Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thursday Band • Page 154

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Jan 29, 2016.

1. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Definitely underrated. Geoff's singing took a leap forward, At This Velocity is a choice live cut, Autumn Leaves Revisited is one of their most epic closers, We Will Overcome has some of their most interesting composition/musicianship, and I can't believe Into the Blinding Light is the least played song from it on Spotify, because it's fierce.

2. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

A City by the Light Divided has always been my favorite Thursday album. I don't see that ever changing.

3. flask

Trusted Supporter

Remember when everyone thought the production was garbage because you couldn't hear the vocals?

Ken likes this.
  4. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Running From the Rain has such a huge chorus.

5. KyleK

I get a kick out of how my perception of time (and time between releases) has changed. I remember how long the wait seemed between War All the Time and A City... and now there are artists that haven't released anything in 5+ years and it feels like just yesterday. I guess I'm getting old.

6. socklord

Trusted

ACBTLD is their best album, my favorite, and actually perfect.

7. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I didn’t care for ACBTLD for a long time aside from a few songs, and WATT remains my favorite, but city definitely has my favorite production.

8. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I was one of those people and I still kind of wish the vocals were mixed differently hahah

With that said; I’ve definitely learned to appreciate the record a lot more over the years. Sugar in the Sacrament is incredible.

JettaPA, Leftandleaving and Dog Fish like this.
  9. Dog Fish

Mutt

Same. "Remember" and "thought"? Ha I still think the vocals are buried.

JettaPA and mattylikesfilms like this.
  10. flask

Trusted Supporter

They are but that doesn’t make the production garbage. It’s one of the reasons I love the record.

socklord likes this.
  11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

2006 me would disagree But 2019 me absolutely agrees. I just think it was ultimately a mistake that held the record back but what do I know?

12. KyleK

I also think we've probably heard a lot more records in the time since that make a similar choice to put the vocals further back in the mix. So I've at least become more accustomed to it, whether I think it's always a good choice is maybe another matter.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  13. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Common Existence needs more love.

14. flask

Trusted Supporter

MCR is playing festivals and we’re arguing about production on a Thursday record it’s 2007 all over again.

15. Dog Fish

Mutt

Now let's talk In Reverie...

16. abcdefg123

Regular

I know it's an unpopular opinion but this is my favorite Thursday record.

Ken likes this.
  17. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

mine too

Dirty Sanchez and abcdefg123 like this.
  18. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Thursday has like the most impressive growth in a catalog out of all the ppl and bands!

19. KyleK

Is there any better song when angry at someone than You Were the Cancer? [Well, maybe Cancer Bats' Sorceress.] Although admittedly I'm at a time in my life now where I don't need to find solace in that kind of music the way I used to.

All that to say, there are some really hard hitting songs on that album, and as everyone I'm sure anyone replying to this thread would say, they have such a great catalogue, with every album having a lot to offer.

20. socklord

Trusted

I will never forget the moment during the first time I ever saw them when the ambient, electronic intro to You Were The Cancer was playing and I realized what they were playing and ascended this life. This was at one of their new years shows in 2016 and I was really hoping they'd play it, but one of the people I was with said they'd only played the song live once or twice before and not to get my hopes up. Obviously, they played it, and what was funny is I realized they were playing it before he did. Regardless, it was truly a spectacular moment that I will never forget. One of the band's absolute best songs.

21. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Time's Arrow gets me every single time. Circuits of Fever too. The whole album flows so well together. Ending it with You Were the Cancer is an incredible way to finish.

22. socklord

Trusted

Time's Arrow is one of my least favorite songs on the record and probably in their discography tbh.

Still a pretty good song though

23. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Haha, it's one of my absolute favorites. Especially after hearing the "sketch" version on Kill the House Lights.

24. in a Thursday thread...

Ken likes this.