Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice Band • Page 256

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 9, 2016.

2. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Paper Tiger allll daaayyyy

waking season likes this.
  3. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Spinning my vinyl now

I still think melting point is my favorite song

Quercus, waking season and momo32t like this.
  4. momo32t

Trusted

Spinning myself. Still think Silhouette is my favorite but there are a few close seconds.

waking season and johnnyferris like this.
  5. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

fine album but nowhere near my favorite of theirs

RyanPm40 likes this.
  6. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Yeah I think it's one of their weaker albums, but the title track will always have a special place in my heart

7. ryan murphy

Regular Supporter

Cold cash is what got me into the band. To this day my favorite band of all time.

8. scottlechowicz Jul 22, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 22, 2020)
    scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

One of those records where I vividly remember just about everything related to its release. It was that important to me.

Elder Lightning and Jason Tate like this.
  9. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

probably the first album that got me into 'heavy' music

Tomozaurus and theagentcoma like this.
  10. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

This album was the bridge that carried me over to heavier music

swboyd, Tomozaurus and waking season like this.
  11. ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

I got into them in the fall of 2003, just a little late. I wish I had found out about them earlier. I love them.

12. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

who really wrote the first emo song about a car crash

13. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

I saw Coheed the week this album came out, and they played it between sets. I was absolutely blown away. Had to ask a stranger who the band was, and I've been a fan ever since.

ramomcferno likes this.
  14. DeRRek

Trusted

Incredible album. How is this 17 years old?!

15. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Funny that today’s the anniversary of this album’s release, & yesterday (according to Facebook) was the anniversary of that infamous Vagrant Records Beggars leak.

16. Tim

I think Artist is my second favorite after Beggars (third if I cheat & include Dustin Kensrue’s Carry the Fire). What a dope album from that scene & era, which I didn’t find until fall ‘07 but which ended up meaning a lot to me at the time.

Would love a remastered version of the album someday, or maybe even some of the songs re-recorded.

RyanPm40 and ChrisCantWrite like this.
  17. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Love Arist so much. Has Dustin changed his tune on his pre-Vheissu work? I remember him saying in an interview that he couldn't stand the sound of himself on their earlier albums. I guess as an artist I'd understand...I just hope he realizes the impact it's had.

waking season likes this.
  18. waking season Jul 22, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 22, 2020)
    waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I’ll always remember the summer I got into this record. It was right after 8th grade in 2006 and changed my taste in music for good. Our middle school jazz band drummer always played Silhouette during breaks and he convinced me to check Thrice out after having heard them on a Madden soundtrack a few years before. Thrice quickly became my favorite band until they were slightly overtaken by Coheed a few years later. Now they’re right up there with Caspian for me. The number of bands I’ve gotten into through Thrice/Riley (O’Brother, Caspian, Moving Mountains, Holy Fawn, Cloudkicker, and Kowloon Walled City to name a few) as well as getting into Thrice in general as a result of Artist makes this a really important album to me. Still one of my favorite albums to play front to back on guitar too. The Bruins also used to play Silhouette before power plays so I’ve got a lot of good memories with that song though I think Under a Killing Moon and Hoods on Peregrine are my favorites.

Cameron and theagentcoma like this.
  19. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Same here. I liked a lot of local post-hardcore/metalcore bands (Vanna, Our Last Night, Armor for the Broken) but it was really Thrice, Underoath, and Isis that fully got me into heavier stuff.

20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i used to rank artist as middle of the pack in their discog but lately id probably put it right near the top if not at the top depending on my mood. the extremely metalcore riffs make me very happy and put me in a great, head banging mood. and i know every word to every song and can just go wild when i toss it on. i love it. very liberating experience to listen to that record these days.

21. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

It’s definitely top 3 for me, it never gets old

22. theagentcoma

Good to see you around these parts

23. Tomozaurus

Regular

I felt these really hard. Big same.

waking season and theagentcoma like this.
  24. Tim

I got into Artist right at the perfect time at the tail end of my peak Solid State, Facedown Records (mostly Christian) metalcore fandom. That was the same year my favorite from that scene, Haste the Day, put out Pressure the Hinges, which is probably overall my favorite album of theirs.

Over the course of a year, I went from that Haste the Day album, to The Artist in the Ambulance, to The Devil & God are Raging Inside Me. Then, a year later, I was on Absolute Punk, & was obsessed with Boxer & For Emma, Forever Ago. (And, of course, Beggars.)

That felt like such a gradual evolution at the time. Wild to think back on how relatively short a period of time it was, especially compared to how many years have passed since then. (And now a large percentage of my music consumption would fall under “pop,” lol, though that was also the era I got into Taylor Swift.)

Of course that’s all just speaking musically. Artist was also perfect timing as far as my faith journey. And, very ahead of schedule as far as my political journey, lol. Such a pivotal album for me.

awakeohsleeper and theagentcoma like this.
  25. theagentcoma

Damn looks like I'm listening to Haste the Day today

Tim, swboyd and ramomcferno like this.