the lead off!

12. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The Used fits in terms of timing but that record didn’t go platinum at the time. Unless he just meant they ripped off Thursday and got a platinum record out of it in general. But it reads like he means it went platinum at the time. Idk.

As for the A Change of Pace song, I looked it up and it came out in 2005 so it’s probably not that.

13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

My guess is Geoff was using the term “platinum” loosely because there is no obvious band that ripped off Cross Out the Eyes that immediately literally went platinum near that timeframe but if I had to guess who he was talking about it’d have to be The Used - who were wildly popular from 2002-2005, or Story of the Year.

Yellowcard2006 and beachdude like this.
  14. Jim

Trusted Supporter

This conversation led me to look it up and I am stunned to learn the used has 2 platinum albums and 1 gold.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I honestly never thought The Used sounded remotely similar to Thursday

the Change the Pace or whatever song is SUPER blatant though

16. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

i actually dont think that change of pace song sounds like them, but i do think the first used record is the closest to thursday as any of those post thursday post hardcore bands ever got

Anthony_ and beachdude like this.
  17. 5Stories

Regular

They didn't really publicise it but they appeared on a Mincecraft benefit festival thing last night - almost definitely a recording, no idea if it's original or where it's taken from but it sounds amazing. Here's a link to the start of their set

Yellowcard2006 and stars143 like this.
  18. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

y’all could just ask geoff on twitter lol it’s not like he’s shy about answering things

cshadows2887 likes this.
  19. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

someone in the tweet replies did ask him. He didn’t answer. I very much doubt he’d publicly put a band on blast like that. Especially 20 years later.

Cameron, beachdude and 5Stories like this.
  20. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Turnpike into Stay True (never heard this live before)

Awesome

Jim likes this.
  21. Bane

The spiciest meme

I'm a big fan of both Thursday and at least earlier The Used, especially that first album, and can't say I ever really got a "hey I'm getting a Thursday vibe from this, nice" while listening to The Used self titled

kyle, 5Stories, stars143 and 3 others like this.
  22. 5Stories

Regular

Hawthorne Heights - The Silence in Black and White (2004) could be a shout. Went platinum apparently. Another Victory band right on the coat tails of Thursday. Timeline is slightly off though but could be memory.

DrawYourMind likes this.
  23. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah I actually thought he could be referring to Ohio Is For Lovers

DaydreamNation and 5Stories like this.
  24. hawthorne heights dude even dresses a little like early geoff in the ohios is for lovers vid if memory serves haha