Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice Band • Page 247

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

394C9969-9139-42CC-9D66-2F36B250BEE1.jpeg

I guess my biggest wishes have come true.

2. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

What website is that

3. Kevin360

Cameron and Lucas27 like this.
  4. airik625

Ah. I haven’t had Facebook in years so I didn’t recognize the layout, but figured that’s probably what it was.

5. Kevin360

I mainly only have a Facebook because I run some pages through my job. If I could delete everything on social media, I would, but just having it for work draws me to use it. Haha.

6. Lucas27

Trusted

coleslawed and Kevin360 like this.
  7. stonecoldnimrod

roamer. wanderer. nomad. vagabond.

about that: i went to setlist.fm the day before the show and searched the playlists for both, since i was genuinely interested in both (have seen lc once and atr twice), and after peeking at their setlists, i passed on that show. on the upside, i got free tickets to see fozzy tomorrow!

riotspray likes this.
  8. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I love ATR's old material and don't even really have a problem their new stuff. I just saw them live about a year ago and it was horrid. Backing tracks to the point where you'd hear guitars and vocals but no one is playing or Phil stopped singing and the note is still being held out. It was just bad. I'd seen them years ago and they were great but they've long past their prime.

9. Kevin360

I took that facebook screen cap at 11:11.

I made a wish pun.

I'm so clever.

teebs41 likes this.
  10. airik625

The deluxe edition of Vheissu on vinyl is finally on the way after like a 9 month preorder after all the delays.

anonimito and scottlechowicz like this.
  11. DesolateEarth

Birb

Finally got mine!
    20190928_211852.jpg

12. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Is Vheissu the record you’re showing somebody if they are listening to Thrice for the first time?

That’s what I went with for my friend last night

coleslawed and musicfan9795 like this.
  13. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

Mine also finally arrived on Friday. Vinyl delays are becoming more commonplace, but this takes the cake.

14. DesolateEarth

Birb

I would start with TAITA myself, then show them the natural progression through Vheissu and The Alchemy Index.

musicfan9795 likes this.
  15. airik625

Really just depends on what kind of music that friend is in to. If they like harder rock, I think you did right. Though you could get a better feel of their range with TAITA. Some super catchy songs for radio people.

coleslawed likes this.
  16. johnnyferris

He has a pretty wide taste. We were at a Vein show at the time of discussing this, so I’m sure he’d be into the earlier material. He just never got into Thrice and wanted me to give him one album to listen that would best showcase the band and then my personal favorite.

17. Tomozaurus

Regular

I think you made the right choice. V does a much better job of showing someone what they're in for than Artist imo.
    Not that I don't love Artist, that album introduced me to the band, but they've evolved beyond it now.

johnnyferris likes this.
  18. momo32t

Trusted

My fiance's father (who has hearing issues) asked me for the first time what kind of music I like and what artists I like. I told him Thrice is my favorite band, and he proceeded to tell his Google Home to play "Thrice".

I was so worried that Pandora would play something aggressive like Hold Fast Hope, but thankfully landed on Black Honey. He still did not like it, but it could've been a whole lot worse.

KidLightning, Cameron and kupe like this.
  19. johnnyferris

I told him Alchemy Index was my personal favorite. I’m more excited to hear his thoughts on that if I’m being honest.

Tomozaurus likes this.
  20. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

A few years ago my in-laws were here for the holidays and I put on Dustin's Christmas album. My FIL was into it and liked his voice, so I put on Please Come Home after that and then moved on to some Thrice, but he wasn't into that as much. Some of the bluesy Beggars/Earth stuff he could get into, but nothing that got heavy.

Tomozaurus, beachdude and momo32t like this.
  21. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I usually show people Beggars/Air/Earth/Water unless they’re into heavier stuff.

22. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah, that's basically my dad nowadays lol. He was a huge prog rock & hard rock fan growing up, and got me into Zeppelin, Rush and a ton of other iconic bands... but he's not into most modern heavier music. He generally gets turned off by screamed vocals of any kind, so I usually know the types of modern rock bands I can show him that he might be able to get into.

awakeohsleeper and KidLightning like this.
  23. wood&wire

just one of those ghosts

When I was just getting into Thrice I picked up Air/Earth, and my Mom (surprisingly) said that she liked it. So, without really understanding the concept of the Alchemy Index yet, I bought her Fire/Water for Christmas. I'll never forget when she put the Fire CD on with my whole family in the car for the first time and Firebreather kicked on. Hahahaaaa oh man everyone was bewildered

24. Kevin360

Sweet.
    Beautiful.
    Wholesome.

wood&wire likes this.
  25. Tomozaurus

Regular

Oh man that's crazy I have a pretty similar story. Over 10 years ago I was listening to Air/Earth, and mum heard it and asked if I'd put it on her MP3 player. I put Water, Air, Earth and Fire sans the 3 songs with harsh vocals on there for her. Last year I mentioned in passing that I was excited for Palms and she told me she still has that MP3 player* and TAI is pretty much the only thing on there she still listens to.

*I've tried to get her to use Spotify but she just doesn't get it.

wood&wire and RJ Knorr like this.