Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thrice - Palms (September 14, 2018) Album • Page 376

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by teebs41, Jul 9, 2018.

1. socklord

Trusted

Riley's drumming, in general, is great, but I absolutely love his work on Beggars. The Great Exchange is a perfect example. Also very into his work on All The World Is Mad, Circles, and Wood And Wire.

2. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

And like Dog said earlier, the outro to Wood and Wire was incredible. Circles was the same way.

3. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

4. Dog with a Blog

Riley hasn’t always impressed me on like a level of intricacy I guess but man that dude is a human metronome. He’s always on point

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  5. socklord

Trusted

Damn, I think his style became more intricate and much more interesting starting with The Alchemy Index.

6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

yeah riley is great, wild take

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  7. Dog with a Blog

I’m complimenting him

8. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

9. socklord

Trusted

As a drummer, if someone called me a “human metronome” I guess that’s cool, but it sounds weird and, to me, implies boredom. Drums are recorded to a metronome anyway. That’s the drummer’s job - to keep the beat, so it’s not really much of a compliment because you might as well be saying “I’m not always impressed with his playing, but at least he does his job.”

10. socklord

Trusted

Anyway, here’s a live video of the Beggars show. Poor quality, but not awful.

Cameron likes this.
  11. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Now that I think of it, yeah, fuck off @Dog with a Blog

can’t believe you’d so blatantly and purposefully insult my boy Riley like that

Ken and Dog with a Blog like this.
  12. Dog with a Blog

Ikr

Ken and oncenowagain like this.
  13. zacooper

Regular

I filmed the full show for those who weren't able to be there. Don't worry, I didn't hold my camera up like a jerk. Had a good spot on a higher tier and just kept it in front of my chest while I enjoyed watching the show. Quality is a little low on video since I was decently far back, but I think the sound is decent for a live recording on an older cell phone. Enjoy!

14. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

EDIT: Oh, "Circles" sounds goooooood.

Ken and anonimito like this.
  15. stonecoldnimrod

roamer. wanderer. nomad. vagabond.

THANK YOU

i was sooo cloooose to goin to this show, but alas, it didn't happen.
    sound quality is great tho. especially after converting it into mp3 and raising the volume levels on audacity.
    once i get the time to play with it some more it'll make a nice bootleg album.
    ...in the meantime. (unless/until the band released this as a live cd/download.)

wood&wire likes this.
  16. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

UK hardcore band Palm Reader doing a pretty faithful rendition of Circles:

17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Damn and Conjurer

18. Tomozaurus

Regular

I think the EP is split between Conjurer and Palm Reader, but the Thrice cover is by the latter.

Cameron likes this.
  19. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

I’m ready to say Palms is better than TBEITN. Just feels like a healthier variety of songs. And Hold Up The Light gets a lot of hate here but it fucking slaps

renoinexile and RyanPm40 like this.
  20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Hold Up a Light isn’t nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

21. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Everything Belongs is easily my least favorite track from Palms.

22. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

I think I’m with you there. As for Hold Up a Light, I feel that It does the straight rock thing better than most of their other recent material. I prefer thrice a little more experimental but I can’t deny they nailed a lot of the more straight forward stuff on the last two albums.

23. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

honestly don't really care for either album. the most recent one that i go back to with any sort of regularity is beggars.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Of course Beggars is their best album.

Anthony Brooks and phaynes12 like this.
  25. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Cameron likes this.