Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice Band • Page 266

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

This is not what i thought id be talking about today lol

2. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

But we don't know that the character is unfulfilled. There's nothing inherently wrong about having sex for pleasure, wearing revealing clothing, etc., if it's the conscious choice that the person is making.

The POV of the song is to project feelings of those as negative behavior onto the subject and to judge (and shame) them for those behaviors.

SpyKi and scottlechowicz like this.
  3. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

As a very non gun person, the song does not link the pistol metaphor to violence. A starters pistol triggers a response. The actual use of the term pistol was a link back to Cat Steven’s lyrics I believe. It’s a love song to his wife. Describing her as a hard headed woman does mean her head is actually hard. It’s means she is strong willed. These qualities are obviously qualities he loves.

Are you as equally upset by the line “true friends stab you in the front”, because that normalizes using sharp objects to inflict harm on others? I take it as a phrase/metaphor associated with Betrayal.

I think limiting the Language people can use as writers limits their ability to express themselves. His song themes aren’t pro violence or hate or pro guns, unless he’s specifically using that style of writing to mock a certain group and their beliefs.

Ellamamama likes this.
  4. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I did not make any judgment or commentary on the song "Pistol", it was just a general comment that I, personally, do not like gun metaphors in songs because they run the risk of normalizing, if not glorifying, the presence and use of guns.

coleslawed likes this.
  5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Read the lyrics:

And you dream of sharing your heart
    Instead you share your bed

And your heart beats empty and cold
    With all the tears you have shed

And you dream of baring your soul
    Instead you bare more skin
    And you wear dark glasses to keep
    Anyone from looking in”

Never does Dustin indicate the character is having sex for pleasure is wrong or dressing revealing because it suits their style choice is wrong.

This character, likely a daughter is looking for love and connection, but these sexual encounters lead to tears and hiding their spirit away. I really wish people would take a minute to try and interpret what his intentions as a lyricist may be. I think he hit the Mark big time on this song. It’s so sad and depressing.

6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

you can still listen to the song, it's ok.

swboyd, Cameron, phaynes12 and 3 others like this.
  7. Jbent

Trusted

.k bout to defend build this pool by Blink182 is actually pro union for construction laborers

8. Chad is definitely a Chad.

9. Also like read the Twitter thread before defending the song, Dustin clearly explains his intent, where it went wrong, and why the lyrics read wrong to even him now. It’s all like right there! It’s a good thread with some real dummies in it that he handles better than I ever would.

10. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

some of the dummies made their way to this thread

11. SeeTheLights

Trusted Prestigious

Ellamamama, Quercus, .K. and 4 others like this.
  12. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

coleslawed likes this.
  13. macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

Someone on a Thrice fan group on Facebook posted what was allegedly the new album title this morning and now the post is gone. Interesting... Could be something, could be nothing. Can't recall the title now.

SeeTheLights and scottlechowicz like this.
  14. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

15. Ellamamama

This is your life, are you who you want to be?

Hey you want this cookie I saw this morning? Nevermind I already ate it.

coleslawed likes this.
  16. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

You gonna tell us?

17. macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

According to comments it was removed by their label/PR team. I really wish I could remember it now. I don't know why I didn't think to screenshot it. I guess I didn't think it was real. For some reason, I keep recalling the word "East" being in it, but don't hold me to that. Sorry, didn't mean to rile anyone up here. I really wish I could recall what it was. My bad everyone. :shrug::-/

18. macbethfan May 13, 2021
    (Last edited: May 13, 2021)
    macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

Someone else just posted it again. Apparently, it's "Horizons - East"
    EDIT: It was deleted from the comments AGAIN and the guy reposted it as "Horizons: East"
    If mods are deleting that quickly, this is probably legit.

19. Ellamamama

This is your life, are you who you want to be?

Ha no worries man, it was just amusing reading the first half of your comment then being disappointed at the end :P

macbethfan and scottlechowicz like this.
  20. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I’m intrigued. Maybe that implies there is a second album forthcoming??

coleslawed likes this.
  21. SeeTheLights

Trusted Prestigious

I’m intrigued but kinda hope it’s not real so it doesn’t turn out to be another Beggars thing where things are leaking early

scottlechowicz likes this.
  22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

another four piece concept set Horizons: north south east west

r0m4n44, JBoch, coleslawed and 4 others like this.
  23. Jbent

Trusted

Horizons: a tribute to Vertical Horizon

ezmo311, coleslawed, Cameron and 5 others like this.
  24. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Isn’t that just like...one song?

WanderingSquall and Jbent like this.