Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice Band • Page 227

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

M/m was a 10/10 for me when it came out, but it has gone down in my ranking after a while. I still love or though.

2. Yeah, M/m was also a 10/10 out of the gates for me, meanwhile I still love it more and more as time goes on. Beggars actually started out as a 7/10 for me and very slowly and gradually wound up hitting a 10/10 as well. I'll never forget writing a 3.5 out of 5 star review of the album for my school newspaper, only to decide last minute to bump it up to 4 stars before it was published. Good times.

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  3. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Great write up

I don’t agree and have tried hard to get into Mm but I love the thought you put into why you find it good/interesting/moving.

Gonna listen tmrw and give it another whirl

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  4. Thanks for reading! I hope you'll see some of my observations during your listen :)

teebs41 likes this.
  5. Lucas27

Trusted

Promises is a jam and a half.

Chase Tremaine and teebs41 like this.
  6. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Incredible write up about an album I love. I’ll never understand the Hate for it.

I think the Red Bull sessions for this album proves that they really captured a live sound on the actual album. They don’t sound that far off from one another.

coleslawed and Chase Tremaine like this.
  7. DesolateEarth

Birb

the first three songs on M/M are jams for sure. After that it becomes kind hit or miss for me with some really good songs (Call It In The Air, Blur) and others that I don't care for as much (Cataracts has some good guitar parts but otherwise falls kinda flat for me) Overall I return to it from time to time, but not as much as several other Thrice albums.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  8. DesolateEarth

Birb

Also If i was to give each release a rating based on how much i like them:
    Vheissu: 10/10
    Fire/Water: 9/10
    TAITA: 9/10
    TBEITBN: 8.5/10
    Palms: 8/10
    Beggars: 8/10 (it's finally growing on me more)
    IOS: 7.5/10
    M/M: 7/10
    Air/Earth: 4.5/10 (mainly because I really dislike Earth)
    IC: 3/10 (and that is generous haha.)

9. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Well this got me wanting to revisit M/M tonight. Guess I'll turn Palms off for a minute..

10. Tomozaurus

Regular

oh I like this idea, better than a normal ranking anyway.
    I've gone the unnecessary extra mile with this to get really precise rankings, so went through every album and assigned a number to each track like this: dislike or indifference = 0, like = 0.5, love = 1, then added these together and divided by the album's track number for the final score. "Seneca" from TBEITBN was not counted as a song.

TBEITBN: 8.5/10
    Vheissu: 8/10
    Palms: 8/10
    Beggars: 8/10
    Fire/Water: 7.5/10
    Artist: 7.5/10
    Illusion: 6/10
    Major/Minor: 5/10
    Air/Earth: 5/10
    IC: 5/10

No wonder I have so much trouble deciding a ranking out of the top 4 here, they are almost all the same!

11. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Take off words in the water and call it in the air and M/m would be perfect for me.

Listen Through me was always one of my favorites, it baffles me to hear the hate. I get the preachy lyrics argument. But the guitars bass and drums are so heavy and beefy in the chorus. The chorus melody has a great 90’s feel- my biggest turn on for M/m is the 90’s influences.

Chase Tremaine and teebs41 like this.
  12. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Words in the Water is awesome. The remix is also really cool.

Davjs, Tomozaurus and dead_fm like this.
  13. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Are you kidding me???

Lol Words is the best song on M/M

14. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

15. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Wait how could you not like words in the water, that’s a top tier thrice song

Greg, Tomozaurus, dead_fm and 4 others like this.
  16. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Lots of ppl hate it. I've always been baffled by that.

Tomozaurus and Chase Tremaine like this.
  17. It's the closer right? Never listened to it more than four times.

18. Thank you! And yeah, those sessions are so good

teebs41 likes this.
  19. Words in the Water? No, it's track 8 of 11

20. Oops, I should give M/M a fair listen with fresh ears then.

21. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Not only has Thrice given me an incredibly deep discography, they’ve also introduced me to some of my favorite bands. I’ve gotten into Caspian, Russian Circles, O’Brother, Moving Mountains, Kowloon Walled City, and now Holy Fawn through them. I fucking love this band.

22. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I feel like I should give mm another try. The only songs I remember off of it are yellow belly, which I don’t care for, and anthology, which is cool. I do distinctly remember being extremely bored by almost all of it tho

teebs41 likes this.
  23. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I stand by my opinion that Words in the Water is one of their best songs

theagentcoma, Greg, dead_fm and 3 others like this.
  24. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

Listened to Major/Minor this morning for the first time in a couple of year.

It holds up. I still absolutely adore it.

coleslawed, Davjs, dead_fm and 2 others like this.
  25. Whoop whoop!!

teebs41 likes this.