Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice - To Be Everywhere Is To Be Nowhere (May 27, 2016) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I don't know I think Dustin got quite a bit more in the nose with it in M/m. I myself am Christian but even M/m was a bit much for me. Listen Through Me is so overt it's kind of cringed, especially when you factor in that Ed and Riley aren't Christian. Dustin has even said he feels bad about bein so on the nose.

I would say Beggars and Vheissu covered it in allegory better than M/m with the exceptions of Music Box and Like Moths to Flame.

2. dead_fm

Regular

super long time lurker, first post. I first saw Thrice on tour with Face to Face after TIOS was released and fell in love. There isn't a release that I don't love as each one is like a placeholder for parts of my life. I'm so incredibly stoked for this record...

3. Tyler

Regular Supporter

I remember that tour! Face to Face fans did not like Thrice.

fenway89 likes this.
  4. Deathco_019

Drummer

I mean, Major/Minor had a ton of modern rock radio to it too, and maybe even Beggars too so we'll have to wait and see.

5. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

As someone who doesn't really subscribe to any religious belief, I still quite enjoy Dustins struggle with faith since it's quite relatable (similar to Aaron Weiss and Jesse Lacey). It's never really felt too distracting to me personally.

Still haven't listened to the new song. I can wait

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  6. Connor

I still straight up don't understand the radio rock stuff that's getting thrown around.... Oh well I guess!

7. Connor

I don't know how much struggling Dustin does with his faith. He is pretty devout. I mean he was a worship leader at a church before leaving it due to corruption in the higher ranks. But he has a very very firm belief in God and Christianity as whole.

airik625 likes this.
  8. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I meant moreso his struggle with having faith and the trials that come with that. Yeah these days he definitely is a firm believer, but he still sounds like he struggles in his daily life with how his faith interacts with other facets of his life, which I find really interesting.

coleslawed and fenway89 like this.
  9. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Yeah, his talk about his faith doesn't bother me, I guess I just can't believe I never realized it was so blatant. I think some of it can come across as preachy ("Blinded", "Call it in the Air", "Words in the Water", "Listen through Me" seem especially explicit off the top of my head), whereas some of the older songs are less straightforward or more generally talking about the Christian life and the struggles/trials associated with that.

fenway89 likes this.
  10. Does rock radio even still exist?

11. josephcissell

Regular

^Not really. At least not anywhere near where I live (the south). It’s nothing but pop and country down here, with the occasional alternative station.

12. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

alt rock only radio definitely still exists and is prominent af strangely enough

13. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I remember skimming past the radio rock station a few years ago and being amused that it'd play both Korn and Mumford & Sons.

FTank and josephcissell like this.
  14. Beholdtheriver

Regular

I'm a believer myself so I really love Dustin's take on things - it's enlightening to me. He puts words and phrases to things that I can really relate with. I also think that what he does lyrically works for people who don't ascribe to Christianity as well simply because the Bible (like Greek Mythology) is full of some really great stories and themes

15. People have been using the term radio tock to describe Thrice since TAITA. I think it's ok to just say they make rock music that could maybe be on some radio stations. I dunno why that's seen as a slight tbh.

16. Beholdtheriver

Regular

The Great Exchange on Beggars is pretty overt as well

17. chhholly123

I'm a Christian too, so I get it. Doesn't bother me in the slightest—M/m is my favorite Thrice album. I guess I was just surprised that I never noticed how out there he was with his lyrics. Like I have heard worship albums that are less Christian haha.

18. Connor

I guess why I see it as a slight is that when I think of "radio rock" I think of Staind and Nickleback or Creed. I'm that context i feel like maybe it's an insult, and why I wouldn't understand it because Thrice sounds nothing like those two. But when you think of it as just a rock band that could be in the radio.. Like Foo Fighters than I see nothing wrong with it. I have just seen people saying it sounds like Staind and that pisses me off haha

Well expect less overt Christian themes in this. I think since he now has The Modern Post we will get a lot less of it on regular Thrice. Which I'm totally down with. I like more angry political Thrice.

19. chhholly123

That's completely ok with me too! "Blood on the Sand" was a welcome surprise.

20. CheapPop

Regular

I dont really get the radio rock thing from the single either. Just because something is straightforward doesn't mean a band is pushing for radio. They just wanted to make a hard rock song, and they pulled it off.

Can't wait to listen to this thing all the way through.

21. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

The Great Exchange is my favorite Thrice song.

I don't think we will see as much overt Christian influence now that Dustin has a couple artistic avenues to express it outside of Thrice. He's been active with his Modern Post moniker amidst all of these Thrice happenings.

22. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

23. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

Sounds like another great song in the back there. Gonna take a wild guess that thats The Long Defeat

24. Yeah, his only struggling went on during the TAITA days

fenway89 likes this.