Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice Band • Page 249

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Well it’s also not a good album

2. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Plus it’s a 6 which for p4k is good. They evolved their sound so much more after their first two albums.

3. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I will always have a soft spot for The Illusion of Safety

riotspray and Jbent like this.
  4. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

I mean, it's not a perfect album, but the comparison to RuPaul is pretty odd. I can't imagine this would get past their editorial staff these days.

Tomozaurus likes this.
  5. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah I take it back. Started reading it, and it’s reallll bad

KidLightning and Tomozaurus like this.
  6. okayibelieveyou

Tam Rogic CSC Prestigious

Saw them tonight for first time in nearly 10years, sound so good.

riotspray and scottlechowicz like this.
  7. Jbent

Trusted

Illusion of Safety is pretty solid for what it is and when it came out, better in hindsight knowing what type of band they would eventually become.

riotspray likes this.
  8. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah Illusion of Safety is fine. Identity Crisis on the other hand...

9. DesolateEarth

Birb

Had this discussion in another thread just recently but pitchfork had alot of embarrassingly bad takes on scene and mainstream music in the 2000s.

10. JM95

Trusted

I've listened to The Long Defeat at least eight times today. Forgot how much I love that song.

11. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I still really enjoy Illusion of Safety.

P4k is a garbage website now and then.

Joe4th likes this.
  12. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

This site is full of people that still listen to Blink in 2019, yet they think the first couple Thrice records are bad. okay.

RyanPm40, Nate_Johnson, Jbent and 3 others like this.
  13. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

this is a spicy take i can get behind always and forever. Identity Crisis is a great record from a bunch of kids in their early 20s in 2001. you could probably make the argument to me that Illusion of Safety is one of the best metalcore records ever depending on how loose you are with your genre definitions.

shit, we're basically talking about 2 different bands. 2002 riff-city core Thrice vs. what might become of 2020 Thrice if they put out a new album next year.

riotspray likes this.
  14. riotspray Oct 30, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 30, 2019)
    riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I love every record they've made, but the people that throw shade at the early albums and then listen to bands like Trash Boat can fuck right off.

no shade to Trash Boat. fine band.

15. JM95

Trusted

Massive laugh.

Ken and riotspray like this.
  16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Blink stinks

17. anonimito

Abelian Supporter

[​IMG]

18. riotspray Oct 31, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 31, 2019)
    riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Ready for another hot take...

As happy as I am to have a Vheissu tour, I would prefer an Illusion of Safety or Identity Crisis one. I've been following the band since right around when Artist dropped, so I've heard most of the songs from Vheissu live. But they rarely play stuff from the first two records anymore, and when they do, it's typically just Deadbolt.

swboyd likes this.
  19. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

not that anyone cares, but i decided this morning that i'm going to listen through Thrice's entire current discography. they're a band i've only heard probably 2 1/2 albums from and only one i know really well (Artist) and i feel like i should change that. may post my super generic internet thoughts on each album as i go through them, we'll see. at the very least i might put together a top 10 or 15 favorite songs once all is said and done.

20. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I am just about to finish a discography run of them. I just need to finish the Deeper Wells Ep. enjoy it!

theagentcoma likes this.
  21. SeeTheLights

Trusted Prestigious

This is more of a general question since I don’t think there is a patreon thread on the website, but I want to hear the patreon only episodes for dustins podcast. I was just wondering for people that have done patreon support, is it a douche/bad look to cancel it after listening to those episodes?

riotspray likes this.
  22. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Have there already been patron only eps? I should get in on that

23. SeeTheLights

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah there has been a few lyric breakdown ones and a new one just released with Teppei

24. marsupial jones

THRICE RANKINGS ALERT

ok, trying not to overthink this, which is usually what happens with rating things as much as i enjoy rating things, and i have to admit that no list is ever going to be perfect for me but below is what i've come to regarding Thrice after listening to their discography this week. as a reminder, i've only listened to Artist, Vheissu and Beggars before (and some other songs here and there) but not consistently (aside from Artist a lot in high school, well over a decade ago).

***each album was listened to in full at least 3 times, just an FYI***

ALBUMS (Favorite to Least)

Vheissu
    Beggars
    The Alchemy Index Vols. III & IV - Air & Earth
    To Be Everywhere is to Be Nowhere
    The Artist in the Ambulance
    Palms
    The Alchemy Index Vols. I & II - Fire & Water
    Major/Minor
    The Illusion of Safety
    Identity Crisis

TOP TEN FAVORITE SONGS (in order no less! (for now))

"Under a Killing Moon"
    "A Branch in the River"
    "Music Box"
    "Wood and Wire"
    "The Long Defeat"
    "Whistleblower"
    "In Exile"
    "The Arsonist"
    "A Song for Milly Michaelson"
    "Of Dust and Nations"

CLOSING TRACKS (Favorite to Least - Excludes The Alchemy Index because i felt like they could have put Water before Fire or Earth before Air and they're more EP's than a full cohesive album so it didn't feel right to rank)

"Don't Tell and We Won't Ask"
    "Red Sky"
    "Beyond the Pines"
    "Beggars"
    "Disarmed"
    "Salt and Shadow"
    "The Beltsville Crucible"
    "T&C"

OPENERS (Favorite to Least - Excludes The Alchemy Index - same reason as closing tracks)

"Image of the Invisible"
    "All the World is Mad"
    "Hurricane"
    "Cold Cash and Colder Hearts"
    "Only Us"
    "Kill Me Quickly"
    "Yellow Belly"
    "Identity Crisis"

25. marsupial jones

Overall impressions:

Really solid band with a lot of great / strong tracks. Can honestly say I enjoyed each album - although the first two are definitely not my style in 2019 and I can’t see myself revisiting them, they aren’t awful. M/M was a disappointment though. That album just feels so lacking to me, and following Beggars? Oof. Tough one there. I just feel that everything they did / tried on M/M they’ve done better elsewhere.

lyrically I think I thought they were more political than they actually are (because of Artist and Vheissu) which was a nice surprise because I don’t really connect with political lyrics / bands so I was happy to find I wasn’t dealing with a Rise Against type political lyrically charged band all the time.