Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice Band • Page 259

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Hold a Bud Lite is def the weak spot on Palms

neo506, Transient_Hymn, Kmil and 6 others like this.
  2. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

This is exactly where I’m at.

Hurricane, Blood, Window, Long Defeat, and Stay with me are great. Hell, stay with me was the processional song at my wedding.

But I find the rest to be mediocre.

Kmil and RyanPm40 like this.
  3. Tomozaurus

Regular

any one of the 4 Deeper Wells songs in its place would have made the album damn near perfect for me.

Kmil, ezmo311 and RyanPm40 like this.
  4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

My favourite 3 Thrice records are:
    Beggars (2009)
    Vheissu (2005)
    TBEITBN (2016)

But some of my favourite songs by the band are on other records or EP’s. There’s a wealth of great Thrice tracks.

5. Kmil

Trusted

So we should expect something new this year right? If I remember correctly they were recording a new album or maybe it was just some new songs?

6. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Hope so

7. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I got pinged by this thread enough recently that it reminded me to go listen to Palms for the first time. Heres my totally unsolicited thoughts track by track.

1. wow this is cheesy. Im guessing this will be the only track in this style here.

2. this sounds like one of those Hold Fast Hope and Earth Will Shake type riff songs. didnt get much out of this.

3. this is some Imagine Dragons vibes

4. loved this track. instrumentation is inventive lines and great tones.

5. he sure likes to talk about darkness and blood alot - and title songs about it too now that I think about it

6. cool track

7. pretty cool track. whys the production so bad on just this one though.

8. why did they wait until last album to write some songs that sound like this? this style isnt even popular any more for like years now. do they think theyre gonna gain fans with this or do they just legitimately like music that sounds like this? that would be like finding out your pretty cool friend secretly likes 2 And A Half Men or something.

9. like this one a bit too. same compliments from me from track 4. more blood apparently.

10. doesnt do a whole lot for me.

8. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Beyond the Pines is great. It gives me chills. Dustin voice sounds great and there’s a haunting music and lyrics.

It does a a whole lot for me.

I’m glad they released Deeper Wells to complete the Palms era. I like this record more with 14 songs than 10.

RuckerPark and ezmo311 like this.
  9. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Yep, tracks 4 and 9 are the best

Ken likes this.
  10. Kmil

Trusted

I mean for real Palms is their best album since Beggars, but I see that's not a popular opinion on here.

Chcurry182, Tomozaurus and Kyle Max like this.
  11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

TBE and Palms feel closely related to me which is totally fine. They worked with Palmquist on both records so that could be why. I would definitely no object to him working with them on the next record whenever they got to record (if it’s not entirely self produced due to world realities).

12. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I agree with this

13. jols

Trusted Prestigious

(gif reply implies it's Thrice)

theagentcoma, Kmil, .K. and 1 other person like this.
  14. stars143

Trusted

That's a lot of tracks for a podcast edit.

jols likes this.
  15. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

What the fuck IS this?

Your Milkshake and theagentcoma like this.
  16. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Clearly it’s a track by track review

Your Milkshake and theagentcoma like this.
  17. Elder Lightning

[​IMG]

18. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Your Milkshake likes this.
  19. Elder Lightning

DrawYourMind likes this.
  20. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

21. Elder Lightning

Your Milkshake likes this.
  22. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I can’t wait for us to have new music to rave about (or disagree about I guess). Main focus “new music”.

I haven’t listened to Dustin’s Carry The Fire Podcast except when Kevin Devine and David from Gang of Youths was on, so I’m not sure if he talks about writing or Thrice stuff on it.

23. stonecoldnimrod

roamer. wanderer. nomad. vagabond.

i didn't connect to palms at first when it was released. but with 2020 being as shit as it was, it hit me where i needed to feel it. to be honest, i'd add the entire deeper wells ep and cut hold up a light and it would be near perfection.

Tomozaurus and .K. like this.
  24. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I don’t mind Hold Up A Light as much as most people. It’s a little safe, but I appreciate them having a few anthematic styled songs between Palms and Deeper Wells.

As a 14 track album (or 12-13) it’s a much stronger record than as a 10 song album. I also wonder how they chose to keep those 4 songs back for an EP (although out of the 14 Deeper Wells would have been one of those songs I would have left for a bside if any).

25. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Palms is their weakest album. It's still a good album, though.

DrawYourMind likes this.