Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice - Palms (September 14, 2018) Album • Page 76

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by teebs41, Jul 9, 2018.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

So for whatever reason, Alchemy Index was probably the Thrice release I returned to the least often out of their stuff from Vheissu onwards, I guess because I felt that even though I love it, I generally prefer listening to “full albums” instead of essentially 4 EPs? In any case, I’m listening for the first time in a while after the comparisons with “Only Us”, and I’ve made a huge mistake not giving this way more time before. This may be my favorite Thrice project.

2. kupe

Regular

Fire and Water might just be my favorite Thrice record

beachdude42 likes this.
  3. dlemert

Trusted

On my first listen I also thought the first time we hear the chorus it was actually just an extension of the verse, and was a bit disappointed when the buildup stops abruptly and it goes back into the next verse. But then the 2nd chorus comes around and they really flesh it out and make it huge; it's amazing. The final chorus is absolutely massive, it sounds like something a band like Caspian will do where they have repeated motifs throughout a song and the last version of it just goes through the ceiling.

This song A+

4. Mike J

We talk too much / We talk in circles

God, I love 'Sea Change.'

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  5. jonnyredwood

Ursus Veritas

Curious as I've seen this opinion more and more these days: Why so many fans who love Beggars above all other Thrice albums? I have been a fan since 2002-03 and IOS through Vheissu are easily the top tier albums for me. Is it that newer fans are all about Beggars and are having trouble appreciating just how amazing thosee three earlier albums are? Genuinely interested in this trend.

6. scottlechowicz Aug 16, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 16, 2018)
    scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I got into the band between IC and IOS, and so those records hold a special place in my heart. I return to IOS a lot.

But i don’t think there is any real comparison between those records, or Artist, and Beggars.

Beggars is better in every respect. Better songwriting. Better lyrics. Better production. It’s simply a better, more mature, band, making a better, more mature, record.

I can see liking the earlier records more if that genre of music especially appeals to you. Or if some other subjective factor places those records higher for you. But I can’t imagine an objective analysis that somehow rates IOS or Artist above Beggars.

To me, the apex of Thrice is clearly Vheissu and Beggars. And I think the general critical consensus would agree.

7. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

I don't think you'll find many people who will disagree about IOS, TAITA, and Vheissu being "top tier". But those albums are all very much a product of the same scene, genre, era - whatever.

Once you move past Vheissu, there's a bit more variety to pick from, stylistically and thematically speaking. You get the methodical, almost scientific approach to constructing songs from TAE. Then there's that bluesy aspect of Beggars. TBEITBN sticks out to me for being as close to overtly political as Thrice may ever be.

And I also think - feel free to disagree - that most Thrice fans were consuming those earlier albums at around the same points of our lives. Some of those themes Dustin was talking about were less concrete and more philosophical as a whole....and we all wanted to headbang.

The later albums probably resonate with different people in different ways because they all have their own inidividual identities, and as we're all getting older some of those things appeal to us more than others.

Or that could all be complete BS because I'm sort of spitballing here waiting to get out of work. Take it as you will. ha.

Quercus, beachdude42 and jonnyredwood like this.
  8. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Beggars also has a warmth to it that no other Thrice record has.

Tomozaurus and Anthony Brooks like this.
  9. exanctile

Fight the long defeat.

Respectfully, this is subjective. I (and many other Thrice fans) would probably concede that their early records are great and often brilliant, but Beggars is an album that could only have been made by a veteran band. Its musical confidence and prowess, along with Dustin's (best) lyrical work, make it the favorite for lots of people, myself included. To me, that record represents the culmination of everything the band learned on its previous records, distilled into ten excellent tracks. None of their other records show the same quality throughout, despite some great peaks.

10. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Huh. That’s a connection I don’t think I’ve ever made.

I’m curious what about the record specifically that you find warm?

waking season likes this.
  11. rxbandit89

I don't know why I agree with this because I can't explain it, but I totally agree with this.

waking season likes this.
  12. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Mainly Circles/Wood and Wire/The Great Exchange. Warmth might not have been the right word but there’s a sound on those three songs that is oddly comforting and unlike anything else in their catalogue.

13. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Your avatar will always be the album art for Beggars in my mind.

I feel so damn strongly about this haha. I will forever curse the leak for forcing them to rush out the record and forego the chance to use that art.

14. rxbandit89

I think it has quite a bit to do with the fact the album was definitely an album they jammed out in a garage. It was as far from the calculated songwriting process of TAE as it could be. Everything just sounds very intimate and organic.

15. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Fair enough. I’ve always viewed those songs as dreamy, or ethereal, in a way that they had only ever explored in AI. Kinda like Lost Continent or As the Crow Flies.

16. rxbandit89

I would like to formally file a motion to henceforth refer to Beggars as the "warmly dreamy" Thrice album.

beachdude42 and waking season like this.
  17. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

But one of the things i love about Beggars is how angry it is, too!

When I think of Beggars, I think of the title track. And At the last. And All the world is mad.

beachdude42 and waking season like this.
  18. jonnyredwood

Ursus Veritas

Interesting thoughts, I appreciate the replies.
    First off, I think TAITA is faaar more political than TBEITBN.
    While I think Beggars is a fine album, I'd say I probably only really enjoy half of it. In Exile is one of their worst songs. (Subjective POV, yikes)
    After Vheissu, the band did mature, yes, but I feel they've gotten too stuck in boring familiar pop song structures. Dustin's lyrics have also gotten less interesting, relative to the early days. I love how verbose he was and how he was super into all these books and authors and always talked about them. I remember studying the lyrics and applying meaning from what was happening in the music to what the lyrics were discussing. I never felt that way about their music/lyrics after Vheissu.
    Kind of interesting that they talk about recording during TAITA or Vheissu or TAI as the label needed hits from them and they were reluctant to create them for the sake of having singles to sell. Flash forward to today, it sounds as if they are very conscious of making radio-friendly songs, perhaps to gain a wider audience.

SmashRipsaw, Davjs and exanctile like this.
  19. rxbandit89

Ahem, I would would like to rescind my previous motion and file a NEW motion to henceforth formally refer to Beggars as the Thrice album that "warmly dreams about being angry".

I think that's the short answer to @jonnyredwood's question. It's warm and dreamy and angry.

20. rxbandit89

To come back to this, though, I don't know if I get a sense of "anger" on Beggars. Those songs just have an intense delivery because the subject matter is so philosophically weighty. It's thematically heavy. At the Last is about being on your deathbed, as is Wood and Wire. Beggars is about the humility of your place in the universe. All the World is Mad is about hopelessness. Hell, We Move Like Swingsets, which about a toxic relationship, is maybe the lightest subject matter on the album. It's less anger and more passion and intensity to me.

Back to what I was saying earlier, these songs all have concrete interpretations to them.

TAITA and IOS definitely have a few, but they are very metaphorical on the whole. I think that's why I like Beggars so much - it's intellectually heavy and also specific.

Man, see now I have to go listen to this one again. That's why it's a favorite.

21. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

I agree. I really think the lyrics are much more straight-forward, even generic at times on recent albums. The songs are also less interesting structurally. They're still one of my favorite bands, but their most recent stuff does seem less creatively inspired.

jonnyredwood likes this.
  22. InExile

Regular

lol @ In Exile being the worst Thrice song.

23. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I could see how you might take that one personally.

24. jonnyredwood

Ursus Veritas

Poll time: What do you think is the best Thrice album?
    Put aside your feelings for your favorite album. Please vote for what you think is objectively the BEST Thrice album.
    Vote here: What's the best Thrice album

25. Davjs

Trusted

I was for sure it was Vheissu until I saw all four TAIs were lumped together as one. That makes it hard....

jonnyredwood likes this.